Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Your Longest Egg "Drought"? OT

I haven't smelled burning lump since last Saturday and I may not again until this Sunday.  This got me to thinking about the longest I've been without Egging.  I think mine was two weeks.  What's yours?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Probably 3 weeks while I was doing quantum physics research.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I think probably 10 days max, mostly due to work and/or weather...
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    3 months. Had a baby who couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time for 6 months. After the 3 month mark I accepted the sleep as normal and started egging again. First thing I did was a clean burn to get rid of a bit of mold.
    Dunedin, FL
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I think the longest was around 5 days to a week. I use it a lot.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I haven't cooked much this winter. May have had 2 three week stretches w/o Egging.  Some of it is that I've been cooking a lot of things which don't benefit from the Egg. Some of it is the cold. Yes, I could make grilled cheese on the Egg, just not inclined to do it at 20F.

But mostly its because the last of out kids finally moved out. At this point, my wife and I don't even eat a whole rack of spares at one sitting. Anything other than a tiny cook, like a couple of burgers or chix pcs. leaves days of leftovers.

But the temp is supposed to reach 50F today, and I think I'll be smelling some smoke before dinner.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Probably two weeks. About to have a weeklong eggless stretch out of town..
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I prolly have little 3-5 day stretch quiet often cause of school, work and the baby's schedule.

Longest drought would be around 3 weeks, a mixture of terrible work weeks and some out of town trips. If it wasn't for living through some of y'all's cooks I'd be in dt's on an Ativan gtt

XLBGE 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    32 days while in Cali for work.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Bought my egg last mid October, Had a break in on November 7th Got cold and snow Mid November. 2 week vacation at the end of November. I was nervous to use it in our cold climate in December, until about 3 weeks ago. By my calculations, from the start of November to mid March............about 18-20 weeks. I have used it 3 out of the last 4 days cooking something up. Need to go and buy lump as I used the last of my stock.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

This winter has been my longest. Between snow, vacation and getting into sous vide it was probably two months. This was the first dump that I didn't clear. Eggs eventually got buried.

photo Caledon-20130208-00082.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I take a two week vacation every summer so two weeks here.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• This winter has been my longest. Between snow, vacation and getting into sous vide it was probably two months. This was the first dump that I didn't clear. Eggs eventually got buried.

photo Caledon-20130208-00082.jpg

we are from France..............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • a year. We moved back to TX from WI and we couldn't sell our house for a year. We lived in a furnished condo for a year and moved all our stuff after we sold. Good times.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Things like vacations, hospital stays or visiting family and friends is not really time away from egging, IMHO, eggs do not pack well on aircraft or cruise ships. (Although maybe @nolaegghead Mom could have used one when she was stuck on the "Sewage of the Sea".)
    While at home, maybe three days between using our MBGE is the longest stretch. Pizza at least once a week, some chicken and maybe the odd steak or ribs. At least once a month a pork butt when the "tribe" returns to the reservation for a weekend of feasting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Over my three+ years of ownership vacations up to ten days is my longest period...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Two weeks at most.  Cook every weekend I'm home and try at least once during the week if not traveling.  
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    About a week and a half.  But I had a good excuse because I was kidnapped by VI's biker game run by the notorious MC Hawking when they needed a driver to put a hurtin' on those MIT punks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wkw9nvRCY8
    edited April 2013

Funny this is one of the first threads I saw since I just got freed on account all the witnesses decided they did not see what they initially said they saw, so I'm back to egging after only 6 months instead of the 9 years everyone said I was going to get.

If something happens otherwise and I go back I will bring this thread back to life in 8 years just as a reminder.

In an idiots head.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    6 days when we went to Pensacola Beach on vacation last Thanksgiving.  4 days when I was on oxycodone for 2 kidney stones.  Since March 6th, 2012 I've cooked on at least one of my two XLs 372 times.  I love my eggs.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Things like vacations, hospital stays or visiting family and friends is not really time away from egging, IMHO, eggs do not pack well on aircraft or cruise ships. (Although maybe @nolaegghead Mom could have used one when she was stuck on the "Sewage of the Sea".)

While at home, maybe three days between using our MBGE is the longest stretch. Pizza at least once a week, some chicken and maybe the odd steak or ribs. At least once a month a pork butt when the "tribe" returns to the reservation for a weekend of feasting. 
    I bet a mini on afterburner would have taken care of some of that methane. Don't they burn cow crap for energy? It could have had them back to port in no time!