Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harbor Freight propane torch

Options
I just got one and have a question :
Does it matter if you leave it attached to the propane tank (everything turned off) when not in use?
-TIA

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    While the torch is still burning I turn the tank off and let all gas burn out of the line. When the torch burns out I turn the torch dial off and leave it attached.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    ^^^^^Well said !!
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks!  What's the benefit of getting the gas out of the line? Keeps it dry?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Albeit on the low side of the regulator, most propane appliances advise to turn off the tank then the control dial. Ensures no "pressure" and gas in the line that could ignite unexpectedly and helps with condensation. (The dude at my tank refill "palace" advises me of this every time I visit.)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I just don't like it in there because its gas and I don't like it in there. :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have one of these.  I just turn off the valve and leave the tank on when I'm done lighting the lump.  The manual says to remove the tank when not in use.  I did have a tank leak dry on me once, didn't tighten the valve closed, I suppose.

91061 Electric Start Propane Torch
    Options
    Ya'll rock! Thanks again.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i just shut the torch off and then the tank, never thought to do it the other way around. mines been outside for 10 years sun rain ice and snow, it looks to be falling apart but still works
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    i just shut the torch off and then the tank, never thought to do it the other way around. mines been outside for 10 years sun rain ice and snow, it looks to be falling apart but still works
    :D
    Wow! Where do you live?  For some reason I thought you were in Fla.  I'm in NC mountains.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    north of boston, theres a couple feet of snow on it right now. its worth every penny of the 19 dollars i paid for it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I always turn the tank off, let the propane burn out of the line/hose then turn the torch regulator off. 

I do this for 2 reasons - the hose of the torch is less floppy and easier to coil when its empty, and secondly if the tank is still open, any leaks in the connections or line can cause the propane to leak into the garage. It seems like a safety hazard. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I leave mine attached... I turn off the tank before I shut off the torch... let the gas in the line burn a few final seconds.  Don't have to... just do.  Then I turn off the valve on the torch.  Only disconnect the torch when I use the tank for my Big Easy infrared turkey "fryer."   
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I'm misunderstanding something here; "turn off the tank" vs. "turn off the torch".  I remove the torch from the tank; I can turn off the torch while leaving it on the tank.
    My dad religiously told me to remove the torch from the tank every time, but then he also showed me how to sharpen an Xacto #11 blade on 60-grit sandpaper (it doesn't work)... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I got mine at Harbour Freight also. I turn mine off at the torch, then at the tank, and leave it attached. I added one wrap of pipe tape as a extra seal between tank and torch. The whole thing is inside an aluminum truck tool box where l store everything from lump to smoking wood and plate setter. I will start turning off at the tank first to get that gas out of the line. Thanks for the tip.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Has anyone else used their torch to turn a wasp int a meteorite?   :D

(Watch out for overhead branches and roof overhangs)