Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip Fajitas?

Hi All,

I came across Tri-Tip today and picked one up. I'm completely unfamiliar with this cut, but see its popular in parts.

I'd like to try it as Fajitas, but aren't sure where to start. Is this a marinating steak like skirt/flank? Do I just season and cook til med-rare? Finally anyone with a good tri-tip fajita recipe?

Thanks!

-- Josh

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    it's such a tasty cut, you almost can't go wrong except for overcooking.  MR is perfect.  Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, maybe some chili powder, be creative.  The meat will stand on it's own.  Don't overcook!
    It should be a chunkier cut. I treat it like a eye round roast cook to mid rare and slice thin. I am a huge fan of the flat iron steak for fajitas. It has more fat content and is a thinner cut, closer to a flank, only better. Cook it whole rubbed with south west seasoning of your liking and slice and serve. Let me know how the tri tip turns out, I have only served it like " roast beef".
  • I'm a tri-tip newbie, just finally found a local source and bought 5 at once.  So far I have cooked them reverse sear and direct with basic beef seasoning.

I can't see why you couldn't use it for fajita meat if marinated and cooked whole but in my opinion, skirt, flank and flat iron are much better suited for that.  I like tri tip served (so far) cooked with just a basic beef rub and served with maybe a sauteed mushroom garnish.

That being said, with the leftovers I have made tri tip quesadillas and last night made an awesome batch of tri tip, Mexican rice, and cheese burritos. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Think of the Tri-tip like a big steak. I sear hot and fast let the egg cool down and cook to a med-rare. I love Dizzy Pig Fajitaish on Tri-tip but it is a hard cut to find around me, it would be a weekly cook if I could find it often. You can easily eat it by itself but it would make great fajitas too. When can I come over? 
    =P~

@R2Egg2Q has some great posts on tri-tip
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have actually sliced tri tip into strips and seasoned and then just seared them on a salt.block they come out good. I have also had them at a friends house Korean BBQ style marinated and then seared on the egg in slices.
  • Good stuff - thanks all!!!

I will report back on my first tri-tip...
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I like tri tip as a roast and don't recall having it in fajitas before. I suppose if you slice it thin (agaist the grain) or butterfly the tri tip, it could work.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Brian at WinnipEGGHEads did some back in January. I gave him a hard time about using tri-tip and Canadians trying to make fajitas out of tri-tip, but it looked like it turned out pretty good.

Tri-Tip Fajitas

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would suggest doing it just like the recipe @Griffin suggested.  It is a really tasty cut of meat, so I wouldn't drown it in marinade, pre-slice, and cook and pan fry it the way traditional fajitas are made. I would cook it as a roast and then do up the other fajita goodies separately.  Just my $.02.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My buddy in socal clued me in to tri tip. I'm lucky that I can find it all the time at Jungle Jim's here in Cincy.

The recipe he gave me has me marinade it in worcestershire sacue, minced garlic and rub for a few days until cooked.  Like previously mentioned, i wouldn't overdo it.  This process has produced some outstanding dinners and my entire family, including SWMBO loves it.  It's become a "go to" cook in my house now.

Remember, medium rare, and cut against the grain.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I've had mixed results with Tri-Tip but that picture looks really good
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Hard to beat tri-tip. Regular rotation in my house. I Trex it.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013