Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you Turbo a Brisket if needed?

AlbertaEgger
AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
The question is the title, just seeing if I have time to do up a small one for some ruben sandwiches tonight.
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    good question. done butts and ribs but have not a brisket (don't flame me but never cooked a brisket and from Texas).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You can braise one in a couple of hours but not cook one dry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have done a few turbo briskeys on accident. If you get your dome temp above 400,  you will need to drape some foil over the meat so it doesn't scorch. 

They turn out just fine when done at high temps. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The most famous BBQ places in Texas (Kruez Market and Smitty's in Lockhart, and city market in Lulling) all cook their briskets in 4-5 hours. Most comp teams cook them fast as well. I personally don't love the texture, but you can't argue with the 500 people in line every day at all those places. If you go turbo, go 400 degrees or so and wrap when the crust darkens up. The crutch (wrapping in foil or paper) will speed up the cook even more. Count on 30-40 minutes per lb at 400 and using the crutch (wrapping). I love all those places but Franklin in Austin blows them away and he is more traditional in his temps (but still higher than "low and slow"- he goes 325 or so at this place). He texture is perfect. The other guys aren't even close, but they are still really good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AlbertaEgger

Sooo...turned ou tnot to bad, not great, but not bad. No marinade, no mop, nothing, just some dizzy rub. I was pretty happy to find a dealer in Alberta by the way. Here are some pics, not to bad for being layed up most of the night and day with a migraine, this is why I needed to do a quick cook and did not get any prep in.

Here are some pictures as well of rib night on Sat, half are done with a black cherry sauce, and the other just with my new Dizzy Dust.

Thanks for all the advice again. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • You Canadians have some weird looking briskets...................
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    You Canadians have some weird looking briskets...................
    That looks more like the deckle I took this morning on the lou.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thanks Travis. I just became a vegetarian. :-O
  • AlbertaEgger
    Agreed, not what we usually purchase from the butcher, however I was not there to purchase it or pick it up. Figured I would cook it up anyways. It was also cut up into slices by the wife for some reason so she could freeze them seperatly, not my choice, but I wasnt here at the time.
  • AlbertaEgger
    I actually debated posting that cause it looked so goofy, however, still tastes good.
  • You Canadians have some weird looking briskets...................
    That looks more like the deckle I took this morning on the lou.
    Disturbing, no doubt, but I always appreciate the use of The King's English. Let's call it a draw.........even though I may not sleep for days.

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!