Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never Send your Wife Shopping for Meat!

My wife went to the store last night to pick up a few items and pork butt was on sale for $1.99/lb so I asked her to pick one up.  She came back with a 3.88lb piece of HOG :).  Although it's just the 2 of us, I like to cook 8-9lbs and be able to eat from it all week long, oh well....

I loaded up the egg last night with my first try at Wicked Good lump sprinkled with wood chunks.  The lump looked different and was huge compared to others I had tried.  I had some leftover homemade rib rub and figured it's just pork, so why not?  I lightly coated with yellow mustard then doused with the rub, foiled her up and placed it in the coldest part of the fridge.

Fired up the egg this morning, then re-coated the butt with more rub and placed in the freezer while the egg came up to temp and stabilized.  Tossed it on just before 9am and am now in the stall at 170.  Can't wait for dinner tonight....pics to follow :)

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I wonder how many other guys are sitting around wondering just how much they should agree with this thread's title?

Any chance SWMBO will ever read it?

Or meet the people who will read it?

Or see me smile/laugh at one of the following posts when I read it and then ask me "What's so funny..."?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My boss likes the freezer to always be stocked with some food-saved pulled pork.  She never buys less than 16 lbs :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    You need to be specific. Anyone who cooks frequently would think 4 lbs. of meat would be plenty for two people. When my husband goes to the store for me, whether to pick up a butt or canned tomatoes, I explain the item(s) in great detail, even writing down brands for him. I then make sure my phone is handy in case he needs to send a photo for confirmation. If he gets something wrong, I don't make a big deal about it; I only point it out if I think he'll be shopping for the same item in the future. I know he takes pains to get it right, and I appreciate his efforts. 

Be careful what you wish for. You want to do all the shopping? I think not. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Too true on the comments!  She'll never catch wind of the thread and I do most of the shopping but yes, I could have been more specific and that's exactly what she would have told me which is why I simply said thanks when she got home as I packed away the groceries :)

• Wilma bought steak one time and when I opened the package, I found the four steaks were different thicknesses.  I gave her a look and she said "Buy your own meat from now on!"
    Flint, Michigan
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My wife is just the opposite. 

She's come full circle on the Egg.  First questioning why I would spend so much money on a grill, to wanting to go to the butcher and high end grocer to get meat and plan meals.  Sometimes she'll just come home with a bunch of stuff because she wanted to see how it tasted from the Egg.
    :x
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I know everyone has a different spouse,  but I have to agree with this post. I buy the meat, not because she cant but because I like to get what and how much I want to cook, not whats the best deal, or the ever popular, there is only this many people its all we need. Blah, blah, blah. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @YEMTrey-you have hit the household lottery...when SWMBO is on your side then "you are home free".  Oh, to be so lucky!!  Enjoy the journey while you have it-the planets will mis-align soon enough and you will sit and wonder what happened :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Wilma bought steak one time and when I opened the package, I found the four steaks were different thicknesses.  I gave her a look and she said "Buy your own meat from now on!"
    LOL Fred...I can relate to that one.
    I was able to somehow have our hometown butcher "teach" my wife how to buy a ribeye ... start with a prime cut and look for a large... really, large lip.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited April 2013
    No problemos here...Both of us naive Texans are not meat market challenged.  OTOH when he makes his kitchen sink stew I do have to hide the file powder.  ;-)

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    We have an agreement, she buys the clothes for the grandkids, I buy the food cooked on the egg that goes into the grandkids that go into the clothes she buys. 
    Works great - I don't have to stand for hours looking at the "cutest little or most darling things" and she doesn't have to look at yukky meat. 
    Each of us has our own space and time......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!