Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza issue?

I cooked my first pizza last week. I didn't do the whole parchment paper and caught hell getting the pizza off the peel. But it worked and tasted good. Today I bought some parchment paper. First of all, the dough did somewhat stick to the paper but it wasn't real bad. I saw in a few places that peopke put the parchment paper on the stone with the pizza for a few minutes, then remove it. I did that and the bottom of the pizza smelled like burnt parchment paper. But damn, the crust looked beautiful and the top was even prettier LOL

Any ideas on how to make the pizza transfer from the peel to the stone more easier?

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I skip the parchment and stick with the KISS principle, a sprinkle of semolina to act as "ball bearings" and a quick jerk of the peel and it slides right onto the stone, and no need to open the egg to remove the paper until the pie is done.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Same here, I give the peel a healthy dusting with corneal before putting the dough on. A quick flick of the wrist as I tilt the back of the peel up and the pizza slides right off onto the stone. I don't like using parchment paper at the 600 degree cooking tempurature I use. It doesn't take long for it to start charring. But others may have great ideas for using parchment paper.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    +1 on the corn meal. Just sprinkle some on the peel and the pizza will slide right off. Just be careful it does not slide off to fast and miss your stone. lol
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2013

I find corn meal and parchment totally unnecessary.  I don't put anything on the stone and just flour on my wood peel.  The trick is to have all your toppings ready to go and then give the peel a "shake" a couple times while putting the toppings on to make sure the dough isn't sticking.  I've never had a problem.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Ditch the pizza stone and cook your pizza in a cast iron skillet. Whoa they are good! B-)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    +1 for cornmeal  never sticks at all with that

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I use a little semolina, about a teaspoon or so.  I like it much better than cornmeal.  Whichever one you use, you have to master the little "flip of the wrist thing".  Tilt the peel, move slighlty forward and then jerk back slightly and let the pizza slide right off.

Like most things, it is easy when you know how to do it.  It is also a must to shake the peel a couple of times while you are putting the toppings on.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've been doing it on parchment paper for quite a while and have never had it stick or transfer flavor from the paper to the crust.  What brand paper did you get?
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Are sure you bought parchment paper?  Waxed paper looks similar but doesn't work the same, one of our neighbours used waxed paper in the oven and the paper caught fire and the food won't release from it.  If if the stone is hot enough to cause a burned flavour from the parchment it is hot enough to burn corn meal and flour.

Gerhard
  • Yes it's parchment paper, publix brand. I'll try the corn meal on the peel next time
    gerhardk said:
    Are sure you bought parchment paper?  Waxed paper looks similar but doesn't work the same, one of our neighbours used waxed paper in the oven and the paper caught fire and the food won't release from it.  If if the stone is hot enough to cause a burned flavour from the parchment it is hot enough to burn corn meal and flour.

Gerhard

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Yes it's parchment paper, publix brand. I'll try the corn meal on the peel next time

I've had Publix brand parchment paper burn in a 450 over before.  I wonder if it just isn't as good as the name brand stuff?

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use a Super Peel and it eliminates all issues. Now I usually make 3-13 pizzas at a time so if you just make one or two it may not be worth it. Ceramic Grill Works carries it so you could get some other BGE related things or dizzy pig rubs too. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37

I find corn meal and parchment totally unnecessary.  I don't put anything on the stone and just flour on my wood peel.  The trick is to have all your toppings ready to go and then give the peel a "shake" a couple times while putting the toppings on to make sure the dough isn't sticking.  I've never had a problem.
    This.

I messed around with cornmeal, but hate the texture of it in my crust.  Switched to semolina/flour combo for a couple pizza cooks and that worked fine.  Then realized that the best thing is just to make sure that the dough is fully up to room temp before working it out.  Use plenty of flour when working with the dough and dust the peel then top the pizza as soon as you can after getting it on the peel and then get it on the stone in the egg.  I have also found that letting the egg/stone sit idle at cooking temp for at least 45min or so makes the pizzas turn out so much more consistent. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • I dunno. I used parchment on my last pizza cook and it worked perfectly. :))

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I really do use parchment and I don't even remove it until after the cook. Works perfect for me. I cook at 550-600

• BTW- you can see that fist pic still has the parchment underneath it that was used in the cook.. You can see it's not scorched at all. it imparts no flavor to the cook
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    BTW- you can see that fist pic still has the parchment underneath it that was used in the cook.. You can see it's not scorched at all. it imparts no flavor to the cook
    Out of curiosity, are you using brand-name parchment or a store brand?

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • gerhardk
    We use the stuff CostCo sells, one box lasts us for 2 or 3 years.

Gerhard
  • dpittard said:
    BTW- you can see that fist pic still has the parchment underneath it that was used in the cook.. You can see it's not scorched at all. it imparts no flavor to the cook
    Out of curiosity, are you using brand-name parchment or a store brand?
    Store brand from HEB here in S/Central Texas

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I tried parchment a couple times and the area under the pie doesn't scorch at all but the edges sure did, I just found that it was no needed and a dusting of semolina or cornmeal was easier for me.

Please note the last 2 words above!!!!!

I worked in an on campus pizza by the slice shop for 2 years in college, so I messed around with a whole lots pies back in the day

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Costco Parchment paper here. I do pull it out after about 5 min. Just be sure to trim the edges before you put it on the stone.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• gerhardk
    edited April 2013
    I guess I have shown this video few times but here is my on baking pizza on the egg.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I dunno. I used parchment on my last pizza cook and it worked perfectly. :)) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    I found the perfect way to avoid that outcome.  Last Monday, porterhouse steaks were on sale...but I already had Mon/Tues dinner planned.  Of course, I bought a pair of big ones anyway.  And of course, Wednesday night came around, and it was raining all evening.  What'd I do?   Put hats on me and the egg, and cooked steaks (40min @275 indirect, followed by direct reverse sear) in the rain.  I have to admit, after seeing your pics, I reluctantly did a very short clean burn, then shut things down, and left the table out in the rain.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Every time I see that Cen Tex pic I think more and more about egging with my sprinkler on.