Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE at Sam's

Saw in the other post about buying an Egg at Sam's.  They have it listed on their website,

There is talk about the warranty, in that it is covered by Sam's Club Member Satisfaction Guarantee 

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    That still doesn't equal LIFETIME
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    What is the price?  And, what price would you pay for a lifetime warranty?? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    r270ba said:

That still doesn't equal LIFETIME

What is the price?  And, what price would you pay for a lifetime warranty?? 

I can't speak for Sam's but I believe that they have a similar policy to Costco. My medium was a gift from there after I saw it in the store(father's day). Costco offers a LIFETIME member satisfaction policy on everything they sell with the exception of certain electronic devices. In other words, I can get my money back if I am ever dissatisfied with the egg while I am a member of Costco.

It cost me(wife and dad) 569.99 for the egg and nest. The biggest hassle with the Costco "warranty" is I have to carry the egg back to any Costco in the world to get my money back. The next time I get an egg, it will be from a dealer. This one would have been too, had it not been a gift.
  • There is something to be said for having a great dealer (that used to mean something completely different) :))

My guys at BBQ Outifitters are great. I just love BS ing about the egg with them and they are so in to it that it makes my egg life more fun. I'm a Sam's guy but I still wouldn't buy one there unless it were significantly cheaper

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    That's why I love going to my local dealer. My mom and I bought his XL there for the Father's day previous to when I received mine. 
  • Personally I would never buy from a box store.  Always go to a dealer. Ok I would go to a box store for like ass wipe, or snot rags but big items no way. Local dealers give you more for your money, in many ways. Im a firm believer in buy local. But this is just my feelings on the matter. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    I've got a dumb question. But it's a new egg, from a store. Why wouldn't it also have the BGE warranty? Which is also called a limited lifetime warranty. The egg has also been on SAMs site on and off for years. A lot of SAMs used to, some still might, have them in their stores. I can't understand why this egg, bought new, would not have the egg warranty.

XLBGE 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    I was just in Sam's, and here's what they had in Little Rock.  The language on the registration page still says purchases at "discount clubs" don't qualify for the warranty.  Anybody looking at this might want to call BGE to make certain whether "discount clubs" means Sam's, or if they're meaning something like a Big Lots store.
  • MrCookingNurse
    I just read all the comments. The SAMs price is going to be good. If I remember, a LBGE was like 550 when I looked last year. I believe he SAMs warranty would be on top of the BGE one.

BUTT.... And this is a big one

Replacing parts and stuff will not be easy at SAMs like others have said. There is no substitute for an amazing dealer!

XLBGE 
  • LDR
    edited March 2013

I paid $850 at Plano.  Mine had the platesetter and ash tool.  This one has the egg mates instead.

• MrCookingNurse
    Thanks @ldr

That is not a good price

XLBGE 
  • okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    I purchased from Sams, and I contacted BGE, they will not honor the warranty when purchased from Sam's, my question is were is Sam's getting there stock if not from BGE. Warranty not a huge deal to me for the cost saving, but would of liked knowing before purchase, Sam's should make it known upfront.
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • okienine said:
    I purchased from Sams, and I contacted BGE, they will not honor the warranty when purchased from Sam's, my question is were is Sam's getting there stock if not from BGE. Warranty not a huge deal to me for the cost saving, but would of liked knowing before purchase, Sam's should make it known upfront.
    They get the eggs from distributors that are trying to get rid of extra stock. They are not supposed to sell to them just like costco,  they cant give the warranty either. And dont have to say anything about the warrenty. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I buy my cigars from my local "brick and mortar". I could get them cheaper on line and maybe I'm stupid....i like supporting local companies.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I wonder if BGE doesn't have something worked out with Sams to get rid of overstock or last years models. Kinda like Big Lots and excess Serta mattresses

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • LDR
    edited March 2013

Here's a wild guess from reading the warranty/registration page, and noticing that the tag at Sam's said the eggs were a "one time buy" item.  It IS the distributors dumping the eggs.  The reason BGE isn't offering the warranty is that the original purchaser of the egg is Sam's Club - rather than the person who buys the egg from Sam's Club.

How that's different from my purchase of the egg from Ace Hardware in Plano must be some kind of magical formula where I'm actually buying the egg from the distributor (Paragon ?).  I suspect it's a licensing arrangement where the approved retailer is selling to me on behalf of the distributor. 

I suppose it's a good arrangement for the distrbutor and Sam's Club  However, this arrangement has got to be pulling customers away from the local egg stores, where the purchase would have otherwise happened. 

That's assuming there aren't a lot of $900 impulse buys of an egg as guys walk through the pallets of rice and chicken broth.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

There was a big lawsuit years ago filed by Calvin Klein (or Tiffany's?) against Costco for selling their products.  They claimed since Costco wasn't one of their dealers, and since they were selling a lower than the minimum advertised price, they were devaluing their entire brand.

Costco told them to stick it because they bought the products from a approved dealer (gray market), and they have the right to resell anything they want.  They went against the dealer saying they shouldn't have sold to Costco, but the dealer didn't know who they were selling to.  Long story short, Costco won.

That's why you can still get Breitling's, Omega's, and other high priced watches plus Tommy Hilfiger & Calvin Klein clothes there.  Same deal with BGE at Sam's.  The manufacturers can refuse to honor the warranty, but Costco and Sams will always stand behind the product as long as you return it with all the pieces.

• Eggcelsior
    I agree, but the dealers know exactly who they are selling to. They are given offers they can't refuse.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    As much as I prefer to support local business, the 2 dealers I bought my eggs from are nothing to write home about. The first one was OK, the second is an idiot without any regard for the value of a customer. Costco on the other hand has always treated me right and saved me a lot of money over the years.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • okienine
    I tend to support local, but only one local and he had only one LBGE in and he wanted 1350 with the way he had it set up. Price different was just to much to justify.
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Just mark "gift" on the warranty ;)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited March 2013
    Costco created quite a stir when they sold bge in Canada last year ...
    After the dust settled, BGE still came out ahead because,
    1.  eggcessories sale went up
    2. people who never heard of the eggs became egg owners, many on impulse
    3. they also became egg ambassadors
    When cooking at the Toronto Eggfest in early June, I met few new eggheads who bought from Costco recently.
    canuckland
  • jbva
    jbva Posts: 11
    Use a local delear.  When you buy local the money spent on average turns over 32 times before it leaves your area.  If you do not have a job that depends on a local economy you know someone that does.  

I paid $770.00 for my LGBE at Christmas including the nest and a bag of coal, and delivery.  He also gave my wife 10-20 off accesories when she went back months later for Birthday presents.  I think that was fair.  I did check two dealers and went with the lower one

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I paid $950 out the door. Egg, PS, kit...+ TN sales tax, 10%.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    My dealers price was pretty close to that with the nest (I didn't want the nest). The whole reason I went with the BGE over a Kamodo Joe, Bayou Classic or similar Ceramic cooker was the Big Green Egg warranty.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Parallel said:
    My dealers price was pretty close to that with the nest (I didn't want the nest). The whole reason I went with the BGE over a Kamodo Joe, Bayou Classic or similar Ceramic cooker was the Big Green Egg warranty.

Kamado Joe has the same warranty as the BGE.  Lifetime on the shell, 5 years on the metal, 3 on the plate setter, and 1 on everything else.

Not sure how the service is, but like Egg, it comes down to the dealer.  There are some dealers that will not do anything in regard to the warranty unless you bought it from them.  My dealer went out of business, so I always just call down to the company store when I need a new firebox or plate setter.  I just pay for shipping and it shows up 3-4 days later.  Much easier than going through the other dealers.

• JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Does Big Green Egg (the company) have any sort of official response to this?  Do they acknowledge that their product is being sold at Sam's Club and do they acknowledge that they will not handle warranty claims made on those items?  I have searched the net over for information on this and there is nothing to be found in any official capacity.  All I can read about is forum posts such as these on this issue and I can't tell whether or not it's fact or heresay.

• okienine
    Below is a copy of the email I received in my response to that very question... I'm sorry but Sams Club is not an authorized Big Green Egg dealer. We will not cover grills purchased from them under warranty Our advise is to return the grill and purchase one from an authorized Big Green Egg dealer. For a grill that offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner, it would be unfortunate to lose that benefit. Regards, Duane On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM, I purchased a large BGE this weekend from our local Sams Club, as I was registering the warranty I read the statement concerning discount chains not being authorized dealers. My concern is that I now have a BGE that is not covered by a warranty, but I would assume that Sams Club made arrangements to sell your products in advance and were all new stock delivered. Can you please let me know if this is going to be an issue if I ever have a need for warranted service work? Thank you in advance. -- Customer Support Team facebook.com/biggreenegg BigGreenEgg.com
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    What I saw at Sam's Club today bothered me.  If I didn't already know better, I'd have believed that this grill was junk due to the way it was assembled.  The grill had a rather massive 'underbite' due to the way the dome lid was not centered on the base.  If Big Green Egg is concerned with their high quality reputation, they probably should not let Sam's Club employees assemble these grills for display.

If BGE does not warrant sales by places such as Sam's Club, who is providing that quantity of grills to them?  Which Big Green Egg authorized dealers are capable of supplying Large Big Green Eggs to that many Sam's Club stores?  Sam's has them listed on their website now as well.  Most BGE dealers that i have come across are smaller operations.  They don't even usually stock more than one or two of each grill along with several pieces of each accessory.  I know they are not capable of distributing to someone like Sam's Club.  Sam's has to be buying these grills in quantity from someone larger than a standard authorized BGE dealer...