Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT - Keltec Pistols

Like I said way off topic but I know there are quite a few firearms folks here.  I have quite a bit of experience with Glock, Smith & Wesson, and Ruger but none with Keltec but I saw a PF9 today and I think it would be a great size for concealed carry.  Does anyone here have experience with Keltec?  Good or bad I'd like your input, there are plenty of internet reviews but I trust you folks with what I eat so why not with what I shoot?

Thanks.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ccw to me is about the holster. I'm fairly small but carry a HK P30 with no problem. 15+1 capacity.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I have heard and read that the PF9 is a great carry weapon. Do a search for a PF9 forum on the web, I bet there are a bunch. I just got me an M&P Shield and its shoots great.
  • I carry a Sig Sauer P238 and love it.  I can put it in my front pants pocket, and not even notice it's there.  It's a .380 as opposed to a 9mm on the PF9, but I reload with hollow points, so that is an equalizer.

Here is a video.  These folks are very biased against the PF9 because of reliability.  Anyway, take a look at the Sig Sauer if you haven't bought yet.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• henapple
    What is the capacity?
  • Capacity on the Sig is 6+1

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Ruger lc9 crimson trace 7+1. If I'm wearing more ill carry a sigma series 9mm 16+1.

Keltec is a great brand.

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    The only Keltec I have is a P32 I bought for the wife. It is pants pocket small and seems to be good weapon. A lot of the police officers use it in ankle holsters.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Beretta nano is worth a look in 9mm. But don't expect to shoot cheap 115gr without some fte. 124gr is fine.
  • I have a PF9.  Great pistol for the money.  I have run about 1000 rounds through it with no  problems.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • henapple

Capacity on the Sig is 6+1

Mine is 15+1...mine is bigger than yours.
  • I also have a Glock 19,  9mm which has a 17+1 capacity, but it's not my carry around.  It's too big for my front pocket.  All the girls think I'm happy to see them.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    I also have a Glock 19,  9mm which has a 17+1 capacity, but it's not my carry around.  It's too big for my front pocket.  All the girls think I'm happy to see them.   :))
    And....are they wrong?????
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I carry a baby glock 357 sig . Fits nice in my waist band. @Hokie Smoker have you looked at diamond back pistols?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Kosko said:
    I carry a baby glock 357 sig . Fits nice in my waist band. @Hokie Smoker have you looked at diamond back pistols?

I haven't looked at diamond back but will check them out.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Belmont, NC

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Keltec's reputation is not the greatest (not the same league as Glock for instance), but far from the worst.  I've only fired a few rounds through them.  They're definitely [pocket] carry guns, not fun target shooting guns.  If you get one, just run enough of the ammo you plan to use in it through it such that you're confident it'll feed and function reliably.  If you want a gun that's more comfortable to shoot and less of a concern of "will it work?", look at Glock, S&W M&P, Sig, or Springfield XD.  The new XD-S for instance is pretty sweet...though probably around 2-3x the price of a Keltec.

Diamondback is another FL gun maker (HQ not far from Keltec IIRC), but also has a reputation for spotty reliability.  If you live close enough that you can drive you gun in for service, I'd consider them.  Otherwise, probably not.  Shipping guns back and forth for service/repair is kind of expensive.

Standard capacity for the G19 is 15+1.  17+1 would require +2 mags or G17 mags, either of which would extend beyond the bottom of the grip.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I went in to buy the keltec, but was talked out of it by a friend who runs my local gun shop. I looked at the Diamondback, but there is pending litigation against them for copyright and patent infringement, because they are so much like Glocks. So, you never know if they'll be around if a warranty claim is needed. I Went with the Ruger LCP, .380, for concealed carry, and I love it. It fits in my shorts pockets and is small/light enough to even carry without a belt. Fairly comfortable, and accurate enough for a small handgun. Best part is it field strips almost as quickly as my Glocks and has never jammed or misfired. Very reliable, small weapon. I say at least check them out. Remember, find something you'll really carry with any outfit you wear, regardless of magazine capacity. As the saying goes, the best gun to carry is the one you'll have on you when you need it.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I have the Ruger LCP.....380.....I use Buffalo Bore ammo....great carry pistol.
  • I bought a Ruger LCP .380 and traded it back in for a Sig Sauer because the LCP is double action. I felt that having to pull the trigger to get the hammer full **** caused a slight inaccuracy in firing.  I liked the single action Sig because the slightest squeeze on the trigger causes the pistol to fire.
    Probably not noticeable in a gunfight, but it was bothersome (to me) on the range.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The LCP gets a lot of nods because it is a well made pistol. I'm leaning towards one myself, Keltec is interesting as well as the Bersa Thunderbolt but I've had Ruger pistols since I was a kid. I think I'll go with a more established manufacturer. I've got a Gock 22, Glock 27 & S&W M&P but want something smaller to carry in the front pocket of my shorts this summer.

Belmont, NC

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Another vote for the LCP here. There are some great holsters available for this gun, and it's great little piece to slip in your pocket.

Also have a Beretta Bobcat 21A in  22lr  inox with wood grips ...obviously not the same as a .380, but it's still a neat little pocket gun.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013

The long trigger on that PF9 is ridiculous.

If/when IL and C(r)ook County allow CC, I will be in line for an XDs single stack .45 "bulldog"

Enjoy my Compact XDm in 9mm which is similar to the Glock 19.  Like VI, subcompacts are best for CC.  

If I have to carry less rounds, might as well make them count with a .45ACP. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmr8iZyeXw

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I got a Glock 26 for my wife, it is small enough to fit in my pocket it's a 9mm 10+1
    I've been using it as my CC.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • 1911.  doesn't get any more American than that.  I trust my life with it, and I also haven't found anything that beats the trigger feel of a 1911.  whatever your taste is, I think .45 ACP is the way to go.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Kinda difficult to conceal the 1911 wearing just shorts and a T-shirt in the summer..."the .380 in your pocket is usually better than the 1911 you left at home". I have a 1911 also, but find it to heavy to conceal in the summer.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Kimber Ultra RCP II, Very Compact and easy to draw. Have a Sig P239 but that is my sleeping pistol.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapple
    I have the lcp with ct. To me, on this gun the ct is more of a novelty. This pistol probably isn't going to be used at a distance.but that's me. While concealable the small capaciity and it being a .380 bother me. I carry a hkp30 in a Desbien holster...very concealable even in shorts and I'm only 5'9'and about 180lbs. Ok, ok...190lbs. A good pistol belt and holster will really help in hiding and being comfortable.

Check out desbien holsters. Use the egg code and buy one get one free...order now and they'll throw in 1000 rounds of ammo.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have shot the PF9 and much prefer my Kahr PM9 over the Kel-Tec.  Like others have said, it's not bad for the money.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    This tells it all.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.