Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket questions

Hey everyone. Have read many of the threads here concerning brisket cooks and have learned much. It's going to be a balmy 46* tomorrow in ND, so why not EGG something! :) I will attempt my first brisket tomorrow  a 8.2 pounder and had a couple questions. The brisket I bought is completey trimmed of all fat. Does a person need a fat cap to get good results? Also the end of my brisket is rather thin. Should a person trim it off or shield it with foil later in the cook? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    The fat is important for moisture and protection. Usually BBQ briskets are trimmed to 1/4-1/8 inch fat cap. Don't want to be a negative nelly but this may be better suited for either Corning (making corned beef) or for a braise type method like the focus "Travis method"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What U_tarded said.  I think you can probably get good results with the "travis" method - it's a part braise.  As far as the thin part of the flat goes, just let it ride.
    edited March 2013

My recommendations would be:

1.) Figure out which way the grain is going and cut a corner off against the grain.  I have a hard time telling which way to slice it after the brisket turns into a meteorite.
    2.) Keep it simple.   I coat with worchestereshire and then rub right before I throw it on.   Also don't bother basting.  I like to keep the lid down the entire time until it reaches 190.  Then use a probe to check for tenderness.  This usually happens for me between 195-200.
    3.) When I take it off, I usually end up covering it in foil and throwing it in a cooler covered in beach towels until I'm ready to serve.

As far as your 2 questions, I don't think a fat cap has anything to do with a good brisket.  I also don't worry about a thin end (they all have 'em), just get it tender in the thickest part and you'll be good.  Just my opinion.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Chris from dizzy pig (@natureboy) says he trims the fat cap completely off. He's done tons of them and won several bbq cook offs with his briskets. I would give it a rip and see how it does. Everything choke said is right on the money.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NoDak1959
    NoDak1959 Posts: 45
    Chris from dizzy pig (@natureboy) says he trims the fat cap completely off. He's done tons of them and won several bbq cook offs with his briskets. I would give it a rip and see how it does. Everything choke said is right on the money.
    Thanks Cen-Tex and all. Hey if it's good enough for Chris in competition then it's good enough for me. I've got another brisket in the freezer just like this one anyway and may try THE Travis method with that one. You also reminded me I need to get some dizzy seasonings, tried their sample pack and liked several.
  • "Hey if it's good enough for Chris in competition then it's good enough for me" Me too. He knows what he's doing ( and makes a wicked good product)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Since you have done the research then you know that the end result is a bit of a crap shoot, especially with a flat which it sounds like you have.  Along with all the great advice above, should you feel like it "needs help" you can finely chop the meat, throw in some of your favorite Q sauce and then make great Q sammiches.  May be the best you have ever had...BTW, regardless of the result just keep wrestling with that hunk of cow-when you hit the home-run it is waaaaaay worth it.  Triples are pretty f'ing good as well.  I have had way more singles and strike-outs than the elusive home-run but that's part of the fun.  FWIW- and welcome aboard-enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.