Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monkey see, Monkey do ... Bacon question

2»

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I normally cut a little bit right away to just test it :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    You should be fine if you use pink salt in the cure. Same thing happened to me when I did mine and I just fried some up today. As of now I'm still doing great.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I just hooked my maverick up because I was doubting the dome thermometer. Looks like the grate temp was around 93-95 degrees. Not ideal, but less than 100 which is what Charcuterie says to aim for. I am going to let it mellow for 24 hours then slice it. We will see tomorrow!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    good call on the maverick.  you should be solid, smoke and salt should take care of the rest.  
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    With round 3 at the Masters on this afternoon, what better way to celebrate it than with finally smoking my bacon. Heated the AMPS for about a half hour while I cleaned out the Egg and got it ready. It's a nice cool day as Mother Nature has made a few day return to remind us how much of a bi#€h she can be. Let the maze get going for about 10 minutes before I dropped it in. I accidentally lit it from both end, but blew the second one out quickly. Hopefully it'll just die off. The temp is slowly climbing, hope it settles soon. Can't wait to see this in 6-8 hours. Wish me luck.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • GA_Dawgs
    It may not snuff out on the end you blew out. Just move all the smoldering pellets into the area that has already burned out on that side and make sure there is a gap between that and unburned pellets.
  • Chubbs said:
    @Centex I just pulled mine from the egg. Kind if concerned. Went out there after 6 hours and the egg temp was 120. Got incredible smoke coloring but it was a little warm to the touch and flimsy. I pulled them and put them in fridge. Think still okay?
    sorry chubbs. Just saw this. It's kind of a hot smoke. Should have been ok though. How did it turn out

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double said:
    My concern would be that's danger zone territory depending on how long it was sat at 120... Although not sure how much it being cured changes things. Interested to see what @nolaegghead and @centex think
    Since it's been cured, the normal time and temp rules don't really apply. People used to just hang bacon and hams from the rafters in their homes for months. You are totally fine in this case. I cold smoked mine at like 50 degrees for 14 hours last time. I'm doing some next week and it's in the 60's at night. it will be out of the "safe zone" for many hours. No worries.

• Greeno55
    GA_Dawgs said:
    It may not snuff out on the end you blew out. Just move all the smoldering pellets into the area that has already burned out on that side and make sure there is a gap between that and unburned pellets.

Thanks @GA_Dawgs. I decided to go have a peak and it didn't snuff out. First time I ever tried it, it kept going out on me because I blew it out too early, so I figured it would. But this time I warmed the smoker and pellets in the oven as many have suggested and it just kept burning. I made sure to pull the smoking ones away from the rest. Oh well, first two hours with double smoke shouldn't hurt it. Now I guess I'll just run out a bit early. Bacon is both looking and smelling unreal.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • GA_Dawgs
    edited April 2013
    It will turn out great. I let mine go about 7-8 hours and it was awesome. You should have plenty of pellets left to go 8 hours.
  • Greeno55
    Pretty happy with the results. But as with the first time with anything, I know where I'd like to make improvements. Could use a little more saltiness. What percentage to you pros go with? According to my curing calculator, this was 2.5%. Also, I couldn't get pink curing salt. I used some white curing salt my butcher gave me to try. Would that make a difference?

I must also say I love the simplicity and effectiveness of the AMPS. Great product that performs as promised.
  • Also, I couldn't get pink curing salt. I used some white curing salt my butcher gave me to try. Would that make a difference?

yes. That is your issue

• Greeno55
    edited April 2013
    Simple as that Cen Tex? Can you (or anyone) explain why?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Greeno,

Just got back from the butcher with some curing salt. I was thinking the maple sugar flakes you can get at Metro/A&P. Any thoughts?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Hey LS, I'm likely not the one to ask, but I'd love to know. Today was my first bacon attempt. I poured about an oz. of good ol' Northern Ontario maple syrup on mine and was really impressed. Where do you buy your pink salt from? Having a hard time finding it up here.
  • double
    @greeno55 I got mine from Amazon.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Little Steven
    I didn't get pink salt. I asked my butcher to get it for me and he forgot. He gave me a few ounces of the white curing salt today. I'll pick up some bellies and cheek meat through the week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55 said:
    Simple as that Cen Tex? Can you (or anyone) explain why?

I'm by no means a curing expert but it's my understanding that pink salt has sodium nitrite in it (some have nitrate and nitrite for dry curing). This is what gives cured foods like bacon and ham their distinctive cured flavors. I have never heard of a curing salt that is white other than normal saly which is used to cure as well. There may be a white curing salt containing sodium nitrite out there but I haven't seen it. Haven't looked too hard for it but a cursory glance on google came up with nothing. Would love to know about it if it's out there.
  • Little Steven
    Pink salt is a diluted version of curing salt. I don't remember the percentage but I'm thinking 10X. God I miss stike

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Morton's tender quick is white it has both nitrite and nitrate in it as well as salt. I did my first batch with it per thirdeye on playingwithsmokeandfire.com. Also LS I think the maple flakes could be used instead of sugar in your cure and/or during smoking, instead of using maple syrup.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    #1 pink curing salt contains 6.25% sodium nitrite.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Greeno55
    I've got my smoked bacon sitting wrapped in the fridge tonight mellowing, and waiting to be sliced tomorrow. I don't have a real high end slicer, but will try it anyway before I resort to free handing it. How long should I throw it in the freezer to get it solid enough to slice?
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    greeno55 - i'm in toronto, and found it tough to find pink salts as well. ended up buying on amazon. apparently available at williams & sonoma in canada also. 
    nothing better than maple bacon - just finished smoking & curing a batch yesterday. having a slicer, vacuum sealer and chest freezer are all handy extras to help save the treasure!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

Greeno55 said:
    Hey LS, I'm likely not the one to ask, but I'd love to know. Today was my first bacon attempt. I poured about an oz. of good ol' Northern Ontario maple syrup on mine and was really impressed. Where do you buy your pink salt from? Having a hard time finding it up here.
    I get mine from stuffers.com they are located in BC.  Shipping is fast but a bit expensive if you only order curing salt....  Ship to a business address if you can, it is cheaper.

Does anyone have a recommendation about how long I should throw these into the freezer before I begin slicing? Thanks
  • double
    @greeno55 I have read 20 minutes so that's what I did. I would probably go 30 next time though.
    Lynnwood WA
  • U_tarded said:
    Morton's tender quick is white it has both nitrite and nitrate in it as well as salt. I did my first batch with it per thirdeye on playingwithsmokeandfire.com. Also LS I think the maple flakes could be used instead of sugar in your cure and/or during smoking, instead of using maple syrup.
    Probably what it is then. good to know