Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Skillet?

Options
I'm wanting to cook some blacked fish on the BGE and I'm wondering if this cast iron skillet would be safe to use

Any tips on grilling Grouper and Tilapia would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Options
    The lodge will be a great addition to you eggcesssories. I used mine last night for pan pizza.
    Sorry no tips for the fish.
    Edina, MN

• GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    Options
    Thank you Budgeezer.  

What size should I get if I have a large egg?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options

The inside of the large is 18 inches in diameter.  The photo shows a 12 inch skillet, to me that is kind of small considering it has sides and you need to get under your fish when turning it??  I found a sideless cast iron grill that is 14 inches in diameter -- had to cut the handle off. 

I use Paul Prudoume(sp) blackened redfish seasoning -- coating the entire refrigerated fillet with the seasoning, then dip the COLD fillet into melted butter -- coating both sides.  The butter will stick to the cold fillet.  From there it goes on the super hot cast iron skillet.  Pre heated in the egg direct at gasket level to around 600 degrees.  If the cast iron isn't "smokin" hot when the fillet goes on, it will not blacken correctly.  And if you have a lot of fish to cook, you might have to wait between fillets to let the heat catch back up.  I find it great for "light" tasting fish like snapper,grouper,redfish...

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    The lodge website, www.lodge.mfg.com will give you dimensions on all their products.  As for the fish, I usually just lightly EVO the pan before use and shoot for 350 dome temp.  And Budgeezer is right, great for deep dish pizza.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• CeramicChef
    Options
    Anything Lodge makes for you to cook in is going to be a wonderful experience. Make absolutely certain you properly season your skillet with flaxseed oil before you use it! Then season it often and you'll have the best nonstick cooking surface you can find.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @necessayindulg just bought one of these I think, maybe she will chime in. 
    The dimensions are shown as 18" which will fit the LBGE. 
    As for the blackened fish, not sure why you would want to do this on the egg. My limited experience, maybe 1/2 dozen cooks of blackened fish, involves melted butter dip, dredge thru spices, into a hot buttered skillet. Maybe two minutes a side. Requires constant attention to ensure blackened does not become burned. Can't imagine doing this over a dome up egg. 
    CI skillet is great for deep dish pizza and my personal favourite, Au Gratin potatoes. 

Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    I use one all the time and it works great.  You should have no problem.  Get it HOT !!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    As for the blackened fish, not sure why you would want to do this on the egg. My limited experience, maybe 1/2 dozen cooks of blackened fish, involves melted butter dip, dredge thru spices, into a hot buttered skillet. Maybe two minutes a side. Requires constant attention to ensure blackened does not become burned. Can't imagine doing this over a dome up egg. 
    CI skillet is great for deep dish pizza and my personal favourite, Au Gratin potatoes. 

Good luck!
    have never done it, but wouldnt it smoke out the kitchen to do it indoors. in the egg you could heat up the pan, open the dome and shut the lower vent so the flames dont take over and blacken away i would think, thats how i cook with the wok, dome open lower vent shut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    my only preseasoned lodge was a nightmare to use, dont know if it was defective but the seasoning was forever peeling til i eventually ground it off, its much better now. i seem to be the only one that had problems with it, my older lodges that i seasoned myself have been great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    If you want to blacken fish -- you better be somewhere that the smoke isn't gonna bother!!  The idea is to have the cast iron so hot that it is going to sear the seasoning onto the fish fillet.  The butter is going to burn off in CLOUDS of white smoke.  During this quick burn the fillet will cook halfway thru(supposidly) -- then flip it and hope the cast iron still has enough heat in it to BURN those seasonings into the other side of the fillet.  So your ready to start and the cast iron is inside the egg -- burning hot!!  Open the egg and drop the fillet on the hot cast iron -- smoke starts bellowing out -- close the lid -- open vent is blowing white smoke.  Depending on the thickness of the fillet -- birp the egg and open the lid -- flip the fillet.  Close the lid and when you think it is coooked -- open and remove the fillet.  Close the lid and get the cast iron hot for the next fillet..  Something like that !!  You're neighbors may stop by because of the smoke!!! 
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    I use cast iron in my Egg all the time.

Notably, I have the same skillet that I cut most of the handle off and use as a permanent drip pan. After a cook I clean it out with a putty knife and it's ready to catch the juice from the next rack of ribs.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Use my lodge in egg all the time for pizza or sauteeing veggies. No need to cut off the handle.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Season it in the oven first.   Rub down with Crisco or vegatable oil.   Put in the oven at 250-300 for a couple of hours.   Let it cool, do it again.

Never wash a seasoned skillet with brillow pads.  If you have to use soap and water, do a light reseasoning.  Seasoned properly - wipe it out after use is all.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    my only preseasoned lodge was a nightmare to use, dont know if it was defective but the seasoning was forever peeling til i eventually ground it off, its much better now. i seem to be the only one that had problems with it, my older lodges that i seasoned myself have been great
    I usually think of "seasoning" as a layer of oil cooked into the surface of the iron.   That sounds more like some type of "coating".  Never saw seasoning peel off - seen it get washed away.
    Cookin in Texas
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    If you go to flea markets, try to find an old skillet there. I really dislike the bumpy seasoning on newer lodge skillets. An old one can be restored relatively easily. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I use a 10 inch Lodge on my XL egg with plenty of real estate to spare. Season as others have said and you'll ne golden. I did the Crisco method. That's what my grandma taught me and she was the best cook on the planet. IMHO.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've done a lot of blackening (some not on purpose ;) ) and I find the best cookware to be a cast iron griddle.  I have a big Lodge - it's smooth, almost no lip.  Lots of real estate to cook several fillets, or if you have trouble with refractory time, cook on one side while the other is heating up and switch.  Delicate fish needs a spatula that supports the whole fillet, and it's difficult to slide in a big spatula in a frying pan without damaging the crust.
    Options

I've done a lot of blackening (some not on purpose ;) ) and I find the best cookware to be a cast iron griddle.  I have a big Lodge - it's smooth, almost no lip.  Lots of real estate to cook several fillets, or if you have trouble with refractory time, cook on one side while the other is heating up and switch.  Delicate fish needs a spatula that supports the whole fillet, and it's difficult to slide in a big spatula in a frying pan without damaging the crust.

This is exactly why I bought 2 Griswolds. I have a rectangular 2-burner griddle and a 11.75 inch round. I use them almost exclusively for breakfast and blackening. Usually not the other way around. SWMBO doesn't like "cajun" pancakes.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use my enameled cast iron for blackening. You can get le crueset enameled skillets for pretty cheap on eBay. I have a collection of Griswold and Wagner skillets and griddles and they work well also but the enameled never sticks and cleans easier and will still blacken good.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have an enameled cast iron skillet but i would be afraid to use it for blackening because of the extream heat it gets exposed to??  I thought the enamel might pop off ??
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

Good luck!
    have never done it, but wouldnt it smoke out the kitchen to do it indoors. in the egg you could heat up the pan, open the dome and shut the lower vent so the flames dont take over and blacken away i would think, thats how i cook with the wok, dome open lower vent shut
    Understand completely, but prefer not to use the egg for a four minute cook. I use my propane powered burner, same one I use for the wok, more heat than the egg and it is ready to "blacken" in less than 3 or 4 minutes. 
    In the house, our 680 cfm cyclone vent looks after the smoke, but since SWMBO bought the glass topped range, I cook outside. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have used mine on my mini pretty much sitting on the coals and it has been fine.