Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best brisket sauce??

i'm cooking another brisket next weekend and thought i'd get some suggestions on some sauce to go w/ the brisket.  Any ideas?

Comments

• My go to sauce is a 50 / 50 mix of Blues Hog original and Sonny's Sweet.  Everyone who has had this sauce have raved about how good it is.  But everyone has different taste.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • We like Sweet Baby Ray and I squally miss some of the brisket drippings to the bottled sauce. Works great.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I use a basic stroganoff sauce; 1-1/2 cups beef broth, 1 Tbs butter, 2 Tbs ketchup, clove of garlic minced and flour to thicken.
    I substitute any BBQ sauce in the fridge for the ketchup or catsup depending on where you are from and add some brisket drippings. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I've had several Texans tell me this is the best BBQ sauce they ever ett.

Recipe by Bill Cannon, owner of Texas BBQ Rub

Ingredients:

1 28 oz. bottle Hunt's Ketchup

1 19 oz. bottle Jack Daniel's Honey Smokehouse BBQ Sauce

1 can Rotel, Mexican Lime & Cilantro

1 medium Onion , chopped

2 tablespoons Garlic, minced

2 cups Brown sugar, or 1 c Splenda Brown 

1/2 cup Texas BBQ Rub

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons Mustard, Yellow prepared

1/4 cup Chili powder

1/2 cup Pineapple juice

2 bottles Water, from Empty ketchup bottle

1 can Water, from empty Rotel can

1 bottle Water, from empty BBQ sauce bottle

Directions:

1. Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel and chili powder in a large pot.  Start cooking on the stove at medium temp.  Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way).  Stir in garlic and brown sugar .  Stir in the rub.  Add the chopped onion, worchestershire sauce, and mustard.  Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.  Add pineapple juice.  Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better).  I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.

2. Serve as a side dish for those who ask for it.  Use it in the brisket recipe.

3. Makes about 4 quarts.  You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve.  Keeps for days in the frig.

4. For BBQ sauce for pork, delete the Rotel and put in 1 can of Peach Nectar. 

Notes:

Texas BBQ rub can be bought from: http://texasbbqrub.com

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    My preference is no sauce at all just a couple nice slices of brisket on a flour totilla with a little fresh pico de gallo.  Let the smoke and the meat speak for itself.
  • Good brisket doesn't need sauce
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Good brisket doesn't need sauce
    Amen!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • That is true.  Also, beef tenderloin doesn't need red wine sauce, shrimp jalapeno rumaki doesn't need  Szechuan sauce and baked chicken doesn't need orange chipotle sauce.  But, they all bring a delightful addition to the meat if done right.

Most people would yield to Texas for being the epicenter of brisket bbq, and I will tell you that most bbq joints offer sauce.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• That is true.  Also, beef tenderloin doesn't need red wine sauce, shrimp jalapeno rumaki doesn't need  Szechuan sauce and baked chicken doesn't need orange chipotle sauce.  But, they all bring a delightful addition to the meat if done right.

Most people would yield to Texas for being the epicenter of brisket bbq, and I will tell you that most bbq joints offer sauce.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yeah, what he said. I love sauce on my brisket. I love it without too but if I eat a sammy, I'm saucing it. making one tonight and I'm making sauce to go with it. I eat sauce on Franklin's too (but i always eat some without as well). 

Mine is easy and it's good.

I just do ketchup, mustard. Woooooster (I hate spelling the freaking word), a ton of dizzy dust and a coffee porter beer. I don't measure (other than the beer, it's 12 oz) :)

Commercial sauces can be ok. I would just stay away from any "hickory" or "mesquite" flavored sauces. You don't want liquid smoke on your Q that you slaved over for 24 hours to get the perfect real smoke flavor on. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

I don't make a sauce when I cook brisket.  I discovered on my second brisket cook that the BBQ Baked Beans (BGE Cookbok pg. 156) go great with the brisket.  I find when the beans and brisket are on the same plate the beans add just enough sauce to add a littlle more moisture and flavor to the brisket.

My wife uses the leftover brisket to make French Dip sandwhiches with hard rolls and som au jus made from beef buillon.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • My go to sauce is a 50 / 50 mix of Blues Hog original and Sonny's Sweet.  Everyone who has had this sauce have raved about how good it is.  But everyone has different taste.

I really like a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Tenessee & their original !!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Usually around 16 beers gets me pretty...sauced...oh, bbq. 50/50 Stubb's and honey.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am sure you meant "Best Brisket Rub"!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lwrehm said:
    My preference is no sauce at all just a couple nice slices of brisket on a flour totilla with a little fresh pico de gallo.  Let the smoke and the meat speak for itself.
    That is just good eating right there!

• DubfromGA said:
    My go to sauce is a 50 / 50 mix of Blues Hog original and Sonny's Sweet.  Everyone who has had this sauce have raved about how good it is.  But everyone has different taste.

I really like a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Tenessee & their original !!!
    That's my second.