Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy cow. Feeling very lucky today.

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Glad you are OK.  Getting a fire extinguisher for the deck now, and rethinking fire safety.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Just now seeing this.. Glad you're ok and it was only a table.  I think you're right about it being the brush..  Is the brown spot just below the gasket level where the brush would have been?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Just now seeing this.. Glad you're ok and it was only a table.  I think you're right about it being the brush..  Is the brown spot just below the gasket level where the brush would have been?
    good eye. It could have been. I don't normally keep it on top of the table but I did some wings and pizza that day and spent a lot of time getting the grids cleaned up. I guess I left it there by accident. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    WOW, that is a scary pic. Really glad it turned out the way it did, it really could have been a different ending. The Mrs and I were talking about a table, looks like I'm pushing for SS or stone. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    It's easy to set a wire brush or towel or plastic handled knife down -- and it doesn't have to be a wood table.  This had me thinking and i am cooking a couple of butts this morning, and i started looking at my setup!!  Well my large in in a nest with fold out tables.  I could see where i could be in a hurry getting the meat off the grill and leave a towel resting on one of the egg's pedistals.  That could easily catch on fire if it was touching the outside of the egg.  Below the pedistal is a five gallon plastic bucket -- that would get going pretty damn good. Alongside the bucket is my offset smoker with a full canvas cover -- that burns good!!  Above the offset is a plastic Kayak.  That would have my whole porch on fire!!  I am re-arranging my set up as soon as it cools down from this butt cook!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm really glad to hear everyone is safe is sound and the damage is minimal.  Thanks for posting this CT.  It is definitely an eye opener.  We are all playing with fire! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Dayum! Count your blessings!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you don't accidentally set fire to the table, deck, house or hair, you're doing it right. 
    CT, it appears the fire did not start from the bottom, perhaps not having the paver was a blessing in disguise because its extra weight may have caused the whole thing to collapse? just wondering.
    canuckland
  • CT, it appears the fire did not start from the bottom, perhaps not having the paver was a blessing in disguise because its extra weight may have caused the whole thing to collapse? just wondering.
    Good call. It definitely started up top. Had to be my grill brush handle. The table was so rickety I was very lucky it didn't go over. Just got back from HD with a brand new paver though :)

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Glad it was just the table that got burned here. Let this be a cautionary tale for everyone here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @CT  I just heard from the president of the Fire Extinguisher Manufacturer's Society and he wanted to thank you for causing an entire forum to go into full-fledged paranoia mode.  Sales have never been so good, he said. :D
    @CT  I just heard from the president of the Fire Extinguisher Manufacturer's Society and he wanted to thank you for causing an entire forum to go into full-fledged paranoia mode.  Sales have never been so good, he said. :D
    Hahaha

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @CT  I just heard from the president of the Fire Extinguisher Manufacturer's Society and he wanted to thank you for causing an entire forum to go into full-fledged paranoia mode.  Sales have never been so good, he said. :D
    Hahaha
    I bought 2 today. bet the steel table industry is feeling pretty good about themselves too :)

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have a concrete deck and a house now clad in stucco over cement board. I ain't skeered. The old roof was aluminum and it went up like fireworks. I just need the granite for my table

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have a concrete deck and a house now clad in stucco over cement board. I ain't skeered. The old roof was aluminum and it went up like fireworks. I just need the granite for my table
    yeah, wifey wants another table instead of the nest. I prefer a table too so I'm going granite or steel top with a big fat paver underneath......and perhaps a grill brush with a steel handle.

I put all the insides back together and cooked on it tonight on a paver on the deck. That lamb ain't gonna cook itself. Back in the saddle..........

Got the warranty approved and headed in to get new ring and box tomorrow.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you have a used restaurant supply nearby check the stainless cabinets. I bought one ten years ago and it's just waiting for a top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    That's CRAZY!!!! I have a similar table and have left my egg smoldering for too long considering what I see. I do have an extinguisher and fortunately my table is on concrete but that's a true lesson learned for sure.

Glad everyone is OK, everyTHING else is replaceable.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    How do you think the brush handle caught fire?  Just being next to the Egg?  That does not seem right to me.  The Egg is usually "Cooler" on the outside.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:
    How do you think the brush handle caught fire?  Just being next to the Egg?  That does not seem right to me.  The Egg is usually "Cooler" on the outside.

still not sure what happened but the brush is incinerated. still piecing it all together
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

My table did the same thing and it wasn't a brush handle it caught around the edge of the table. I had cooked in this table for several years before this happened I guess the wood had dried just enough and the heat from the outside of th egg was hot enough. I haven't checked the outside ceramic temp on my large before but I have on my mini and the mini has registered over 500 degrees on the outside. I now make sure I have close to an inch gap all the way around the egg.

• Lit said:

My table did the same thing and it wasn't a brush handle it caught around the edge of the table. I had cooked in this table for several years before this happened I guess the wood had dried just enough and the heat from the outside of th egg was hot enough. I haven't checked the outside ceramic temp on my large before but I have on my mini and the mini has registered over 500 degrees on the outside. I now make sure I have close to an inch gap all the way around the egg.

wow. i need to figure out a better set up for mine. ft i want mine anywhere near my kitchen, it's going to be on a deck. my boards are not wood but all the railing is and so is the back part of my house.
  • Lit said:

btw- i have that black soot all over mine as well. I bought some TSP to scrub it with today. di you clean yours off and how did you do it?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wonder if the plastic on the brush acted as a heat conduit at least or possibly reached it's ignition point. Some plastics will ignite around 350 F. Possibly, the plastic melted allowing the metal in the handle to heat up enough to ignite the wood, which in dry, weathered wood, the point is around 150 F. Similar to how Lit's table burned, maybe the egg itself did this since you let it run on 600 for a prolonged time.

Hmmm....... A new wrinkle to add to the smoke ring experiment keeping me up at night.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    This thread is a great eye-opener. I forwarded to my brother who is about to build a table for his deck. I think I am going with a concrete/stone or stainless table.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Chubbs said:
    This thread is a great eye-opener. I forwarded to my brother who is about to build a table for his deck. I think I am going with a concrete/stone or stainless table.
    I'm now going stainless with a stone top(or concrete) or hardcore with Ipe wood, since it is apparently what diamonds are made of; it seems to eat up diamond drill bits after all ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ive read before that with repeated heatings the ignition point of wood goes down, i think that there was a study done with a steam pipe that touched a wood floor and eventually set it on fire. maybe something similar with an egg in a wooden table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Centex. The large cleaned up pretty easy think I just used a blue scotch brite pad. For some reason the small is older and not glazed as well and it still has black marks on it. I am sure I could get them off just lazy.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I do not like those pictures.  Time to move the Egg away from the house. Now to figure out how to make it usable downstairs in the yard - year round.  Had it in the yard last year and it was in a mud pit. Ended up not using it in the winter until I moved it up to the wooden deck.  We have been trying to use it at least once a week but its got to go back downstairs now.

Garnerville, NY