Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to forum.

hi all , first post for me.I 'm planning on purchasing a L or XL egg which my son will built a table for.Looked at some of the wonderfull tables some of you have made makes me Green with envy (pun intended).One question I had was that I had seen a review by an owner who said some of the steel  parts we're rusting,I take it this is a rare complaint?

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Welcome!

I would say that it is quite rare, as it is rarely mentioned. I see cracks mentioned more than anything; these are quite rare themselves.

Don't worry and jump right in. The water's fine!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I can't recall a rusting of steel parts? You may have seen a post or 100 of late about a product called ManGrates that are showing rust (not BGE). You may have seen my metal top that was rusted (operator error). If you can help with what it was will try better to answer. Like Eggcelsior said, jump in the water.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Welcome aboard-it is a game changer as you have likely sorted out.  Notice you mention a L or XL-plenty of discussion on that topic-the search function is very weak here but if you use google and add "big green Egg" to your query you should get lots of hits.  BTW-the general consensus is to "get the biggest one you can afford".  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome, get an egg and go crazy.

The rust may have been a thread regarding an owner who is on the coast, with lots of salt spray. Pretty much any metal will rust when exposed to salt water. That's the only time I recall any rust discussions. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    lousubcap said:
    BTW-the general consensus is to "get the biggest one you can afford". 
    Not so fast, Pilgrim !  I have found that people recommend the model that they own themselves (with a few exceptions).  With most things, I tend to agree with Lou's assessment, with the tweak "get the most expensive one you can afford", which generally equates to quality.

However, you should give serious thought to your expected quantity of cooking.  If you are feeding 30 people, sure, the XL is the way to go.  However, if not, it is very large, heavy, and takes more lump.  Many people use their Mini 90% of the time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Welcome,  you came to the right place,  it's Awsome here lots of help,  the people are very nice c and will help you anytime.  Have a blast.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I have two XLs and normally cook for 2 people.  I only light enough lump to cover the amount of grate space I need for what I'm cooking.  I can do indirect and direct at the same time and the amount of lump used is minimal for small meals.  I have friends with larges and we did some comparisons on lump usage and it turned out to be really close between the two.  I use at least one of my XLs every night.  Check out all the threads on what other egg owners have to say about the different sizes.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    dlk7 said:

I have two XLs and normally cook for 2 people.  I only light enough lump to cover the amount of grate space I need for what I'm cooking.  I can do indirect and direct at the same time and the amount of lump used is minimal for small meals.  I have friends with larges and we did some comparisons on lump usage and it turned out to be really close between the two.  I use at least one of my XLs every night.  Check out all the threads on what other egg owners have to say about the different sizes.

Welcome to the forum!!!

You have 2 XL eggs for 2 people? I think I found Grill Barrows target audience.
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Aye, thanks for the imput.Kinda deciding if I want to get a large first and a small down the road or just do the XL.I generally cook for immediate family with a couple of larger get-to-gethers 3 or 4 times a summer. No rush though my back yard still has 3 feet of snow on the deck (Northern Ontario).

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    IrishDevl said:

Welcome to the forum!!!

You have 2 XL eggs for 2 people? I think I found Grill Barrows target audience.
    I think the grill barrows are for the new XXL owners. One of mine is in a powder coated aluminum table and the other is in a nest.  We throw some good sized parties from time to time but mostly just me and SWMBO.  Easy to use, easy to clean, and the direct, indirect, and raised grid all at the same time makes the XL very efficient and effective.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Agree with VI, of course I have the large so of course I'd recommend it. With a few accessories you can feed quite a few people with the large. Usually just me and SWMBO large is more than sufficent. Thinking about a mini to add to the family!

Welcome aboard, whatever you choose you'll be happy!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    How big of a pig can the XXL fit?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Welcome aboard! I have the large. It's me, the wife, and six (yes I said six) kids. The large is plenty big enough. Although I hope to have a small before long. Good luck, take lots of pics, drink lots of beer, and have fun.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .