Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Legs

The usual.  Well marinated in Allegro Hot & Spicy.  Raised direct at 400 until the internal was in the 180s.  Crispy skin and spicy meat.  A favorite weekday cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Looks good as ever Doc!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You got legs.  You know how to use em. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice looking meal.  I sometimes lay 3-4 eggstra legs on the top.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    nice cook man, ive gotta get one of those leg holders

XLBGE 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    You have the best looking legs.....well you kow what I mean.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    tulocay said:
    You have the best looking legs.....well you kow what I mean.
    Try that Allegro if you are OK with a little spicy.  It makes the skin turn out really nice.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I agree with tulocay.  (well, kind of)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks outstanding! My wife and I have strayed from the path with our low carb diet lately. We are getting back on it this coming week. Will be doing lots of cooks like yours again in the near future.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Ambassador Eggerton, you've got to hook me up with some of that sauce plus Dichickos! I can't find it around me!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited April 2013
    I ordered two of those leg racks a couple days ago.  Can't wait to get them in and use them!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Doc_Eggerton
    Ambassador Eggerton, you've got to hook me up with some of that sauce plus Dichickos! I can't find it around me!
    I buy Allegro at Publix.  Best there is for the legs, and I use it on beef as well.  Dichickos can be had on-line at https://dichickos.com/ .

• Eggcelsior
    I buy Allegro at Publix.  Best there is for the legs, and I use it on beef as well.  Dichickos can be had on-line at https://dichickos.com/ .
    No Publix near me. I think it is available at Harris Teeter but that is an hour away so I would have to be in the neighborhood. Same with Dichicko's. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Have a Kroeger (sp?) or Fred Meyer near you? 
    Thanks to Doc, I found it at Fred Meyer. It is a made for leg/thigh sauce, has become our goto. 

Thanks again Doc.

@AlbertaEgger - this is the Doc I was trying to refer you to as the best "leg man" on the forum. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Nope. No Kroger chains in the mid-Atlantic. We only have Safeway, Weis, Giant Eagle, Giant, Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, bottom dollar, Aldi, Lauers and Macgruders, Shop Rite, and Eddies. The ones you may have never heard of are all local chains. 

Harris Teeter is usually the only viable option for stuff since it is a North Carolina-based store. That's the only place I can find many sauces and rubs outside of the Egg dealers or online.
  • I have been seeing those leg racks.  what are the pros/cons?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have been seeing those leg racks.  what are the pros/cons?
    WHY... I can do 6 on the Mini and more than I can eat on the Large just laying down. I just don't see the need for a rack. Now an Adj Rig is a whole different thing.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mickey said:
    I have been seeing those leg racks.  what are the pros/cons?
    WHY... I can do 6 on the Mini and more than I can eat on the Large just laying down. I just don't see the need for a rack. Now an Adj Rig is a whole different thing.......
    Yes, Mickey likes to lay them down.  That way, there's no chance they will be raw when you eat them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton

I find the rack leads to a very even, crisp skin all the way round.  A lot of our toys don't really make a difference, but I do think legs come out better this way.

With no need for turning, the dome stays closed the whole time.  Takes 35 minutes at 400 to hit the 180's internal.

• Looks darn good, good cook.
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Doc, have you ever tried "fried" chicken legs this way, meaning have you ever dredged and coated them before roasting? I want to try that this weekend, just wondering your thoughts...
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc, have you ever tried "fried" chicken legs this way, meaning have you ever dredged and coated them before roasting? I want to try that this weekend, just wondering your thoughts...
    No I haven't.  Make sure you give us some pics.

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    No Publix near me. I think it is available at Harris Teeter but that is an hour away so I would have to be in the neighborhood. Same with Dichicko's. 

@Eggcelsior There is a HT off 28 near Gaithersburg/darnestown if you weren't aware, I hit that one on my way home if I am looking for this kind of stuff.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD