Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just about naked gasket.

Just before Easter I did a clean burn to neat up the egg and that finished off most of what was left of the gasket. I know there are many of you who go naked but do you clean up and scrape off the remaining gasket? If you do clean it off how do you do it? I'm having issues with temp control or I would be right up there with the naked gasket group!
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I cleane mine really well with acetone and a paint scrapper. I am eventually going to replace mine with a Nomex I have. I can still hold temps well, but it takes longer to snuff out the fire.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Thanks Chubbs. I see work in my future. What does the acetone do?
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    Don't use acetone. Go to the naked whiz site and look st the section on replacing a gasket. There is a paint stripper wheel for a drill that will take the junk off and wont damage the ceramic. Then just a pumice stone and elbow grease and clean up the edge a bit more.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Acetone is fine, used it many times. Do not use too much, apply with a brush and make sure the egg and you are well ventilated. Scrape, works best on a warm egg. Acetone will clean the remaining "glue" from the old gasket. Makes for a clean surface to stick the new one if you choose to. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I just used a paint scraper. Nothing to it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I  scraped mine off yesterday, used acetone to melt the adhesive and scrape it. Took me about an hour to scrape both rings.Put the new nomex gasket on. Wasn't as bad as I thought.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have replaced three original factory gaskets, all were less than a year old and all were "flaking off" the ceramic edge. I used RRP's gasket replacement instructions and bought all the suggested materials. I never had to use the stone, between the wire wheel and acetone, I cleaned the ceramic edges completely. All three eggs are functioning great with the Rutland gasket.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've got one of the bge replacements at home. I can look and see what they recommend for removal and clean up if ya want me to when I get home.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Or you can not do anything. My older Large has not had a gasket or gasket cleaning in 4 or 5 years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have replaced three original factory gaskets, all were less than a year old and all were "flaking off" the ceramic edge. I used RRP's gasket replacement instructions and bought all the suggested materials. I never had to use the stone, between the wire wheel and acetone, I cleaned the ceramic edges completely. All three eggs are functioning great with the Rutland gasket.
    Did this yesterday and am totally stoked with the results!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you're not going to put another gasket on, you don't need to degrease it.  You don't need to do anything, really.  If you're putting a new gasket on, you need to mechanically remove the old gasket and degrease it so the adhesive on the new gasket sticks well.  You can use isopropanol or acetone to degrease.
    @mrcookingnurse, I'll go to the egg store on Monday, thanks. @Mickey, I aspire to have your gasket set up but it's not working for me. I had the vents nearly closed and I can't seem to control the temp anymore and smoke is coming out the sides of the egg.
  • GrannyX4
    @nola, I can't control the fire anymore and smoke is coming out the sides of the egg. I think I need to do something, I just don't know what that is.
  • nolaegghead
    You can loosen the hinge straps and prolly get it aligned a little better, but take the remains of the gasket off first.
    I got out the big green egg book and it says to use acetone. I can see the need to use it but I have a hard time using it where I cook food. I scraped trying to get the humps even and I bent down to look at my progress and I could see from side to side. MDSH suggest we call someone to fix it and I have to agree with him. Adjusting bolts is not on our list of jobs that we can accomplish. ;;)
  • nolaegghead
    Run the egg for a while before scraping the old gasket - it seems to help.  If you put a new gasket on, something you can do, you may not need to align....although it should be done (using the dollar bill test).  It's actually really easy, I know you guys can do it. :D
    edited April 2013
    You're right, I can put on a gasket but the bolts are a different story. This gap would take a stack of bills.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I used a palm sander.. med grit... about 20 minutes
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I used a scraper, a wire wheel, and then moved to a sander too. The wire wheel would not touch some of the carbonized gasket residue.

Granny, I had an alignment problem too and it turned out to be easy to fix. Close the lid, and loosen the bolt on the top band. You may find that the lid falls into place pretty easily, and then you re- tighten the band.
  • GrannyX4
    Thanks everyone for your help. When MDSH and I looked at the bolts And tried to move them we decided that this was not a job for us. Paul from the BGE store is coming out on Tuesday to replace the gasket, bolts and align the bands. Wooooohoooo! Another day in Paradise! ;;)
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    edited April 2013
    I would not worry about using acetone in relation to later cooking on the egg. Acetone evaporates quickly. If you are still worried, then realize it will burn off in a flash. We used it in chemistry lab for cleaning glassware.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    GrannyX4 said:
    Thanks everyone for your help. When MDSH and I looked at the bolts And tried to move them we decided that this was not a job for us. Paul from the BGE store is coming out on Tuesday to replace the gasket, bolts and align the bands. Wooooohoooo! Another day in Paradise! ;;)
    got a great dealer i see :)

XLBGE 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use one of these to remove mine.  Works great and doesn't damage the egg.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • GrannyX4
    BOWHUNR said:
    I use one of these to remove mine.  Works great and doesn't damage the egg.

Mike

I volunteered to take the gasket off but Paul said he would do it all. All for a price that I will gladly pay to get my egg up a running again.
  • GrannyX4
    @mrcookingnurse, yes the store does take good care of us. It's a family run pool supply business and we leave a lot of money there. We had to do a lot of sweet talking but he did come around thank goodness. ;;)