Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing whole chickens

Options
How long would y'all? Boight a few whole birds. The smaller ones. Threw in the deep freeze in the manner fracture shrink wrap. How long should they keep?

XLBGE 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Up to six months.

What manner do you normally fracture? Falls, blunt force trauma?
    ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    EDIT: Up to six months TO A YEAR.

And I'm the one one that tried to make fun of you for auto-correct. Instant Karma indeed.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have three birds in my freezer --  and i am now so stuck on cooking fresh local chickens now, i am wondering how i am going to use them??  I have a broaster -- that would be a good way of using them up.
  • Browninggold
    Options
    I threw 3 live chickens in the freezer. Only lived a few hours. Now in the fridge they stay alive forever. I always have to open and close the door very fast when reaching for the condiments.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I spatch the chicken, or part it out (legs/thighs, breasts, wings) and then quick freeze on a baking sheet, Foodsaver them. Sometimes they are seasoned (oil and rub) other times naked. With a classic style rub, the flavour is a little more intense when the bird is seasoned and then frozen. Takes a couple of days to thaw in our fridge. We never seem to go past three months, although I've heard six months to a year is possible. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @Browninggold. Ha! Good one.  CON: Getting pecked on the back of the hand reaching for milk.  PRO: Never running out of fresh eggs.

Living Large and XL

• Browninggold
    Options
    @lilwooty not only get your hand pecked but never peek in your fridge while there inside. You'll lose an eye for sure :) talking about losing an eye reminds me of this joke: I was walking past the mental hospital the other day, and all the patients were shouting ,'13....13....13' The fence was too high to see over,but I saw a little gap in the planks and looked through to see what was going on. Some bastard poked me in the eye with a stick. Then they all started shouting '14....14....14'...
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Oh man you guys are great!

@skiddymaker
    Sounds interesting. Lot of work too! I haven't done a chicken or a spatch so I'll see if the wife likes it before I go nuts with it.

@eggcelsior
    Stupid smart phones. "manufacturer"

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I spatch the chicken, or part it out (legs/thighs, breasts, wings) and then quick freeze on a baking sheet, Foodsaver them. Sometimes they are seasoned (oil and rub) other times naked. With a classic style rub, the flavour is a little more intense when the bird is seasoned and then frozen. Takes a couple of days to thaw in our fridge. We never seem to go past three months, although I've heard six months to a year is possible. 
    I'm with Pollo Dahmer here. Might have to give this a try.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    EDIT: Up to six months TO A YEAR.

And I'm the one one that tried to make fun of you for auto-correct. Instant Karma indeed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When we lived in Iowa, we used to buy whole fresh chickens from the Amish farms. Before the winter set in we would stock up and freeze a dozen chickens or so. They would be in thicker food bags, but not as thick as the foodsaver bag material. The chickens were not injected with any solution, etc and lasted several months in the freezer without any signifcant difference in taste.

When we freeze shrimp, we put a pound of shrimp in a ziploc bag, fill it up with cold water, and then freeze the shrimp submerged in water. Easily lasts up to a year this way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Oh man you guys are great! @skiddymaker Sounds interesting. Lot of work too! I haven't done a chicken or a spatch so I'll see if the wife likes it before I go nuts with it. @eggcelsior Stupid smart phones. "manufacturer"
    Actually, on the cook day it is less work. Spatched, seasoned birds stack nicely in the freezer and once thawed, they are ready to go. After I cut out the back bone and trim the thigh fat, it all gets boiled for broth, waste not want not!
    We only buy whole birds when they are on sale, so freezing is a must. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!