Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Road trip to Salado from NOLA!

Well, we on the road ya hear.   We have so much crap packed we had to put the back seats down and create a cargo bay.

@Mickey - I'm equipped with some multi-media stuff like the giant ghetto blaster, MBP, projector.  I plan on projecting embarrassing pictures that I've collected of certain forum members on the side of the inn.  Should be quite exciting.  For music, the sky is the limit, but we might start off with some Zamfir and his mighty pan-flute, then progress to some old-school Hanson. 

We're just entering the nightmarish traffic in Baton Rouge (AKA "Red Stick").

Here are some pictures, I'll be sure to document a little more, as the terrain between here and San Antonio is extremely boring and it gives me something to do.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

If that chest is missing VI stole it.

Travel safe my friend.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Have a safe trip, brother. See you in Salado! 

[And try to save a vampire sausage for me].

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Does that speedometer read 90 mph?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Chubbs said:
    Does that speedometer read 90 mph?
    80 is 12 o'clock.  Dual stage turbo charger probably hasn't even kicked in.  Damn traffic. 
    caliking said:
    Have a safe trip, brother. See you in Salado! 

[And try to save a vampire sausage for me].
    Thanks caliking!  I have a giant cooler packed with an insane amount of vampire flesh sausage, turkey, brisket and butt, most of it already cooked sous vide, just needs a sear.  Looking forward to meeting you and all the other miscreants.
    Be safe! Y'all have a blast! I'm make this trip one day.

Those long texas interstates are insanely boring.

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Had to stop in "West" TX for beer, kraut and sausage. I asked for beets in it...they asked if i was Dwight Shrute.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Beet farming is over rated. I'd rather pickle.
    @ nolaegghead, What time will you be arriving in Salado? And where will you be staying? We will be staying at the Inn and this is sure shaping up to be a good time!! Weather is going to be perfect!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • nolaegghead
    @sancho65 - We're going to San Antonio today, crash at my mom's.  On Friday we should get to Salado around 3PM, plus or minus an hour, depending on the lines at Specs.  We have 2 rooms at the inn on Friday and 5 there on Sat.  I'll be the guy with the giant ghetto blaster letting the air out of VI's Vespa tires so he stays an extra day.  Looking forward to meeting y'all.  SWMBO aka "fleurdelirious" will be trying to keep me from being arrested by the local 5-0. 
    henapple said:
    Had to stop in "West" TX for beer, kraut and sausage. I asked for beets in it...they asked if i was Dwight Shrute.
    Just got off the phone with Hornhonk (he puts on the Plano Fest) and he just said he would be stopping in West as well for kolaches.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Update - just rolled into Texas.  And passed the Cecil Attkinson Toyota dealership.  Made me think of Mickey.  I hear Cecil is active on the Grill Dome forum.
    I've made that drive a lot of times, and yes, it is boring.  What I want to know is how you talked SWMBO intro driving so you could be on the computer?? I always get stuck with driving....despite promises to the contrary before every road trip!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I realize all of you are normal, everyday good people, but I feel like attending the Salado Eggfest would be equivalent to attending a MLB fantasy baseball camp. 

I look forward to the flood of posts and pictures from the upcoming weekend.  Have fun, guys! Wish I could join you!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sounds like a good time will be had by all. I wish I could be there. Y'all have fun and be safe.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @SaltySam. I think it will be more like someone loudly calling across the area; "VI get off you butt, your Vespa is on fire out in the field".

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I believe debauchery would be a good one-word description.  Sure wish I was going to be there. On my bucket list-at least til the post-fest documentation becomes viral :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    I don't know if it'll be the case during this fest, but it seems like whenever there's a fest everyone get's so busy partying they don't post much....

@CPARKTX - she loves driving and it's her brand new SUV...newness hasn't faded away yet.
    If I bought my wife a new Beamer SUV she better shut up and drive.

Oh Lordy I'm dead if she sees this X_X

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If I bought my wife a new Beamer SUV she better shut up and drive. Oh Lordy I'm dead if she sees this X_X
    I clicked disagree just in case MY wife ever sees this! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Travel safe.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ya'll watch out for them armored dillos!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Wish I could come, maybe next year. Have a brother-in-law in Wichita Falls, maybe I can con a visit around Salado time
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Been packing all day. Off to OKC to catch a concert tonight, driving back to Frisco tomorrow to load up the truck...the down to Salado.

I'll cold beer and smotth whiskey as soon as we arrive at the Inn!

(any volunteers to ehlp unload my XL out of the truck?!)

[-O<
    BOOMER!
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Have a safe and fun trip @nolaegghead!

Saints update for ya.. They just signed CB Keenan Lewis from the Steelers.. Unfortunately, the Falcons got Steven Jackson.  :(
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks @bccomstock

I'm still bummed about Jermon Bushrod. 

We're 181 miles outside of San Antonio - still in this lousy Houston traffic.

I thought I saw VI on his Vespa, but it turned out to be a kid on a banana seat bike.
    Thanks @bccomstock

I'm still bummed about Jermon Bushrod. 

We're 181 miles outside of San Antonio - still in this lousy Houston traffic.

I thought I saw VI on his Vespa, but it turned out to be a kid on a banana seat bike.

=))
  • henapple
    Henapple...party of one.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

henapple said:
    Henapple...party of one.
    I wish I would have known you were going to be here today. I would have had you over for supper. 

Salado is beautiful, aint it?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    Damn it's nice here. Mickey and i moved a couple of eggs. I've got 3 cases of import beer, case of cigars...i guess I'll go get more Saturday morning. is the steakhouse any good here?