Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE popularity

ive been an egghead since christmas(first cook new years eve) how long have the eggs been around (not the komado stye cooking)but bge?

if it wasnt for my mother in law, working at a BGE dealer i would never had heard of it????,im glad i have cause im totally addicted!!!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    BGE for well over 40 years, the kamado for thousands of years. Propane is easy cheap and generally produces acceptable results. Briquettes are full of "stuff" and many light with a hydrocarbon fuel. The short answer: there are many easy to use alternatives pushed by the large retail outlets, and they make great money on those alternatives. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    The first store was opened in 1974 selling grills made from clay like the traditional cookers in Asia. Weather took a toll on the clay eggs after a couple of years. The first BGE I saw was in the early '90's??. A friend of my parents had 2 in his back yard along with 5 or 6 other smokers and grills and one the original clay eggs. 

I suspect popularity has more to do with who sells them. If it's not a big box store, a lot of folks never see one. 

I wish had a dollar for every BGE I have sold at Eggfests and in my back yard.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    When I moved to Georgia about 5 years ago I got my first. They are everywhere here. Saw a a ad in publix yesterday with Heineken giving them away as a promotion. They have blown up here recently. My first was a small given to me that a PM I work with didn't use. Its one of the first ceramics and is probably 20 years old and is a lighter green color than newer eggs.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    @Lit thats a great promo!! too bad the dont have publix in canada!! :-&
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I saw the same promo in a Kroger store yesterday. It looks like more of a Heiniken thing than a particular store thing. 
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Everyone looks at me funny when I say I cooked dinner on my egg or did a pork butt on my egg.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    It seems that the T.V. cooking networks nhave covered shown them in action enough that they are becoming popular.  Every comment i hear about them is that "they are very expensive!".  Even small chain stores have the Heiniken promo in them.  And i am seeing more and more lump brands available around my area???   So they are catching on!! 
  • Once you get over the price and bite the bullet, I got mine a few weeks ago and have never looked back, one proud owner of the LBGE . Thst is the most shocking thing to get over is the price, not only the egg put all the nickle and dime accessories that go along with it. I told my sister about mine and how much it cost, she thought I was crazy. Well they came over dinner the other night and I really think she and brother in law are thinking about getting one for themselves

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    hondabbq said:
    Everyone looks at me funny when I say I cooked dinner on my egg or did a pork butt on my egg.
    I'm the "egg man" at work.  Everyone just ask me "what are you egging tonight?".  I have two buddies in other departments that also egg. My lunch leftovers are always the envy of the department. 

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    When a manufacturer has a problem in their product they usually fix it quickly and extend their warrenty for that defective part to prevent their customers any inconvienance caused by their mistake!  Example, my Dodge model pick up has had problems with the windshield washer bottle cracking during the normal full coverage period of five years.  Thru their recall, i can go in and have it replaced, but they have also extended coverage for this item to ten years.  The wife's VW model has a problem with an "exhaust flap".  VW has extended or doubled the original warranty on this item.  BGE has known the gasket problem in their eggs for years, and was too slow to own up to it, in my opinion.  I could understand if they were in a very competitive product field.  Or if this was a hard to fix issue.  For this reason i do not bragg on BGE, i consider this a breakdown on customer service!  I like customer service and think it is an important part of business!
  • MrCookingNurse
    When a manufacturer has a problem in their product they usually fix it quickly and extend their warrenty for that defective part to prevent their customers any inconvienance caused by their mistake!  Example, my Dodge model pick up has had problems with the windshield washer bottle cracking during the normal full coverage period of five years.  Thru their recall, i can go in and have it replaced, but they have also extended coverage for this item to ten years.  The wife's VW model has a problem with an "exhaust flap".  VW has extended or doubled the original warranty on this item.  BGE has known the gasket problem in their eggs for years, and was too slow to own up to it, in my opinion.  I could understand if they were in a very competitive product field.  Or if this was a hard to fix issue.  For this reason i do not bragg on BGE, i consider this a breakdown on customer service!  I like customer service and think it is an important part of business!
    you need to find a new soap box bud.  BGE customer service is out of this world, hands down. you need something, its in your mailbox within days.  Got a question, usually get a same day answer.  They also replaced the gasket on this years model.  Time to let the "gasket" issue die Mr. Tuna. 

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    Guess it's hard to face the facts -- just read the facts posted here today concerning "answers from the mothership"(five days,not the same day!) and the number of customers effected by a five dollar gasket item.  The gasket thing was not handled correctly.  Please read the posted subject:  "BGE popularity".  Do you really think car manufacturers go thru the cost of "recalls" because they love their customers??  They do it to maintain there "POPULARITY" which allows them to sell more cars!!   The ONLY reason the gasket issue wasn't put to sleep long ago was caused by poor customer service.  Any manufacturer that continues to build a mistake into their product is going to pay for it  ---  face the facts -- don't try to "sugar coat" them!
  • Jethro_Bodine
    Jethro_Bodine Posts: 16
    edited March 2013
    I always wanted something reliable to grill out on during the summer months, are fine days for a BBQ. I started off on this 15 dollar p.o.s. grill I got from Kmart years ago that hardly stood up, so I did some research and found the egg and have wanted once since the summer of 09'. Since then I have spent every day daydreaming of the ultimate cookout with friends and family. I finally pulled the trigger last week and purchased one. Best investment ever.
  • MrCookingNurse

Guess it's hard to face the facts -- just read the facts posted here today concerning "answers from the mothership"(five days,not the same day!) and the number of customers effected by a five dollar gasket item.  The gasket thing was not handled correctly.  Please read the posted subject:  "BGE popularity".  Do you really think car manufacturers go thru the cost of "recalls" because they love their customers??  They do it to maintain there "POPULARITY" which allows them to sell more cars!!   The ONLY reason the gasket issue wasn't put to sleep long ago was caused by poor customer service.  Any manufacturer that continues to build a mistake into their product is going to pay for it  ---  face the facts -- don't try to "sugar coat" them!

Like I said boss, time for a new soap box. Car companies have recalls to avoid law suits and injuries. Toyota recalled the floor mats for popularity?? Not quiet. It's because someone had a car crash and it got blamed on the pedal getting stuck with floor mat.

The "facts" are that if your gasket has failed, which it probably has, you send a customer service email in and a free high temp one is in the mail. They've now replaced all the gasket with higher temp ones. I think this addresses the issues. The gasket will prolly fail after 10 cooks at 1000 degrees, can't think of much that wouldn't.

Now, if you wanna whine, then whine away. But don't trash a perfectly good company just cause you woke up with your panties in a wad.

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

Like I said boss, time for a new soap box. Car companies have recalls to avoid law suits and injuries. Toyota recalled the floor mats for popularity?? Not quiet. It's because someone had a car crash and it got blamed on the pedal getting stuck with floor mat.

The "facts" are that if your gasket has failed, which it probably has, you send a customer service email in and a free high temp one is in the mail. They've now replaced all the gasket with higher temp ones. I think this addresses the issues. The gasket will prolly fail after 10 cooks at 1000 degrees, can't think of much that wouldn't.

Now, if you wanna whine, then whine away. But don't trash a perfectly good company just cause you woke up with your panties in a wad.
    X2
    Boom
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    @Gezr i dont have a kroeger either lol!!! :-bd
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Was in the DFW Airport today and there was a billboard ad for the BGE.  First ad I ever saw,
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    It has been my experience that the gasket failures occur most easily in XL, on high temp cooks, when the user tries to extinguish the fire by completely snuffing it out @600+ degrees. The super hot air is expanding and must go somewhere. The seal of the lid is often the path of least resistance. If you leave the daisy wheel cracked slightly to allow hot air to escape until temp lowers to under 500 them snuff out with ceramic cap, you greatly reduce the odds of so called failure. Your setup and your diligence achieving the proper seal at setup is also a huge factor. I have been cooking on my LBGE for nearly ten years with the original gasket fully intact. My brothers XL has been replaced a couple times. BGE is one of the great customer service companies ever. Even they cannot please everyone though. I am wondering if you want better, fancier floor mats in your new Toyota will they just fork a set over to you upon request one month after purchase? Good luck with that. How bout the wipers? I have heard there are many aftermarket wipers which run circles around the stock ones provided. I would ask them to freely swap them out. To not do so would just be bad service, right? All right, I'm done.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

It has been my experience that the gasket failures occur most easily in XL, on high temp cooks, when the user tries to extinguish the fire by completely snuffing it out @600+ degrees. The super hot air is expanding and must go somewhere. The seal of the lid is often the path of least resistance. If you leave the daisy wheel cracked slightly to allow hot air to escape until temp lowers to under 500 them snuff out with ceramic cap, you greatly reduce the odds of so called failure. Your setup and your diligence achieving the proper seal at setup is also a huge factor. I have been cooking on my LBGE for nearly ten years with the original gasket fully intact. My brothers XL has been replaced a couple times. BGE is one of the great customer service companies ever. Even they cannot please everyone though. I am wondering if you want better, fancier floor mats in your new Toyota will they just fork a set over to you upon request one month after purchase? Good luck with that. How bout the wipers? I have heard there are many aftermarket wipers which run circles around the stock ones provided. I would ask them to freely swap them out. To not do so would just be bad service, right? All right, I'm done.

Agree 100%
    And instead of refuting your point about handling the egg cool down he just hit disagree. Bc he had no logical argument left. Funny.
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I needed a good pissing match this weekend. the picture should be our coat of arms. drama, references to alcohol and a green egg in the middle.

that being said bge has three times given me excellent service. maverick sells probes they know are crap but 6 months in I had to buy new ones.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN