Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving from Calif. to Kerrville, Tx., pros and cons?

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
The wife and I are thinking about moving from Northern Calif. to Kerrville, Tx. What are the pros and cons?
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Con: packing your belongings and risking a cracked egg.

Pro: getting out of the a bankrupt state. But I do live northern California.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    edited March 2013
    fire ants

Swollen so bad I couldn't even put on shoes.

Those bastards are pure evil.
  • billyray said:
    The wife and I are thinking about moving from Northern Calif. to Kerrville, Tx. What are the pros and cons?
    Being anywhere but in California is always a plus.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • Pros: 

Texas is a cool place and Kerrville is nice (country town with a hippie vibe)
    Very low cost of living compared to NORCAL- you could buy a very nice, large home with a pool and a panoramic hill country view for a fraction of what you could buy a small home for in NORCAL. And I mean NICE. 
    Very different political scene. Not great, but they leave you the heck alone here. 
    Very low taxes (no income tax) and lower prop taxes than you are used to as well. 
    Good folks

Cons:

Dude, it is so hot in the summer you will die if you are used to NORCAL Weather. I'm not kidding. It's hot from the time you get out of bed until 10PM for 4 straight months. The rest is awesome. Did I mention it was hot in the summer (get a pool)?

NORCAL, it ain't. The hill county is nice but Kerrville is in the sticks and it's country. Lot's of pickups and chicken fried steaks out that way. 

It would take most people quite a lot to get used to the differences in a small TX town and NORCAL. I love NORCAL and would live there is a second if I had millions of dollars and could stand the political environment. Kerville is a cool little town but you are a long, long way from home if you move there. I would think Culture Shock might be an understatement.

Most people that move here from CA love it. It's a bargain compared to what you are used to, the people are great (just ask 'em). But if you love it there (CA), it could not be any more different. I assume you have visited kerrville and that's where the interest comes from?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The operation is gonna hurt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You could be part of the screw you guys, I mean that is a definite pro. :D
  • I dunno if this is pro or con for you (I like it) but you will have rattlesnakes in your yard from time to time. They can be quite large. Coyotes are common, armadillos- everywhere. Tarantulas the size of a saucer, and scorpions everywhere (not a big fan of these but I like all the other stuff). Not totally uncommon to see mountain lions too which I think is really cool.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013
    We've left California three different times it seems to always come down to "Weather vs. $$$$$$"...we came back everytime.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• We've left California three different times it seems to always come down to "Weather vs. $$$$$$"...we came back everytime.
    I hear you there. I've moved to Austin 3 times. I guess it will stick one day :) It's home for me so I tolerate the summer weather for friends and.................I guess family :)). I love Northern Cali though. Hope to see you guys at the fest. I'm glad I get to visit several times per year. I get just enough to keep me coming back.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited March 2013
    @billy ray-There are many variables as mentioned above but the fact that you are considering it is a major one-I had grand plans to eventually hang it up in Cali-but I got too fired up with and about the politics and growth and rules and taxes.  Eventually sold a home in northern CA and one in San Diego (before the real estate run of the early 2000's-left many $$ on the table) and never looked back.   Can't beat the weather but beyond that....Just live by the phrase of the late, great Leroy "Satchel" Paige; "Don't look back, something might be gainin on ya!" regardless of where you land.  Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    NorCal = no humidity
    TX = lots of humidity
    You also lose those trips to SF and Tahoe.

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Hill country. Best part of Texas by far.

Great hunting. Hot as hell. Low cost of living. No income taxes.

And Johnny Football is from Kerrvile!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • NorCal = no humidity
    TX = lots of humidity
    You also lose those trips to SF and Tahoe.

All true. No wine country here either........still a cool place to live.

• @billyray - Forget all that opressive hot Texas weather and people who say "screw you" for no apparent reason.  If you're looking for crazy wild west action like a frontier town on Saturday night along with lovely changes of seasons, might I suggest Flint, Michigan? 
    Flint, Michigan
  • fire ants

Swollen so bad I couldn't even put on shoes.

Those @#!*% are pure evil.
    They have been eradicated (or at least very well controlled) down here for the most part. I was on a hike back in the hills earlier today and saw a big mound and couldn't believe it. Wanted to go home and grab some andro  and take it back there (pretty sure that's what killed them all) but it's been so long since I've bought any I wouldn't know where to look for it. I haven't seen any in a few years- thank god.

They are freaking evil though. You are right about that. Hope they never come back the way they were. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I would kill myself before I lived in Cali. Folks in Afghanistan have more freedom.

Texas is very laissez-faire when it comes to what the private individual does.

To me, it's a no brainer.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I love TX, especially central...Round Rock, Austin..

Consider Tennessee

West TN offers great bbq, a deep music history and a decent economy. The famed Natchez Trace is close by. If nothing else spend a weekend there. Skip Rendezvous...try Blue City or Dryer's for the greasiest hamburger you've ever had.

East TN Is called "God's Country". The mountains are beyond beautiful. There's plenty to do but also quiet country with nothing but deer, coyote and and moonshine on the front porch. It is a Harley rider's dream and sportsman paradise plus Dolly Parton lives there...oh, i already mentioned the mountains. Bluegrass music and festivals galore

Now, where i live....Middle Tennessee. Known mainly for country music it is a hot spot for all genres. From REM to Jack White to Neil Young Nashville is a hot bed for all music lovers. The Titans and Predators can be seen at a reasonable price plus the over 100k seat Neyland Stadium at UT. Sprawling with small communities linked together with highways that provide a relaxing afternoon drive there is always a new cafe or diner to experience. There's always a party waiting....from mini brewers in Sparta, Murfreesboro and Nashville to the "Spring Water" from Woodbury to the famous Jack Daniel's home in Lynchburg we know and take pride in our libations. A booming economy in a time where few are provides great values on land and homes which have shown to be a positive investment. Nissan, Verizon and Amazon are just a few known companies that call Rutherford County home. Friendly people, good neighbors and community events. We enjoy four seasons from redbuds and dogwoods in the spring, summer boating on our several lakes and rivers, fall leaves and festivals to mild winters there's always a season waiting to begin anew. With great bass and trout fishing to deer hunting...the outdoors offers many great days. I guess everybody loves where they grew up....

I love home.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @henapple Your avatar is toooooo cool man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    henapple said:
    Now, where i live....Middle Tennessee. Known mainly for country music it is a hot spot for all genres. From REM to Jack White to Neil Young Nashville is a hot bed for all music lovers. The Titans and Predators can be seen at a reasonable price plus the over 100k seat Neyland Stadium at UT. Sprawling with small communities linked together with highways that provide a relaxing afternoon drive there is always a new cafe or diner to experience. There's always a party waiting....from mini brewers in Sparta, Murfreesboro and Nashville to the "Spring Water" from Woodbury to the famous Jack Daniel's home in Lynchburg we know and take pride in our libations. A booming economy in a time where few are provides great values on land and homes which have shown to be a positive investment. Nissan, Verizon and Amazon are just a few known companies that call Rutherford County home. Friendly people, good neighbors and community events. We enjoy four seasons from redbuds and dogwoods in the spring, summer boating on our several lakes and rivers, fall leaves and festivals to mild winters there's always a season waiting to begin anew. With great bass and trout fishing to deer hunting...the outdoors offers many great days. I guess everybody loves where they grew up.... I love home.
    Every word about Middle Tennessee is true. My roots are in Alabama, grew up there and still have a lot of family there. However, my home will always be in Middle Tennessee.

The only thing you left out is that you don't have to drive east to see D1 college football & basketball. Go Blue Raiders!
  • henapple
    My wife graduated from MTSU...i finally graduated from Toot's.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    edited March 2013
    I graduated from MTSU too, henapple. I'm a born and bred California native. I hate this state with a burning passion and would jump at the chance to move to Texas. California is a lost cause.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Oh and now I want some Toot's. Thanks a lot.
  • Flint and all of Michigan is calling you! Hey! Quit laughing! Where are you going so fast? Get back here!! I haven't finished my pitch!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    IMHO I would take either option, y'all don't want to be up here in the Great White North. Rained about 1 inch here today, with rain in the forecast all week. It is beautiful here in the summer, but boy it rains in the fall and spring. L-)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Kerrville Folk Festival. One of the beat in North America

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Kerrville is not as humid as you think.  Most summers, it is humid in late May and early June then it just starts drying out and getting 1% more brown each day over the next 3 months.

Another interesting statistic I heard (maybe 8 years ago) about Kerrville is that it is #1 town in Texas for people moving into it on a per capita basis - yet it's population isn't growing all that fast, at least relative to the really rapidly growing cities in Texas.  It seems to be that a big percentage of the people moving there are retiring to Kerrville and stay there until they die.  There are a lot of retirees there.

On the upside, the surrounding area is beautiful with rivers and hills and there are a lot of opportunities to get out into the country to parks and wide open spaces.   And while the wineries in the area are few and small compared to Napa, there are some excellent vineyards in the area, like Becker that is just east of Fredricksburg, and Driftwood which is near the Salt Lick.

And did anybody mention that housing and land are REALLY INEXPENSIVE?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Beautiful country, definitely a culture shock for you I'm sure, but in no time you'll be driving a 4 wheel drive pick up truck and own multiple fire arms. Might take longer for the cowboy hat and boots. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i have florida, texas, and california scratched off the list
    :D might as well cross off the whole south, i cant take the heat, 80 is too hot for me
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    I travel from Yuma to Orlando to Michigan and Washington DC. I've found a formula. You can get to know a city or area by a couple of signs.

Parking lots. Are the carts neatly put back in the racks or scattered across the lot, left where they were unloaded.

Restaurant restrooms. Is there graffiti all over the stalls or clean. Paper towels on the floor or in the trash bin.

Cigarette butts. On the ground or in the ashtray.

Simple things that usually represent the town.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Griffin said:
    Beautiful country, definitely a culture shock for you I'm sure, but in no time you'll be driving a 4 wheel drive pick up truck and own multiple fire arms. Might take longer for the cowboy hat and boots. ;)
    Advice on cowboy boots: don't use dress socks, the boots will kill you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.