Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy cow. Feeling very lucky today.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am so glad things weren't worse for you. That could have ended in tragedy. I usually go back out and check on mine to make sure it is cooling and check the surroundings etc. 

Pretty sure I will do it EVERY time from now on. Very scary stuff!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • njl said:
    I have a small plastic shovel that I stole from the kids sand and water table that I've been using as an ash scoop when cleaning the egg.  I keep it on the lower shelf next to the egg.  One time, I was cooking, and didn't realize the shovel was in contact with the egg.  Where they were in contact, the shovel melted.  I guess I'm lucky it melted and did not ignite.

BTW, I also keep a fire extinguisher on the patio not far from the egg.

Another possibility worth mentioning...my table (came from an egg dealer) has wheels, and I've noticed when I roll it around, the whole thing flexes a bit and the egg can end up in contact with the upper deck boards.  When this happens, I shift the egg or table to get them out of contact before lighting.  I don't know if the egg can ignite wood in contact with the upper portion of the lower half...but I sure don't want to find out first hand.

great insight. I noticed my table was leaning last night before the cook. i told TFJ last night that it was time to build a new table because I thought it was unstable. Probably had something to do with it for sure. I've done this same burn down hundreds of times without a second thought. I won't anymore but this was a perfect storm of some weird stuff. Eye opener for sure.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Wow! That is scary. Sorry for your loss. Should be an eye opener for all of us. I know it is me because I always leave my brush on the bottom shelf of my table next to the egg!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I had this same thing happen about 2 years ago after a pizza. I shut the egg down and went to eat and then fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up my fiancee asked me why my egg was still going and when I looked out the window my table was on fire. The fire also started at the top in my case. I have put the ir thermometer to the outside of my egg before after pizzas and the ceramics will get to 500. Glad to hear all you lost is the table.
  • Lit said:
    I had this same thing happen about 2 years ago after a pizza. I shut the egg down and went to eat and then fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up my fiancee asked me why my egg was still going and when I looked out the window my table was on fire. The fire also started at the top in my case. I have put the ir thermometer to the outside of my egg before after pizzas and the ceramics will get to 500. Glad to hear all you lost is the table.

you have the creepiest avatar I've ever seen. make it stop.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Hows it creepy?
  • johnkitchens
    @Lit I am pretty sure that he is being sarcastic!!!!!!!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

Lit said:

Or it was meant for @kosko?????? 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnkitchens
    thetrim said:

Lit said:

Or it was meant for @kosko?????? 
    I bet it was!

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Me? No.......
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • sorry dude- it was Kosko!
  • I have only had my egg and table for just over a week, but have been wondering about fire risk from heat transfer from the egg to the inside edge of the table top? I had thought of running gasket material around the hole, but then it would be a snug fit and have no air gap. Has anyone ever used gasket around the hole on a wood table?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Glad everyone is safe at your home, Cen-Tex

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Glad to hear a disaster was adverted and your family is safe and sound.  

I've been in the process of building a table for my Egg with a buddy of mine, now I'm not so sure I want to finish it.  Also have my Egg on my wooden deck.  The deck is at ground level, part of it on an old concrete patio, the other just over grass (previous owners built it).  There is a bunch of leaves and crud that fall between the boards, and I'm worried an ember could get down there and smolder and eventually catch on fire. Do have one of those mats for protection, but it is only so big.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    damn cen tex im glad ya'll are ok. guess there's something to be said for metal tables or ipe. i can't believe it didn't catch the deck rail on fire...blessed today.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have only had my egg and table for just over a week, but have been wondering about fire risk from heat transfer from the egg to the inside edge of the table top? I had thought of running gasket material around the hole, but then it would be a snug fit and have no air gap. Has anyone ever used gasket around the hole on a wood table?

I'm convinced now it was the brush. My table is 8 years old or so and I've done thousands of cooks. It was starting to lean (as noted above) so I'm guessing it got really hot, then the brush handle caught fire and the whole thing went up. I'm starting to realize this was a perfect storm. Old Table leaning a bit, super hot fire, brush handle somehow catching fire. good times.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    That is scary. Glad it didn't spread
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Glad all is well. Thanks for sharing. Def have to start paying more attention to the Egg after the food comes off.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, glad that the damage was minimal. I have put my medium on the deck in a nest and still scares me a little about lighting stuff on fire, but you have convinced me I will never do a unattended burn on the deck. Even if it was a freak thing with your grill brush, still just something to watch out for.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    I figured it out- Somehow the brush caught on fire and caught the table on fire. The brush is the only thing that burned completely. There is no sign of it anywhere other than the pile of wire. I still have no idea how this could have happened- the egg was 600 and had been for an hour. It was starting to go down when we ate dinner so I just let if burn all the way down. My guess is that the brush had been in contact with the egg for the whole cook and somehow got so hot it combusted. It's the only thing that is a pile of ash. had to be the brush. Sketchy.

Was the brush touching the egg? If so was there any plastic melted on the egg? Just wondering. Glad nothing devestating happened.

'

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I cook on a concrete slab, but i have been cooking at times and leave the vent screen open just a tad, and have a hot ember come jumping out and bounce up to two feet from under the egg.  An ember the size of a dime can cause a fire on a combustible deck very easily. There are a few of us that like to enjoy a liquid beverage now and again(and again) while egging, making it easy to get careless!!!  If i had a table i would keep anything combustible away and buy products and tools that don't burn or melt.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Centex you may want to go pay the preacher. Glad the only loss was your table.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    A good point for nests unless pushed up next to wood.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Wow.....thanks for sharing, major good mojo that it turned out the way it did - really glad you're all o.k. and only down a table. My egg is in a wood table but on a cement slab patio. Still, good lesson about monitoring space and making sure to hang accessories at the opposite end. Will check all of this tomorrow before firing up. Best wishes.....
  • Its a wonder that the fire went out without more damage to your home.

Yes, be thankful my friend.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    So glad all you need is a new table, you must have had some positive karma coming your way! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Scary indeed, but glad to hear that you are all safe and sound! Thanks for sharing, I will no longer be building a table,for the egg but now a table to be near the egg.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Wow, so glad it ended up being nothing worse.  I had a really odd cooking experience recently.  As I was standing by my egg, watching the smoke coming from the daisy wheel, the smoke suddenly stopped.  I then heard an odd sound -- like air rushing into the egg from the top vent.  I then watched the dome thermometer rush to the right hand side like a race car's speedometer.  It was crazy.  When the sound started I was around 400 deg and it shot up to 600 in no time.  I immediately adjusted to slow down the climb - but that happened again twice during that cook.  I'm sure if I hand't adjusted the vents the egg would gone much higher.