Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pistachio Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Balsamic Honey Wine Sauce

500 Posts: 3,177
Small 1# pork tenderloin, scored and seasoned w/ EVOO, Salt, pepper, and crushed pistachios.  Cooked raised direct at 350* to 140* IT.  Rested and loosely foiled, then sliced and served with a sauce of sweet and sour dried cherries, pinot noir wine, balsamic vinegar, and honey.  Sides of twice baked potatoes, brussel sprouts and more pinot noir in the glass.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    Nicely done!  It looks great and pretty easy.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow!  That is a fine looking meal!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! Did you end up using mustard or find a good method for getting the pistachios to stick? I still plan on make some version of this soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    We decided on a more elegant meal, since we were celebrating our wedding anniversary Saturday night. 

It was the first time Mrs. 500 tried her hand at brussel sprouts.  The bacon and shallots in them were a nice touch.  She's got the twice baked potatoes down now too.

For the sauce, I modified this Martha recipe, adding 1 T. of honey, and substituting a young fruit forward Pinot Noir instead of the Port.  I found that just pressing the crushed pistachios into the meat firmly, got them to stick on the oiled meat.  The ones that were crushed to a fine dust did hold better than the larger pieces.  Through the cook, I gingerly turned it.  I think slower cooking at the raised grid helped to not burn the nuts, although the bigger ones did get scorched some.  I used dried cherries because fresh are not in season.  I'll try it again with fresh when they come around again.  I think it was a decent first effort to modify an inside cook for the Egg, and would do it again. 
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    Happy Anniversary! 

That sounds like a good way of doing it., I was thinking going indirect and maybe turning it once or not at all to help with the fire reaching the pistachios and not burning them or having them fall off while turning. I like the pinot noir substitution. 

I still need to try brussel sprouts I haven't had them in a long time and hated them back then.. bacon and shallots would be right up my alley. Did she make them inside or on the egg? 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    Only the pork was Egged.  The sauce and everything else was sans Egg.
    Member since 2009
  • Solson005
    Ok thanks, brussel sprouts are on the list but the pork is up at the top. I'll get to both of them eventually. 
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Wow, talk about taking something plain and really amping it up.
    Nicely done, I'll have to try this. I love the Brussel sprouts too, but I'm the only one in the house who does.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a great looking cook! I'll take a plate, please... but I'm not marrying you for it. Happy Anniversary, too!

@Solson005 + @lscott : brusells sprouts are a fav in our house, especially drizzled with some balsamic vinegar.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    Oh yeah, there was some balsamic in the Brussels as well. They were really good. And between them on Saturday and boiled cabbage on Sunday, I'm still blowing the trouser trumpet.
    Member since 2009
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    sounds and looks, mighty fine.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Brussels sprout tolerance in my house is directly proportional to the amount of Asian Toasted Sesame salad dressing used to prepare them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Brussels sprouts take some time to cook, i used them in a side yesterday, tossed them in with some thick sliced fresh mushrooms and banana peppers.  Coated them with balsamic vinagerette dressing and garlic salt.  Cooked high in the dome, over a spatchcocked chicken, cooking at 400 degrees.  Came out good, the peppers overcooked, but were decent!!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks fantastic!