Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Chicken - Need to Feed A Crowd

Options
I'm looking for a good recipe for BBQ chicken. I'm up for doing breasts, whole chickens or really anything. Anyone have a good one that they can share? Thanks for your help.
Large BGE, DigiQ DX2

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

First, how many people do you consider "a big crowd"?  I would get some small fresh chickens from my local butcher shop and have them cut them up.  I would brine them for at least six hours and cook them in groups - like all the wings, all the leg quarters or thghs and legs.  Those would be cooked indirect.  Then i would do all the breats direct and cooked to temperature.

• 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm feeding about 15 people for my birthday.
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Options
    What BBQ sauce do you prefer?
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Why not buy three different types of BBQ sauce, a sweet tomato, a sweet tomato with soe heat and a vinegar based sauce?  All on the side for the people to choose..  Fifteen people could easily be fed by five spatchcocked chickens -- what size egg do you have?
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Options
    Large
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    You could easily cook five spatchcocked chickens in less than three hours keeping the first cooked ones warm in a cooler.  Then just before serving time cut them up!  That would give you 40 pieces of chicken which will be plenty..  This will allow you an easy cook while enjoying a few beverages on your birthday, stress free since the spatchcocked method is foolproof..
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Options
    Ok great. Ill look up that way
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Happy BDay by the way, and hope you have a great day. 
    6 parted birds are easier to fit, I'd stick with breasts and legs. Easier to fit on the grill and you might get everything done in one cook. Wings are good, but not much meat on them, a crowd of 15 could easily eat 100 wings (Well if @Griffin & I am in the crowd)
    6 chickens will give you 12 legs, 12 thighs and 24 half breasts. 48 pieces all about the same size so they cook at similar times. Throw the 12 wings in your freezer for a later cook. Or just buy legs and bone in breasts. 

I like @Charlie_tuna idea of three basic sauces, added after; easy, quick and folks can get what they want. 
    I've "squeezed" three parted birds on my MBGE. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    a crowd of 15 could easily eat 100 wings (Well if @Griffin & I am in the crowd)...

Travis and I could eat 100 wings. I used to do that routinely with a buddy in my younger days.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Thighs and breasts marinated over night in: 2/3 cup KC Masterpiece Jerk Marinade, 1/3 cup Tiger sauce, and 2 packets of splenda.  Cook raised direct at 350 and it is awesome.  If you are cooking a lot, double the recipe.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Did somebody say wings? Mmmm...wings.

Happy birthday, btw.

Do you have an AR or other product to help you cook all that chicken? Using an AR and a BGE Grid Extender, I was able to fit 12 chicken thighs and a mess of chicken legs on mine. Could have fit more, but that was all I needed at the time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You could think about doing pulled chicken the day before and reheating.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    this was with turkey but maybe it will give you some ideas

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418/low-and-slow-turkey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 0oHUNTo0
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to do a bunch of legs and breasts. I also like the idea of doing a few differents sauces. Any thoughts on a good vinegar one? In Georgia we have tons of tomato and mustard base ones but I don't know much about vinegar. I have one of those 3 tier grates do hopefully I can squeeze it all on.

350 direct? What temp internal do you shoot for?

Large BGE, DigiQ DX2