Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some Very Thick Ribeyes: Reverse Sear Help

Options
Landed some thick (1.5 -2in) ribeye steaks for dinner tonight. I have been cooking my steaks relatively fast, high heat, direct on the grid for about 4 min per side. I'm not sure that's going to cut it with something this thick. I'm thinking about trying the reverse sear - never done that before but some of you really swear by it. From what I can gather I just cook them indirect at 220 or so until the internal temp is somewhere north of 100. Then crank up the heat and follow the same basic searing process above. Is there any more to it? It'd be nice not to completely screw this up.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Reverse sear will work, but closer to 300 for the indirect.  I have a smacker gris I drop down right onto the coals for the sear.  You may want to try TRex method:

SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you got it.  Like TJ said- you don't have to go that low.  You can do the indirect at a higher temp.  IMO, the lower n slower you go the more smoke flavor they will take on (which could be good or bad...depending on your taste). 

Last time I did it I used a CI griddle for the sear.  I took them to about 125, let them rest while the egg/griddle heated up, then i put them on about 60-90 seconds per side.  The way I look at it- you want to get them close to your target temp during the indirect roast (perhaps a little below).  For the sear- you are really just trying to put the grill marks on them and form a quick crust.  So, go hot fast...and quick! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Like already said, rib eye's do not need as much smoke so I target for about 250-275 for the indirect (at the grid) so more like 300 dome. The cook is slower, less chance of it running away on you - then sear quick and hot for looks. 
    I forgot a rib eye once, it was at close to 140 - I skipped the sear and served it with some nuke warmed au jus and horseradish. SWMBO thought it was a rib roast - sometimes you fall in and come up smelling like a rose. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That's "smaller grid", not smacker gris in my post above.