Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just some thin chops... newbie needs direction

acegg77
acegg77 Posts: 120
It took a week for them to finally get me online. Have had BGE a week but have only made chicken and steak on it. I have some thin 1/2 - 3/4 inch pork chops. I was going to put some Cattleman b-b-q sause on them and grill them. What temp? What is the methodology? (Hard to find basic recipes and methods for those starting out.) Is it like steak... 2 mins a side at high temp and then 4 or 5 mins at 350? How do I not screw this up?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    at that thin I would be careful not to overcook. I wouldn't sauce them till the end. do you have a thermapen?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • acegg77
    When you say end, you mean like a minute before I take them off? 

This was easy on the gas grill. Get it as hot as it would (which wasn't very since the Weber was old) and pop it on 3 or 4 mins a side... done. 

I don't have a therma whatever that is, but I have a Flip-Tip digital thermometer. 

How should I season the chops if you don't coat them with the Cattlesmen's sause? 

I just want "simple" at this stage. Only had this thing a week... and you have to crawl before you walk, etc.

• salt and pepper. Let the egg do the talking. Sauce them a few minutes before taking off. There are dozens of ways to do this but I say just get your egg to 450-500 and do it quick. Use your thermo to make sure you don't overcook. It won't take long with thin chops
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • acegg77
    Curious, how long might it take for a half-inch chop to cook at 400-500? I wouldn't think it would be very long! What temp should the chop be? No matter... on gas I would just cut into it and see if done so I can do same with BGE, right?

Oh, when I light up, I open the bottom vent but should I leave the screen closed or open that too?

I've only cooked on this 3 times but this is not any harder than gas. Stuff tastes better, that's for sure. I made a steak the other night... just garlic salt and pepper... knocked my socks off. 

Nice to have so many people to pitch in and help. Thank you.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited March 2013
    It won't take too long if they are thin. I like mine around 135 or so. You can do whatever you are comfortable with but cutting into your food to see if it's done is now your "old way". The new way is with a Thermapen or by feel. Thermapens are invaluable. They may seem expensive but they are worth every penny. You'll use it most every cook inside and out and it will make you a better cook day 1. We'll bring you along as you are ready but friends don't let friends cut into meat to see if it's ready :)). good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    not very long...45 seconds a side. pork is safe at 165. leave the screen closed. a theramapen is a digital thermometer. my cooking, especially steaks, chops and tenderloin have gone through the roof with the thermapen. being new you'll have great cooks and epic fails. just enjoy it.... it'll come.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pork loin and chops are safe well below 165. I would never eat them that hot. My tenderloins are pink in the middle
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    acegg77 said:
    It took a week for them to finally get me online. Have had BGE a week but have only made chicken and steak on it. I have some thin 1/2 - 3/4 inch pork chops. I was going to put some Cattleman b-b-q sause on them and grill them. What temp? What is the methodology? (Hard to find basic recipes and methods for those starting out.) Is it like steak... 2 mins a side at high temp and then 4 or 5 mins at 350? How do I not screw this up?
    Hot tub them in 100 to 120* water for half an hour. Grill them really hot til they get the grill marks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited March 2013
    acegg77 said:
    Hot tub them in 100 to 120* water for half an hour. Grill them really hot til they get the grill marks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^do this. Hot tub is putting them in a ziplock or foodsaver bag (get all the air out of the ziplock if you use that) and place them in hot water for an hour. Your tap water should be fine (mine is 135). They will be coked almost perfectly and you can hit them with a very hot sear for under a minute per side. By far the best way to do thin anything.
  • Well easy is my middle name, just put them on, then flip, then check temp, at like 160, put some sauce on if you want then get to 165, then eat, but you do need a temp gadge, of some sort, but you can cut into it. If thats all you got. Have a blast. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    the new FDA is 145, I have always done 150-155 and then rest.  I have cooked a few pork chops to 165 and they are juicy and great too, but for a pork tenderloin I still want some pink if I am cooking for myself. When cooking for guest I take it higher cause it will still be great and I don't have to constantly tell them its safe to eat.  Pork scares people. 

to your original question, a lot changes from gasser to egg, but remember its still a grill, the whole world doesnt change. 

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    acegg77 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^do this. Hot tub is putting them in a ziplock or foodsaver bag (get all the air out of the ziplock if you use that) and place them in hot water for an hour. Your tap water should be fine (mine is 135). They will be coked almost perfectly and you can hit them with a very hot sear for under a minute per side. By far the best way to do thin anything.
    Thanks for doing all that typing for me. I'm trying to watch a hockey game

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• acegg77
    I never heard of the hot bath method. Very interesting. Too late for that as I'm going to  cook in 30 mins. 

I have a Flip Tip thermometer which my dealer said was good and is what he recommends... and he does competitions with his eggs. 

I'll let know later on how this came out. 
  • acegg77
    OK, all done. To be honest the chops were not better but no worse than the old gas grill. I thought I did it all right. I stirred up the fire area to get the ash out.  I added some new charcoal but did not mix it up. I lit it with one BGE fire starter and it took like 15 mins before I got a good burn going. I closed the dome and waited until it rose to 450... took a while.  (And charcoal was bone dry.) I put garlic salt and pepper on the chops and put them on when it was 450 degrees. Took about3 mins per side. to cook... before I took them off I put on a thin coat of sauce (Cattlemen's) but to tell the truth the chops were no better than what I got off the old gas grill. No smoky flavor... just a plain old, somewhat tasteless chop, but it was good when I dipped it in the Cattleman sauce... however I expected a lot better. Not sure what I did wrong. It was fine... OK... but had none of the hint-of-smoke flavor that the chicken and steak had last week. Maybe the Egg is simply not the best "tool" for low-fat, lean, thin pork chops... which is too bad since we eat a lot of them because they are so healthy (lean/low-fat) and a good value price-wise.

Thanks for all the help on this. Maybe next time I'll try the hot-bath method or maybe some better seasoning or maybe just wait until the grill is hotter. 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Acegg, chops might have been over cooked. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but I cook my pork to 135. I've been doing it that way for a long time and I'm still kicking. Brining pork also helps in the flavor department. Welcome ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !