Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Ribeye

So we decided since it was a lovely day that I should egg.  I reverse seared a Ribeye seasoned with salt, pepper a a bit of Penzy's English Prime Rib rub.  I did it 250 until 110 and then 550 1 minute each side.  It was so tender! 

I also did some mushrooms and peppers and a cucumber/feta/tomato salad and a baked potato.  We are now comatose and have leftovers for tomorrow before the auto show.

imageimage
Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great. How'd you do the mushrooms?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    CPARKTX said:
    Looks great. How'd you do the mushrooms?
    I simply tossed them in a tiny bit of olive oil with salt and pepper.  I put them on when I started the steak and then when the steak was resting and I was bringing the egg up to 550 I finished them up with the peppers.
  • Beautiful!  I will try this!
    Dave

no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    That is my favourite cook, right down to the Penzey's! (Sometimes use Chicago steak spice.)
    Great cook.  

For the shrooms, suggest you try some butter. Heat a tbs of butter in the nuke and mix with the oil, toss the shrooms, salt and pepper. The butter really adds flavour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mbhutton
    mbhutton Posts: 19
    Looks awesome!!!
  • blueinatl
    That is my favourite cook, right down to the Penzey's! (Sometimes use Chicago steak spice.)
    Great cook.  

For the shrooms, suggest you try some butter. Heat a tbs of butter in the nuke and mix with the oil, toss the shrooms, salt and pepper. The butter really adds flavour. 
    Great idea with the butter!  Butter makes everything better.  I'll try the same on the peppers as well.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good.  I'll have to check out the Penzy's Prime Rib Rub
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    I like the reverse sear for steak better than t-rex method...but it seems to be split opinions on who prefers what.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • blueinatl
    Crispix49 said:
    I like the reverse sear for steak better than t-rex method...but it seems to be split opinions on who prefers what.
    At dinner we were saying that we were going to have to try it both ways to figure which we liked best.  I can't wait to try other steaks this way as well.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    Looks good.  I'll have to check out the Penzy's Prime Rib Rub
    TJ, @Brownie turned me on to Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub, it has become a favourite. It does make a nice crust on a rib roast. It is also good as a meatloaf spice or mixed in burgers. Ingredient include Flake salt, celery, sugar, Tellicherry black pepper, toasted onion, white onion, garlic and arrowroot. 
    @Crispix49, although I am a big fan of reverse sear, for fillets and the odd NY strip, I like them blasted with heat and rested. Different mood, different cooks.... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    +1 for the prime rib rub. It's great on anything beef.