Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon less ABT ideas?

rholt
rholt Posts: 392
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I am wondering If anyone knows a good recipe for ABTs without the bacon wrap. My dad doesn't eat pork but I don't want him left out during the Super Bowl feast. Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    you could go turkey bacon, or maybe just shrimp stuffed with a creole seasoning and creamcheese
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Turkey bacon??

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Probably a little late now :)...but when I make ABT's I usually leave a few unwrapped.  They are actually quite good.  Just fill them with cream cheese and a little cheddar if you want it meatless; or you could always add a little browned chicken or turkey sausage.   They may not need to cook as long.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    +1 on leaving some unwrapped. A little harder to cook, but doable. For a veggie version, we did some stuffed mushroom caps, no bacon no sausage. Not ABT, still good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188

Whenever I make ABTs my wife requests some without bacon or cream cheese.  I've never had a problem cooking this up this way.  I suppose it helps that I always have a good marinade on the meat.

• fishlessman
    theres also blueberry peach abts with sugar added to the cream cheese topping, nothing sweet about these as the peach soaks up the heat from the pepper extremely well, they are hotter than a regular abt

:D
    fukahwee maine

• theres also blueberry peach abts with sugar added to the cream cheese topping, nothing sweet about these as the peach soaks up the heat from the pepper extremely well, they are hotter than a regular abt

Hey, that's a cool idea. Am always looking for something sweet to go with the BBQ on the grill. Guessing by the picture, you stick a peach inside, top with some berries and then cover with sweetened cream cheese? Anything else to know?

• Back to the original question, +1 on the turkey bacon. I also have a non-pork eating friend and have done this. It isn't quite the same, but similar flavor and texture and you can't tell the difference from across the room 
  • rholt
    Thanks for all the replys. I will do the turkey ABTs with a beef little smokey and post how they turn out.
  • Sometimes I buy beef bacon and it is very good.
  • rholt
    Never heard of beef bacon. Where do you get it?
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    theres also blueberry peach abts with sugar added to the cream cheese topping, nothing sweet about these as the peach soaks up the heat from the pepper extremely well, they are hotter than a regular abt

:D
    Can you post the recipe for these, fishless? This sounds pretty good!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I was thinking beef bacon too. I've gotten an uncured variety at trader joe's and it was VERY good. It's not BACON bacon good, but it's good.

B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I was thinking beef bacon too. I've gotten an uncured variety at trader joe's and it was VERY good. It's not BACON bacon good, but it's good.

B_B

NOTHING is bacon good. Sometimes after bacon I have to eat bacon wrapped bacon to experience the same satisfaction. That's how powerful bacon is. Lets us pray.
    Boom
  • rholt said:
    . Any ideas welcome.
    I would add bacon, jk

I do them with out bacon for a few family members as well, I have gone the whole facon gamit an the best results, other than with bacon is just leave the bacon off and cook a little less 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • fishlessman
    seanwiley said:

Hey, that's a cool idea. Am always looking for something sweet to go with the BBQ on the grill. Guessing by the picture, you stick a peach inside, top with some berries and then cover with sweetened cream cheese? Anything else to know?

thats it, and its hotter than you would think, the peach juices seem to really take on the heat. its pretty hard to screw up an abt, i even made some with vidallai onion wedges and cheese that were great
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Try lamb bacon.

I didn't get to try them, but the lady next to me (forget her name, Hornhonk's sister) was making japs stuffed with cookie dough at  Plano this year.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

Try lamb bacon.

I didn't get to try them, but the lady next to me (forget her name, Hornhonk's sister) was making japs stuffed with cookie dough at  Plano this year.

I was there and tried those. They were pretty good and appeared real simple. My feeling was that they were missing just a little something to make them great though. Maybe bacon :-) Or maybe some sweetened cream cheese would act like an icing
  • rholt said:
    Never heard of beef bacon. Where do you get it?
    I buy it a Kroger.  I can't remember the brand.  I looked and there is none in my fridge at the moment. 
  • rholt
    I think my dad would be just fine with a little smokey tucked in there and not worry with the turkey bacon business. I talked to a guy at work who said the turkey bacon is not worth all of the effort. Thanks again for all the replies.