Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recalibrated BGE Thermometer

I'm a new owner, about 2 weeks, and have been reading a lot on this web site.  I decided to test the accuracy of the thermometer that came with the BGE.  I boiled a pot of water and put about 1/2 of the stem in the pot, being careful to not touch the metal of the pot.  It came up about 10 to 12 degrees F. low.  I  held the nut on the thermometer with a pair of pliers and twisted the dial to get it back to 100 degrees Celsius and tested it again.  Now it is right on 100 degrees C or 212 F.  I can't wait to try another Boston Butt. 
Columbia, SC

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    New egger that diggs right in. I like the motivation. Welcome to the community.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Calibrated mine this weekend before smoking a butt. It was off 30 degrees. Been cooking hotter than I thought.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Welcome, an accurate dome thermo is a must. The more you smoke the more often you should pull the thermo, wipe off the probe and check the calibration. When you do a clean burn, I suggest you pull the thermo, no sense wrapping it around for the sake of watching it wrap around. Treat it right and it will last a long time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Welcome. Where are you from and what size egg do you have?

We like pictures and posts. Somebody can always get some info from every cook.

Actually now that you mention it, I probably need to check my dome thermometer it's been over a year.

Looking forward to more of your posts..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2013
    This is a good reminder for me too. I haven't checked since mid-summer. Might add to my to-do list this weekend
    Boom
  • Solson005 said:

Welcome. Where are you from and what size egg do you have?

I live in Columbia, SC and cooking on a large BGE. I've been cooking on gas for many years and watching the egg. I finally decided to get one about 2 week ago. Here is a picture of my first Boston Butt. It was great but I think I can do better. I took it off after 18 hours at 190°. Next time I going to 200°.
    Columbia, SC

500 Posts: 3,177
    Welcome to to this humble little BBQ forum.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Welcome to the forum.  Great looking BB.  Thanks for reminder on thermometer, haven't checked since it was new (6 months ago).

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Something that I do (and some others on the forum) - remove the clip from the dome thermo and leave it off.  Makes it easy to pull out for clean burns, calibrations, and it will keep the thermometer from piercing any food high in the dome (that'll really throw off the temp).  You can also rotate the thermometer so your target temp is at 12 o'clock - makes it easy to glance at the temp from far away.
    Your first Boston butt looks great! 

You got the high temp gasket so thats a plus and will last much longer than the old felt ones. Every butt can be different. So what I do along with many on the forum is use my probe to test it starting at 190° and check it every 5° until the probe slides in and out like butter or it hits 210°.

I like traditional low and slow but there are lots of people doing what is called a turbo butt and I have even seen Nitro Butts here lately cooking at higher temperature and still getting great results. Turbo butt times is a post that talks about both. 

The Naked Whiz is also a great site to find useful information about cooking on a ceramic grill. Here is the FAQs page
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Something that I do (and some others on the forum) - remove the clip from the dome thermo and leave it off.  Makes it easy to pull out for clean burns, calibrations, and it will keep the thermometer from piercing any food high in the dome (that'll really throw off the temp).  You can also rotate the thermometer so your target temp is at 12 o'clock - makes it easy to glance at the temp from far away.
    %$%$#@# you guys are way too smart for me.  What a great idea.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2013
    What part of Columbia? I live off Garners Ferry. @chubbs and @dyal_sc also live in Columbia.
    Boom
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Will you look at that virgin egg! Clean casket, clean ceramic, even a clean plate setter. Welcome. And know things won't remain that way for long. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • What part of Columbia? I live off Garners Ferry. @chubbs and @dyal_sc also live in Columbia.

I live in rhe Knollwood subdivision near the VA hospital.
    Columbia, SC

• @sarivers Welcome. I'm a convert to the turbo method, I start at 250 dome and lit rise to about 325. Cooks in half the time, meaning it can all take place during the day as we usually serve at dinner time. Once the bark builds a bit of foil, towel and cooler and it sits for 2-3 hours. always on time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another Columbia member! :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice! Columbia team is getting stronger. What dealer did you buy from?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I got mine from Jack Oliver's Pool Service on Millwod near Dreher High School. Nice guys that use the BGE at home and can tell you what to expect. They are moving to Forest Drive next month.
    Columbia, SC

• How far is Columbia from Greenville? I visit Greenville area every once in a while for work.

LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    How far is Columbia from Greenville? I visit Greenville area every once in a while for work.

It is about 110 miles.  I suspect Greenville probably has some very nice BGE dealers.
    Columbia, SC

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I rarely use the dome thermometer, although it is calibrated.  Too much variation between it and grate temp, especially at start of a long, low temp cook.  I use a Maverick and monitor grate temp.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • I wrapped mine a few weeks back and had to recalibrate.
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    You were smart to test the thermometer. Mine was off by 100 degrees F despite my dealer assuring me it was calibrated.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Good deal man. I did this tonight too

XLBGE 
  • Dang, my brand new egg thermometer was ~ 30 degrees low!  Set right now.
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR