Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well this sucks...

Comments

• Yep, that's a bummer.  Sorry to hear it.

No diabetes yet, Grif, but fatigue and dry mouth are also symptoms of Sleep Apnea.  That's what I have, and a CPAP machine at night does wonders.  Have it checked out also.

My wife really, really, really wants me to get a sleep studay and CPAP.  Glad to know you like it.  Worried that it will be uncomfortable sleeping on my side.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I have the CPAP as well.  I hate it but I can not sleep without it.  I does make a huge difference.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Sorry Griff, it's something you can change, it may not be easy but it is for you.
    You see you have a big support network here if we can help.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

@Griffin: I'm going to keep my sympathy in check because I know you are intelligent and sensible enough to take control of your life. You should be strengthened and encouaged by the support of folks like your fellow eggheads!

+1 for the Diabetes Education. Look for a program or person who is certified in Diabetes Education. Two separate sessions may be more helpful than 1 long visit.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sorry about your diabetes situation ----  just have to adjust your diet somewhat  --  PITA to get used to!!  Had a German guy who worked for me and he could figure out his blood sugar by his vision!!  And controlled his blood sugar with vodka!!  Used to drive his doctors crazy!!  It worked for him.... 
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Grif,

Thanks for letting us know.  It helps raise awareness for everybody else.  I am sure all will be well with you, as you seem to be an intelligent guy.  You can count on support from us!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @eggcelsior...

(excessive urination, thirst, hunger) ...

isn't that drinking beer and egging?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hang in there, diagnosed with Type 2 last fall. Take the classes and do what your Doc says.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Griff, it's very manageable in this day and age.   Hope you don't have to change Griffin's Grub to Griffin's (Healthy) Grubb or, even worse, Griffin's Sprouts
    Griff, it's very manageable in this day and age.   Hope you don't have to change Griffin's Grub to Griffin's (Healthy) Grubb or, even worse, Griffin's Sprouts
    Here is the new header to his blog

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Now now....you're gonna give Griff a heart attack!
    i too was diagnosed with diabetes june 2012 and was put on meds.  after a radical lifestyle change and dropping 50lbs thru diet and exercise.  i am completely off meds and have never felt better.  going to run half marathon next month.  when i started exercising i couldnt even run 2 miles in 30 minutes.

its all about the diet and exercise.  its hard work but i never want to feel like i felt when i walked in to the dr's office that june day.  oh and i havent had a drink since.
    Agree with this.  Have seen people I know cure this with diet and exercise.  My father in law really likes Dr. Mercola and his aversion to meds.  Here is some interesting information worht reading in your case:

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Griff, bud!  I'm sorry that you have to go through this speed bump.   But remember this saying "Control the Controllables"  This is just a speed bump in your life and good thing is you can change this!  

Ever need anything you know where to find me!
    Large BGE

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Bummer, but if you manage your diet and watch what you consume then adult onset Type II is very manageable, but it is up to you.   
    Start reading labels and stay away from any product that contains HFCS. 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Here is the new header to his blog

If he joins PETA I'm gonna be real upset!

Sorry Grif but at least you caught it early. Had a couple of friends that didn't find out til too late

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• atta boy Griff. it's all good. Really glad you shared.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Good luck

The pain of losing the weight is worth it
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Here's to your new diet and lifestyle. Best of luck forward Griff.
    Seattle, WA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My cousin was diagnosed with diabetes. He really didn't want to go on the needle. The docs told him that it would be virtually impossible. 5 years later and no needle. He did have to quit drinking.
    Mark Annville, PA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Good luck getting through this. My father in law is on dialysis and gave most of his booze to me. He even quit smoking after 40 some years of it. He decided he wanted to hang around longer and made the changes necessary. If he can change his life you certainly can. We're here for ya.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
     Griff hang in there. I have had type 2 for the last 15 years. Just had to change the eating habits and manage the weight ( hard thing to do I know ). Just try and do what the Dr tells you. If you need to talk just let me know.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,455
    Griffin, thanks for sharing and I'm sure you'll management it well. I think I'm botherline, have an annual checkup next month - always nervous about unpleasant news at my age.
    canuckland
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Sorry to hear that, Griff.  I am afraid I might be right behind you. My numbers are usually "borderline". I go to the doctor next week and am holding my breath that all will be okay for another year.  Maybe if you can't cook like you used to, you could recycle your pictures to keep us salivating. Good luck and we look forward to some healthy recipes from you.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    As much as the changes will be difficult, they will be worth it.  You will figure it out Griffin. Your time on this planet is needed so stay strong.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Sorry to hear that Jason. I'm confident that you'll be doing the right thing and will likely even find a way to make healthy eating look damn good!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Griffin, while I am sorry to hear about the diagnosis, its good that your MD did find it. Early detection and management can delay and avoid complications from it. I would follow FDA approved and your doctor approved treatments.

Others have said the rest already. And it is sad that more and more of us will be picking up many medical problems as we age. The trick is to stay ahead and take care of youself.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    We're with you, bro!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2013
    Griffin:
    So sorry to hear the news, but like others have said: It is good you caught it early. There are several people in my life who LIVE every day with diabetes. The treatments have improved over time and will continue to do so. I know you'll do what you gotta do and I look forward to reading your posts for many years to come.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Sorry Griff , others have pretty much covered it. I too am borderline, doc already put me on some meds. Wife was diagnosed type 2 about 5 yrs ago, she lost weight , excercised , watches her carbs, no longer on meds, A1C has been normal for the last 3 yrs or so. It can be beat !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO