Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stir fry on the wok

here is something i have been doing every week now that i got the spider & wok and now we can never have chinese out again. 

i get the egg up to 550, and then put the wok on, close the lid for a few mins then open her up and start wokking. 
the liquid i use is half beef broth, half tamari with some oyster sauce, mirin, sriracha, tonkatsu sauce and a dash of unagi sauce. 
the little bowl has fresh ginger & garlic, green onions, thai hot peppers.
the veg is broccoli, carrots, orange bell pepper, bok choy, snow peas, green peas. and i used leftover ribs from this cook here . 

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great!

I agree, take out places have nothing on cooking on a wok yourself. I'm glad now I will be able to post some of my stir-fry cook since all of them usually end up with it being dark so the pictures don't turn out. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's good! Try VI shrimp fried rice it's awesome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• i usually have the same problem, but this cook was from lunch this weekend. 
    the weather was perfect for it, but the last time i used the wok it started raining as soon as i put the broccoli on. haha man was i pissed. 
  • RAC said:
    what does the VI stand for? vietnamese? 

i do need to get some prawns in my life soon, so im sure i will be making that. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    RAC said:
    what does the VI stand for? vietnamese? 

i do need to get some prawns in my life soon, so im sure i will be making that. 
    Village Idiot. He does some great wok cooks. Let me see if I can find the recipe

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

VillageIdiot aka Gary.

Stir Fry looks awesome. I need to do me some. Been awhile.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2013

Shrimp Fried Rice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 ounces Shrimp, small, shelled and deveined

1/2 teaspoon Salt, kosher

Black pepper, freshly ground

1/2 teaspoon Corn Starch

2 tablespoons Peanut Oil, divided

3 Eggs, beaten

2 stalks Green onions , minced

4 cups Rice, long grain, leftover, grains separated well

3/4 cup Peas and Carrots, Frozen, defrosted

1 tablespoon Soy Sauce

1 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce, to give color

1 teaspoon Sesame Oil

Directions:

1.In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt, pepper and cornstarch. Let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature. Heat a wok on high heat. When the wok is hot enough for a bead of water to instantly sizzle and evaporate, add just 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and swirl to coat wok.

2. Add the shrimp, quickly spreading out around the cooking surface area so that they are not overlapping. Let fry, untouched for 30 seconds. Flip over and let the other side fry for 30 seconds, or until about 80% cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok onto a plate, leaving as much oil in the wok as possible.

3.Let the wok heat up again. Add the eggs, stirring in a quick motion to break up and scramble the eggs. When the eggs are almost cooked through (they should still be slightly runny in the middle), dish out of the wok into the same plate as the cooked shrimp.

4.Use paper towels to wipe the same wok clean and return to high heat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, swirling to coat. When the oil is very hot, add the green onions and fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add in the rice and stir well to mix in the green onions throughout. Spread the rice all around the wok surface area and let the rice heat up, untouched until you hear the bottoms of the grains sizzle, about 1-2 minutes. Use the chuan to toss the rice, again spreading the rice out over the surface of wok.

5.Drizzle the soy sauce and dark soy sauce all around the rice and toss. Add the peas and carrots, the cooked eggs, shrimp and sesame oil, tossing to mix the rice evenly with all of the ingredients. Let everything heat back up again, until the rice grains are so hot they practically dance! Taste and add an additional 1 teaspoon of soy sauce if needed. 

Notes:

Until you get used to making it, print the following in large font to read while cooking

---------------------------------------------

Add cooking oil and swirl

Add shrimp.  30 seconds on each side.

Remove shrimp.  Leave oil.

Scramble eggs – put on plate when still slightly runny.

Wipe. 

Add oil.

When hot, add onions.  Fry 15 sec. or until fragrant.

Add rice.  Stir to mix onions.  Cook 1-2 minutes until grains sizzle.

Toss rice with chuan.

Drizzle soy sauce.

Add shrimp, onions, egg, sesame oil.  Cook until hot.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks phenomenal, @alphacentauri !!  That 5th picture has me salivating. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    It's going to be above freezing this weekend. I know what I'm making. THANKS

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• thanks guys! 
    and thanks to VI for the recipe, i will be trying it. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Thanks VI, do you mind if I save it in my Living cookbook?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    looks yummy. Haven't started wokking yet, but that's one of the things i want to do. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Aviator said:
    Thanks VI, do you mind if I save it in my Living cookbook?
    Thanks.  Of course not.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious