Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Darn - daisy dented my table - fix to avoid that...

jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Dented my table when the daisy fell off. 

Left over nomex cut in half with scissors. Perfect fit...ceramic topper fits perfectly as well.

Highly recommend doing this.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2012
    One "other" fix: don't use it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391

I agree with Mickey...

The daisey wheel looks cool, but really, there's no seriously good reason to use it.

It's just not needed...

RicklesssS in Oregon

• I get your opinions...I really do. You actually can control everything with just the bottom vent.

For Pizza and searing...no daisy for me. Also, for whenever I want little to no smoke...no daisy.

For low and slows, I like to fine tune with the daisy. I understand that I could accomplish virtually the same thing by using the bottom vent. Just a preference, I guess.

Just like the gasket vs. no gasket crowds, whatever works. I ain't gonna argue with good food either way man. :)
  • You can steam the dent out of your table with an iron, as long as it isn't too deep. Place a wet rag over the dent, then put your iron on the steam setting and iron away. The steam will expand the wood fibers and cause the dent to go away.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • You can steam the dent out of your table with an iron, as long as it isn't too deep. Place a wet rag over the dent, then put your iron on the steam setting and iron away. The steam will expand the wood fibers and cause the dent to go away.
    thanks for the info....
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    @jimreed777 I like the idea, but isn't that a mess after a couple of low and slows?

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    BOWHUNR said:
    @jimreed777 I like the idea, but isn't that a mess after a couple of low and slows?

Mike
    nope
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Stop drinking....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Nothin' wrong witha lil'-o dent!
  • Place the daisy pivot screw towards the front of the Egg and it won't fall off.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Place the daisy pivot screw towards the front of the Egg and it won't fall off.

It will if its a small Egg. It just don't fit right.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013
    bud812 said:
    Place the daisy pivot screw towards the front of the Egg and it won't fall off.

It will if its a small Egg. It just don't fit right.

I agree on the small DFMT, I feel this design flaw has been around for 8 years...sad to say.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited March 2013
    My small DW will on occasion, fall off. It doesn't fit as well as the DW on my large. Kind of agree with Smitty.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The daisy pivot screw should always be positioned towards the handle, that way when you lift the dome the temp settings don't change. 
    the daisy is much easier to control than the bottom vent, but use whatever works. 
    the key is don't drop it!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    On the small could you line the side of the dw with left over nomex?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like using the DW.  I use them both, but it's nice to not bend over to adjust the bottom damper.  I feel like using the DW also keeps more moisture and smoke in the dome.
    I always use both. It's how I started doing it and now I know exactly how to dial my eggs right in. For some odd reason, like Nola said, I feel using the DW keeps more smoke and moisture in the egg.

There is an obvious problem with the top of the small egg. I just make it a habit to take ceramic cap off when moving egg lid. I have gasket material for my LBGE and might look into lining the top like some have.

The screw on the daisy wheel should always be aligned with the handle. Like skiddymarker said, it also holds your settings when opening lid.

XLBGE