Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oak smoking wood

Didn't want to hijack one of the brisket threads. For you guys that like oak wood for briskets, Do you like the Jack Daniel's oak chips

or just regular oak.

Comments

• I use regular but the JD chips are good for all kinds of things. Can't hurt to have both

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I use regular the JD gets me all jacked up and I dress my egg. Na not really I just perfer the regular oak. I do dress my egg tho.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    If you can get red oak, try it with beef, it's outstanding.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • I guess I just need to look around a little more for a regular/red oak. I use the JD chips all the time since they are readily available around here. I just wasn't sure if there was a noticable difference. Love the way the JD chips smell tho!!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

We LOVE the JD wood

• we use post oak down here for BBQ which is in the white oak family. Red oak is awesome too and legendary for the Santa Maria Tri-Tip flavor that is so popular in CA. Get both if you can. 
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    we use post oak down here for BBQ which is in the white oak family. Red oak is awesome too and legendary for the Santa Maria Tri-Tip flavor that is so popular in CA. Get both if you can. 
    Where have you found the red oak in Texas?  I use Post Oak for brisket but i would like to try Red Oak for things like Tri-Tip,etc.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • OK ...I'm feelin pretty dumb. I said "I need to look around a little more for regular oak" when I have two of the biggest oak trees I have ever seen right in my front yard. Not sure what kind they are but my whole front yard gets covered with acorns. If I cut some up do I need to let it cure/dry first or burn it right away? 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can burn it right away.
    Where have you found the red oak in Texas?  I use Post Oak for brisket but i would like to try Red Oak for things like Tri-Tip,etc.

Springram
    I haven't looked for it. I only use post oak at home. I'm out in CA a lot and they use red oak for everything beef. It's great. has more of a bite than white oak but I like it.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Thanks, Cen-Tex. I have a supply of really nice and large post oak chunks. I will be content with such. Using post oak in the past, my Tri-Tips have been fine.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

These guys do a great job.

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/redoak.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Springram, I can get red oak for you. Let me know how to contact you.

• Springram said:
    Thanks, Cen-Tex. I have a supply of really nice and large post oak chunks. I will be content with such. Using post oak in the past, my Tri-Tips have been fine.

Springram

Same. It's so easy to get I really don't press to find the red. But now that Billy Ray brought it up.................guess it's time to call Fruita....again :)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's easy.  Put chainsaw in truck.  Drive to green area.  Identify and "prune" red oak.  Drive back.  Tri-tip.

BTW - @hornhonk - got the Death Wish Coffee...good stuff - I think my co-workers and I won't be sleeping for a few days - thanks brothah!

File:Quercus rubra map.png
    I love the JD chips. My absolute favorite.
    Slightly off topic: anyone know if wood from a Bradford pear tree be any good? HOA is cutting like 50 of them down this week.
    Boom
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

OK ...I'm feelin pretty dumb. I said "I need to look around a little more for regular oak" when I have two of the biggest oak trees I have ever seen right in my front yard. Not sure what kind they are but my whole front yard gets covered with acorns.

Wonder what acorn smoke would taste like?   :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    They say any fruit wood is good for smoking.  I have ten acres of oaks, different varieties, but the resturants around here use the "blackjack" oak wood.  I have tried it and it is strong compared to the store bought oak chips.  I am stuck on "pecan chunks" over anything else i have tried.  It is mild.
  • I love the JD chips. My absolute favorite. Slightly off topic: anyone know if wood from a Bradford pear tree be any good? HOA is cutting like 50 of them down this week.

I was curious about this because a lady down the road told me she's having her pear tree removed.  I just searched it and right off the bat I found an add selling pear wood.  I'm inserting the link just for illustration.  I have no clue about their product or anything about them.

http://bbqsmokingwood.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PearChunks 

I wood grab as much wood as you can!

Flint, Michigan
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

Slightly off topic: anyone know if wood from a Bradford pear tree be any good? HOA is cutting like 50 of them down this week.

I was curious about this because a lady down the road told me she's having her pear tree removed.  I just searched it and right off the bat I found an add selling pear wood.  I'm inserting the link just for illustration.  I have no clue about their product or anything about them.

Ha well I could literally grab more than my yard is big enough to hold.
    But I think I'll load bed of truck up and put in back yard under cover. What doesn't go on grill will go in fire pit.
    And I know it's been answered hundred times but I've never paid attention: smoking fresh cut wood is ok? Do I need to let it smoke a bit longer before throwing food on?
    Boom
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Nola, drink an entire pot! I DARE ya. lol
  • I love the JD chips. My absolute favorite. Slightly off topic: anyone know if wood from a Bradford pear tree be any good? HOA is cutting like 50 of them down this week.

Bradfords don't fruit though and if they cook up anything like they smell when they flower.....no thanks (I have 2 in my yard). Whew!
  • FanOfFanboys

Bradfords don't fruit though and if they cook up anything like they smell when they flower.....no thanks (I have 2 in my yard). Whew!

That's what I was worried about! The bloom scent is terrible.
    Boom

I won't even tell you what we call it at home but it's not good......
  • FanOfFanboys

I won't even tell you what we call it at home but it's not good......

I have one in front yard. Every house in neighborhood does plus another 40-50 in common area. I know the smell all to well ha.
    May just use wood for fire place outside.
    Getting almost everyone in neighborhood cut down this week and next.
    Boom