Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of SELLING my LBGE w/compact table

When I bought my LBGE in Nov 2012 I was really hyped up about having one and just KNEW I would be using it everyday, since I live in Florida.  Well, the truth came out.  I am not a cook, don't desire of being one anymore so I thought I would just sell it.  Problem is. I really don't know what I should ask for it.  I'm gonna sell it locally, Pensacola, Fl., because I don't won't to deal with the shipping thing and I have a small trailer to help relocate it.  What would come with the sale is:  The LBGE, compact table (stained with Johnson's clear stain), plate setter, ashtool and the BGE cover for the compact table.  It's like new BUT it's used, very few times but used.  I have a little over $1200 invested in it.

If ya'll have any suggestions I would appreciate it and will consider all.  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    Summer is here. Lots of Fests will sell demos (with warranty) for all you said except table and cover for $750 including a nest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Agree with Mickey that right now and in FL, it is a buyer's market with the demos-but here is a link that may help you out:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php  And I won't try to suggest you give it another go!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I will try and convince you to give it another go.  Unless you are Warren Buffett a 50% loss in less then 7 months is not acceptable. You can learn how to use it if you spend time with the egg and read the forum. Look things up on YouTube. Do a little research and try again. You can learn to cook I guarantee it. If you are that convinced you don't want to try to learn then by all means what @Mickey and @lousubcap have said is dead on.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey said:
    Summer is here. Lots of Fests will sell demos (with warranty) for all you said except table and cover for $750 including a nest.
    I have to consider the table and the cover which would come to over $400.  That would put your price up to around $900-$950, not to say that $800-$850 would sound reasonable. 
  • Unfortunately, the cost of the lifetime warranty is built in to the original sales price. Since it's non-transferable, you are going to have to eat that part. Anyone who knows anything about BGE's will know this. Your best bet is to price it high on Craig's list and hope a newbie who wants to save a few hundred on one in great shape will buy it from you. That person may not know the value of the warranty, or may not know about it at all. Everyone on here understands the cost/value of the included lifetime warranty so $200-$300 off won't compel most on here to buy it. I would never pay more than half for a used one. I've used my warranty a ton and expect i will have to again. 

Sorry you don't enjoy it but as with all things in life, sometimes it's better to cut your losses and spend time and resources on things you truly enjoy. If you ever change your mind, we'll be here to get you headed the right direction. If not, good luck with the sale

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Unfortunately, the cost of the lifetime warranty is built in to the original sales price. Since it's non-transferable, you are going to have to eat that part. Anyone who knows anything about BGE's will know this. Your best bet is to price it high on Craig's list and hope a newbie who wants to save a few hundred on one in great shape will buy it from you. That person may not know the value of the warranty, or may not know about it at all. Everyone on here understands the cost/value of the included lifetime warranty so $200-$300 off won't compel most on here to buy it. I would never pay more than half for a used one. I've used my warranty a ton and expect i will have to again. 

Sorry you don't enjoy it but as with all things in life, sometimes it's better to cut your losses and spend time and resources on things you truly enjoy. If you ever change your mind, we'll be here to get you headed the right direction. If not, good luck with the sale

I've said this before but many people are under the belief that the warranty is non-transferrable.  That's simply not true.   I have it on good authority that they are transferrable if it was never registered.  A gentleman who bought my Egg has family who works for corporate BGE and he was told exactly that.   With that being said I would not sell my Egg after 7 months just because I can't get it going.  I'd look around, watch videos get the most out of it....It's a big loss you are taking.
    Large BGE

• EddieK76
    Now in addition to what I just said do not take the warranty thing as Bible either.  Because it could just be that he'd get away with it because he has family in Corporate.....
    Large BGE

• EddieK76 said:
    Unfortunately, the cost of the lifetime warranty is built in to the original sales price. Since it's non-transferable, you are going to have to eat that part. Anyone who knows anything about BGE's will know this. Your best bet is to price it high on Craig's list and hope a newbie who wants to save a few hundred on one in great shape will buy it from you. That person may not know the value of the warranty, or may not know about it at all. Everyone on here understands the cost/value of the included lifetime warranty so $200-$300 off won't compel most on here to buy it. I would never pay more than half for a used one. I've used my warranty a ton and expect i will have to again. 

I've said this before but many people are under the belief that the warranty is non-transferrable.  That's simply not true.   I have it on good authority that they are transferrable if it was never registered.  A gentleman who bought my Egg has family who works for corporate BGE and he was told exactly that.   With that being said I would not sell my Egg after 7 months just because I can't get it going.  I'd look around, watch videos get the most out of it....It's a big loss you are taking.
    You very well may be right on the warranty and they may do "case by case" deals. I'm just going by what they put in print. I know my shop won't do it. They require original receipt on everything. 

From BGE:

1. THE BIG GREEN EGG: Each Big Green Egg® ceramic cooker (XLarge, Large, Medium, Small and Mini) carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty for materials and workmanship on all ceramic components (including dome, base, damper top, fire box and fire ring) to the original purchaser or owner who has purchased the product from an Authorized Dealer (the “Warranty”) and has registered their Warranty as required. This Warranty is valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the EGG®

Pretty clear what their intentions are anyway. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    EddieK76 said:

If the warranty wasn't registered, it never existed. Therefore, it cannot be transferred. It would be registered as a new warranty.

If the warranty was registered, is is non-transferable. 

Cen-Tex is right. The caveat you mentioned does not pertain to what CT meant. He is presuming that the OP registered his warranty(which most do), not the other way around.

Here is the BGE warranty statement from their website

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE BIG GREEN EGG LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

1. THE BIG GREEN EGG: Each Big Green Egg® ceramic cooker (XLarge, Large, Medium, Small and Mini) carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty for materials and workmanship on all ceramic components (including dome, base, damper top, fire box and fire ring) to the original purchaser or owner who has purchased the product from an Authorized Dealer (the “Warranty”) and has registered their Warranty as required. This Warranty is valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the EGG® or covered component, except for other ceramic, metal and wood components which are covered as explained below. This warranty is in addition to and does not affect your statutory rights.

• Eggcelsior
    Oops. CT beat me to it.
  • EddieK76
    Yeah I think the registered part is the issue.   I don't believe I actually registered mine I just have my receipt from both Eggs I purchased.   Not trying to start a fight just going by what the guy who bought mine said :)
    Large BGE

• EddieK76 said:
    Yeah I think the registered part is the issue.   I don't believe I actually registered mine I just have my receipt from both Eggs I purchased.   Not trying to start a fight just going by what the guy who bought mine said :)
    You aren't starting any fights.  it's good information to know. I wonder how long you can wait before registering before they cry foul? Seems they address that in there as well with the "and has registered their warranty as required".  Kind of ambiguous with no "by this time" attached that statement. could be some wiggle room there.

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 said:
    You aren't starting any fights.  it's good information to know. I wonder how long you can wait before registering before they cry foul? Seems they address that in there as well with the "and has registered their warranty as required".  Kind of ambiguous with no "by this time" attached that statement. could be some wiggle room there.

I'm also guessing that my new one I just bought was registered by Duane at Corporate when I scanned in my receipt so he could send me a new Daisy Wheel....
    Large BGE

• EddieK76 said:
    EddieK76 said:

I'm also guessing that my new one I just bought was registered by Duane at Corporate when I scanned in my receipt so he could send me a new Daisy Wheel....
    the one I bought recently was registered on the spot at the dealer as well. That keeps it pretty tidy. My first dealer did not do that and i had to beg a little when using the warranty a few years later. Had to provide all the original docs etc.

• I registered mine but what I would do is tell the buyer that if anything breaks to just bring it to me and I would take it to my dealer as if it was mine and have it fixed or replaced.  I plan on selling locally.
  • Eggcelsior
    I registered mine but what I would do is tell the buyer that if anything breaks to just bring it to me and I would take it to my dealer as if it was mine and have it fixed or replaced.  I plan on selling locally.
    Whoa! Good Guy 1429trucker!

Now that is customer service!
  • I registered mine but what I would do is tell the buyer that if anything breaks to just bring it to me and I would take it to my dealer as if it was mine and have it fixed or replaced.  I plan on selling locally.
    Whoa! Good Guy 1429trucker!

Now that is customer service!
    That will keep the price up a little for you too. people helping people  ;)
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

EddieK76 said:

i had inhibitions about this when i bought my mini it was a super sweet deal because it was new old stock.  (old hinge, handle, porcelin grid) i got a reciept and registered it right away, won't know unless i have an issue but the deal I got is like 50/50 if it works great, if not i save a lot on it.