Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monster ribeyes...it's what's for dinner

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I stopped by Win Dixie this evening looking for steaks, and it was either really thin ribeyes or these monsters.  Not wanting the thin ones, I decided to go big.

about 40 minutes indirect slowly rising from 225F to 300F, and then 2 minutes per side at 500-600F raised direct.

The big one is not quite done (only 110F when I pulled them).  That's fine...because it's dinner tomorrow...and now I can reheat it without overcooking it.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great to me! Another 10 degrees and I would have ate it tonight.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I want to eat it right now!  =P~ good job! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • njl
    Options
    The pair was 3.3lbs.  Wife and I split the smaller one for dinner and there's still enough of it left over for her to probably have it for lunch.  Or maybe I'll have steak for breakfast.
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    Now that's a nice looking plate of steak!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    mother of djeebus!  That looks nomy. nom nom nom
    You made the right decision.  You went big!  That is a monster cook.  Great job!
    Flint, Michigan
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    njl said:

The pair was 3.3lbs.  Wife and I split the smaller one for dinner and there's still enough of it left over for her to probably have it for lunch.  Or maybe I'll have steak

for breakfast.

3.3 lbs. what will the wife eat? That should be just enough for you.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Go big and go home. That's what I always say. Oh, and cook to 120.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Some big ole steaks. Mmmm....steak and eggs for breakfast. I could go for that right about now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    =P~

XLBGE 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice! ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Exactly how I like mine. Thick and raw. Looks awesome
    Boom
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Wholly Molly, that's a nice chunk of cow!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    WOW That looks Awesome 
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • njl
    Options
    Raw?  The sliced up one hit at least 120F.  That's done.  The second one, I tried warming up tonight in a cast iron pan on the stove top first, then in a 400F oven.  It ended up way more done than I usually like, but was still good.  I think it actually had less edible meat than the smaller one though...or we just ate more.  There was less left over.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    njl said:

Raw?  The sliced up one hit at least 120F.  That's done.  The second one, I tried warming up tonight in a cast iron pan on the stove top first, then in a 400F oven.  It ended up way more done than I usually like, but was still good.  I think it actually had less edible meat than the smaller one though...or we just ate more.  There was less left over.

Yeah 120 is about what I like. People like to call that raw. I like a cool center ha.
    Boom
  • njl
    Options
    The joke in the house when I was growing up was the way we all liked our steak was "just walk it through the kitchen".
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    njl said:

The joke in the house when I was growing up was the way we all liked our steak was "just walk it through the kitchen".

Yup. Try telling waitress you want it as raw as she can legally serve ha. Of course that was before I started making steaks on Egg. Outback and Longhorn can suck it now ha
    Boom
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @njl - you are the Wizard of the reverse sear! Great cook. If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with a raised direct for the sear? I always done my sear at the fire ring level, same heat, but a little less time. I can see that at 500-600 raised, some of the rub and seasoning might survive the sear. Did you season with anything special?
    Great cook. 
    ^:)^
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Eggcellent!!!  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• njl
    Options
    @njl - you are the Wizard of the reverse sear! Great cook. If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with a raised direct for the sear? I always done my sear at the fire ring level, same heat, but a little less time. I can see that at 500-600 raised, some of the rub and seasoning might survive the sear. Did you season with anything special?
    Great cook. 
    ^:)^
    Nah...I just get lucky from time to time.  With ribeyes, I always go raised because the amount of fat in them tends to cause big flare up grease fires and though I don't mind the outside being cooked, I'm not a fan of charred.  Even raised, when I was searing these, the cooking grid was on fire when I picked them up.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    What a great cook.  I miss Winn Dixie!