Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And now, my first pizza!

Options
Dave_Matthews
Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
As I continue through the rites of passage, I present my first pizza, actually two identical ones.  Store bought crust and sauce for now until I get more experience.  Italian 5 cheese pack from Publix, prosciutto, pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, and sliced plum tomato.  10 minutes at 600 degrees.  REAL FINE!  (The stuff on the upper right of the cooked pizza picture is some corn meal I spilled.)

Dave

no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR

Comments

• Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Way to go. Looks pretty good! I just can't get enough of pizza on the egg. My one suggestion... Make sure the egg is good and hot!

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Looks great for a first time!   I liked making my own dough but I've become lazy and now buy it from a grocery store near here.
    Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks real fine from here!  Love the combination of toppings.  What kind of crust...Mama Mary's?

Publix around me sells the dough balls if you want that "home made" look ;).  They are kind of a pain to stretch out.  You have to leave them out of the fridge for a while before they are pliable. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks good.  Pizza is my favorite thing off the Egg.  So many different ways to do it - Chicago Deep Dish, Pan, Detroit Style, NY Style, Thin Crust.  One of my best thin crusts was with store bought dough (Wegman's) using a CI pizza pan.
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Great job! Just did pizza tonight myself - cheese for the kids plus a spinach and sun dried tomato. Now that we've eaten pizza this good, can't go back o delivery!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Good job dave, get with some Antico Caputo 00 flour.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks a lot better than my first attempt at homemade pizza!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Very nicely done, pizza is a favourite at our house, The egg does a great job.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hallcoegggirl
    Options
    Hey I've never made a pizza before. What type of pan is everyone using? Or y'all just putting it on the rack? Are you using the plate setter or is this gone on open flame? Help I want pizza
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good cook, nice pie. 
    If you liked the store bought crust, continue with that for a few cooks, vary the toppings and sauce, experiment. Next step is your own dough with the toppings you have learned to love.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Hey I've never made a pizza before. What type of pan is everyone using? Or y'all just putting it on the rack? Are you using the plate setter or is this gone on open flame? Help I want pizza
    There are a few different setups...but one basic setup is: plate setter legs up, cooking grid on top of the plate setter, a pizza stone on the rack. Let the egg burn for a while so it is burning nice and clean.  A common mistake is to put the pizza on too soon and it will end up taking on too much smoke.  500+ degrees, put on your pizza and keep an eye on it.  Cooking times will vary based on crust, temp, etc.  You are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-8 minutes for what I would call a standard thickness crust. 

There are many variations on this but it will get you started!  Some people like to cook at a bagillion degrees for 20 seconds but I find 500 works for me :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Atta boy Dave, looks good enough to eat.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Dave_Matthews
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Deluca said:
    Way to go. Looks pretty good! I just can't get enough of pizza on the egg. My one suggestion... Make sure the egg is good and hot!

Yep. the first test pizza was after about 30 minutes of stable temp, it took 11 minutes before I removed it,,,and it was very good.  The second was after about 45 minutes and it was done within 10 minutes, and a bit burnt on the edges, I could have taken it off after 9.  So thanks for the tip, I will be sure to have it all hot and stable!
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dave_Matthews
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Looks real fine from here!  Love the combination of toppings.  What kind of crust...Mama Mary's?

Publix around me sells the dough balls if you want that "home made" look ;).  They are kind of a pain to stretch out.  You have to leave them out of the fridge for a while before they are pliable. 
    The crust was Boboli or something like that.  Nothing special to say about the crust.  There is a Publix in Brentwood (TN) that makes pizza, I will check if they can sell the dough ball.  My wife is going to try her hand at making the pizza dough as well.  Good times!

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Looks good Dave,  now get out there and make some homemade dough. It's really fun.  :-\"
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    There are a few different setups...but one basic setup is: plate setter legs up, cooking grid on top of the plate setter, a pizza stone on the rack. Let the egg burn for a while so it is burning nice and clean.  A common mistake is to put the pizza on too soon and it will end up taking on too much smoke.  500+ degrees, put on your pizza and keep an eye on it.  Cooking times will vary based on crust, temp, etc.  You are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-8 minutes for what I would call a standard thickness crust. 

There are many variations on this but it will get you started!  Some people like to cook at a bagillion degrees for 20 seconds but I find 500 works for me :)

Thanks for the reply SmokeyPitt, and to you Hallcoegggirl, I used the placesetter legs up for indirect cooking, and the Woo3 with the grill on top, and then the BGE pizza stone.
    Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Terrific looking pie!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Great work for your first pie!

The ants will go marching for that one!