Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well here's the brisket that started, stopped, started, stopped then started again.

As some of you know my fire went out overnight.  Re lit the grill, about 7 am, ran out of lump about 11. So after a very unsuccessful cook execution wise, the product wasn't half bad.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It looks juicy was it tasty and tender?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Looks very tasty, awsome cook.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    It had a good flavor and was tender.  Used Bad Byron's rub cut with some turbinado sugar. Wish I would have executed the cook a little better as it was supposed to be lunch and not a afterthought for dinner.  SWMBO liked it and the boy liked it so I guess it was a success.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JRWhitee
    edited March 2013
    It was a win in the box score thats all that matters, we can call it a rain delay...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • It actually looks really good but.........If the texture wasn't what you were after it's because you sliced most that I can see WITH the grain of the meat. That can make for a very stringy, tough bite. Always slice brisket AGAINST the grain on the meat. it will make a huge difference in the texture (which is a huge part of what brisket is about).Looks like you could have had a home run to me if you sliced it right

I have some pics of how to and how not to if you need them

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JRWhitee
    You have a sharp eye Cen-tex, I didn't notice.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Always nice to have a good meal even after some difficulties during the cook. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • It actually looks like the flat was sliced right but the point was not. That's pretty common in people that don't do a lot of briskets. it's a shame because the point is the best part. You can either separate the point from the flat (what I do) and turn it upside down to slice so you can see the grain or if you slice it whole, once you reach the point/flat combo, you turn it a 1/4 turn and slice it that way. I don't love that because then you have the point done right but the flat is cut with the grain. This is the way Franklin's and all the famous places down here do it, but I like to separte the point so I ave perfect slices of each.

on top of that, the grain changes even in the point itself so if you turn it upside down to slice it, you can always follow the grain

The point and fat are separated by a layer of fat and goo that become very soft during the cook. You can easily see it:

• Take a long knife and just allow it to slip right thoguh. If you meet any resistance, you are cutting into the meat.

• then turn your point upside down so you can see the grain to slice it:Notice how the grain changes direction. This is why I like to slice it upside down.

• sorry for the horrible pic aove. I was cutting with one hand, drinking with the other and taking the picture on my iPhone with my mouth.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

sorry for the horrible pic aove. I was cutting with one hand, drinking with the other and taking the picture on my iPhone with my mouth.

I'm just glad you said " your mouth"...I was getting scared.... and impressed.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • so if you ever see that your brisket looks like this when you are cutting it, turn it 1/4 turn and you'll be good

• @Cen-Tex this was very helpful. Thanks! I am planning my first brisket for Thursday.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • @Cen-Tex this was very helpful. Thanks! I am planning my first brisket for Thursday.
    let us know if you need any help.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Thanks Cen-Tex, you are absolutely correct.  It was my first whole packer and after all the difficulty during the cook didn't even think about cutting it properly.  Thanks for the tips!!!!!
    ^:)^
  • Thanks Cen-Tex, you are absolutely correct.  It was my first whole packer and after all the difficulty during the cook didn't even think about cutting it properly.  Thanks for the tips!!!!!
    ^:)^
    any time man. Looks like a really good one. Some of my best have been the cooks where the fire went out or something goofy happened. You'll get it after a few and you'll be off and running. Slicing is critical to good brisket so next time, follow these steps or hop on youtube and check out the bbq with Franklin videos for how he does it. It's easy once you've done a few.

• BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    The delay just allowed for more beer drinking!