Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab topped Red Snapper with Saffron Cream Sauce

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
also, Saffron Orzo and Panko Roasted Green Beans (green beans done in the oven since I sold my other Egg)

After dinner, enjoying looking at our garden while drinking home made Pinot Grigio in our Official Vespa wine glasses.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Looks great all around! Nice work!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Nice cook VI!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot

Sounds wonderful.  I just told Bridget what you cooked and she said - "what are you waiting for ****?  get in the kitchen!"
    Pay heed to my Camp Woman from Salado.  The moment I saw her, I knew she could filet me in a Ponchartrain Second.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Excellente'. One of the pours looks a wee heavy. Bet it's yours.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fine meal. The wine and Vespa drinking vessels aint too shabby either :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Gary is just a show off. 

"look at my vespa" 
    "look at my unique flatware"
    "here is a bottle of home made wine"
    "my wife is awesome and a wonderful person"
    "excuse me while I bust out my pro camera set up"

blah blah blah
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2013
    Thank you Travis.  Sorry you feel that way.    To comment on each of your problems with me:

"look at my vespa" 
     I didn't name it my Vespa.  Mickey did.  I just went along with it.
     I try to present the meals the best way I can. Perhaps, that is wrong.  
      I only gave a bottle of my wine to two people at Salado.  You were one of them. I thought it was a special gift.  Mickey was appreciative.  I heard nothing from you.  It must have tasted like ****.
    Yes, she is. I'll show her your post.  She wanted to "adopt" you.
     I was asked what kind of camera I had.  I responded.

Thanks again, Travis.  Your post was really special !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

VI,

Gawd I wish you would stoppit!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Gary, the offer has been on the table to adopt me for a while. take a pass on Travis. You sold your mini??? I told you I would buy it!! Dayum
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Chubbs said:
    Gary, the offer has been on the table to adopt me for a while. take a pass on Travis. You sold your mini??? I told you I would buy it!! Dayum
    lol.  Thanks Chubbs.  I'd adopt you but you're name scares me.  I'm on a fixed income.

I sold my Medium Egg, so now I only have a Large and a Mini.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    First of all you are causing my dog not to eat with that picture. Second, what is the crap "sold" your FryDaddy?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited April 2013
    Gary is just a show off. 

"look at my vespa" 

blah blah blah
    Forgive me, friend. 

I was going to email you privately but my offense was public, let my contrition be public as well.

That was poor form on my part. I was attempting to humorously complement you on each of those things.   Each quote I wrote is something that I admire of you. Each item is something I am envious of. 

Please forgive me. I intended no harm. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Damn VI another awesome cook and pics of same!  I wish I had a small % of your eye for plating and photography.  For what it's worth, I took Travis's comment as he had intended.  I've never met either of you guys, but what I assumed he was trying to convey is the same things many of us on this forum envy you for.  Oh, and by the way, your fork is not parallel with the plate.  :D  ;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2013
    Travis,

No problem.  We're good !

Now, image

:)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    get a room...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Dayum VI. You did it again....did you sell you medium to your Vespa riding partner?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Dayum VI. You did it again....did you sell you medium to your Vespa riding partner?
    Hahaha.  No.  I had already sold my Medium to a friend in Wimberley (which we have considered moving to).  My Vespa riding buddy (Terry) says he has found a dealer out of state (Illinois?) that ships for free.  Also, no sales tax.  So, he says he's going to buy from him.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    Wimberley is a great place to plant roots. Taxes are ok, better than Travis county but higher than Blanco County. Water here is premium. Can't tap into the Edwards without lots do hoop jumps or a grandfather clause. There is a gentleman who is totally off the grid (rain collections and electricity) that lives in Wimberley. The best price for land still in the northern peak. Dripping Springs area beginning to price itself out of the market (besides being Austin light). Great Vespa riding in the area. If you have not done done twisted sister route put it on you to-ride list.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    I had already sold my Medium to a friend in Wimberley (which we have considered moving to).......
    Please do not let it be the little trailer you can pull behind the Vespa. Have no friends in Wimberley ( like most places) to stay free in.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited April 2013
    Wimberley is a great place to plant roots. Taxes are ok, better than Travis county but higher than Blanco County. Water here is premium. Can't tap into the Edwards without lots do hoop jumps or a grandfather clause. There is a gentleman who is totally off the grid (rain collections and electricity) that lives in Wimberley. The best price for land still in the northern peak. Dripping Springs area beginning to price itself out of the market (besides being Austin light). Great Vespa riding in the area. If you have not done done twisted sister route put it on you to-ride list.
    Thanks, Joan.  What is the "northern peak"?  I also have a friend in Dripping Springs, but I agree, pricing is high.  Also, it's getting pretty crowded.  I like Wimberley for the rural atmosphere, and also, most people have moved in from other places, and there isn't that "my greatgrandfather moved here from Germany, and if your's didn't, you're an outsider."  We ran into that when we lived outside of Bellville.

BTW, we rode the Three Sisters (aka Twisted Sisters) before coming to Salado.  That's why we had a trailer of bikes behind Terry's truck.  Great ride.  It's south of Kerville, starting at Medina.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    edited April 2013

Mickey said:
    I had already sold my Medium to a friend in Wimberley (which we have considered moving to).......
    Please do not let it be the little trailer you can pull behind the Vespa. Have no friends in Wimberley ( like most places) to stay free in.
    The only trailer that would be going to Wimberley with me would be this one.

Gosh, I'd have to have my paint job changed to say "Wimberley, Texas"

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    Google the county map. northern Peak think Hamilton pool area, but not Travis County. Land up there doesn't stay on market too long. We are looking up there, blanco and Burnett county area
  • Village Idiot
    Google the county map. northern Peak think Hamilton pool area, but not Travis County. Land up there doesn't stay on market too long. We are looking up there, blanco and Burnett county area
    Thanks, will do.  Also, I just updated my post to you.  We rode the Twisted Sisters before coming to Salado.  I am uploading a movie I took with a GoPro strapped to my chest.  If it uploads, it should be at http://willsononline.com/forum/sisters2.mp4 .  You probably would only want to watch a couple of minutes, but it will give you an idea of the ride.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Austin  Egghead
    edited April 2013
    That is one of the bicycle routes for the original Easter Hill Country tour. One fantastic ride. Will check it he video out. Sisterdale loop also good ride. Great hamburger joint just north of the old RR tunnel. Good small winery in Sisterdale
  • NICE, VI!!  
    May I have the saffron cream sauce recipe, please?  Pretty please with crab on top?  :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ha hah....Gary shoots first and asks questions later.  I've been warned ;)

@VI - so you have an X3?  Looks just like Bridget's from the sliver in the mono-vespa trailer shot.

Had a Canuck buddy who's dad lived in Wimberly.  Lovely community.  We called that snakey section "The Devil's Backbone".  Of course, this was back in the 80's.  Things change.
    edited April 2013
    NICE, VI!!  
    May I have the saffron cream sauce recipe, please?  Pretty please with crab on top?  :D
    Sure !  But it will cost you a hug in Austin.

Sauce, Saffron Cream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Food & Wine Magazine, April 2013

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon Butter, unsalted

1 tablespoon Olive oil, EVOO

2 Green onions , white and light green, thinly sliced

2 cups Heavy cream

2 cups Vegetable Stock, or low sodium broth

1 pinch Saffron threads

Kosher salt

Ground pepper, finely ground

Directions:

1. In medium saucepan, melt butter and olive oil

2. Add green onions and cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes

3. Add the heavy cream, vegetable stock and saffron and bring just to a boil.

4. Simmer over moderately low heat , stirring occasionally until the sauce is reduced to 1 ¾ cup, about 15 minutes.

5. Strain sauce through a fine sieve into a small saucepan and season with salt and pepper.

6. Keep sauce warm over a low heat, stirring occasionally.

Kristi,  The sauce was very thin.  I don't know if I didn't reduce it enough, or it's just naturally thin.  I think, next time, I'll add some dissolved cornstarch to it after I sieve it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    @VI - so you have an X3?  Looks just like Bridget's from the sliver in the mono-vespa trailer shot.

Had a Canuck buddy who's dad lived in Wimberly.  Lovely community.  We called that snakey section "The Devil's Backbone".  Of course, this was back in the 80's.  Things change.
    @nolaegghead Yep, looks the same as yours, except ours is cleaner.  I saw your video on the way to Salado.

The Devil's Backbone is still there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NICE, VI!!  
    Sure !  But it will cost you a hug in Austin.

Kristi,  The sauce was very thin.  I don't know if I didn't reduce it enough, or it's just naturally thin.  I think, next time, I'll add some dissolved cornstarch to it after I sieve it.

Thank you!  No problem... I'll have HUGS for you!  :\">
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.