Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Penzey's Spices

Anything on the Penzey's line you can recommend for chicken, ribs or Boston butt? I always loved the Pakistani crushed red pepper to put on pizza. Looking for something appropriate for the Egg.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Don't normally buy there but they have great choices. Get their catalogue.  Lots of ideas.  I bought some Aleppo Pepper flakes from them recently.  Great for any crushed red pepper need.  I recently found out that Aleppo is unfortunately in Syria.  Think I had better stock up before the prices skyrocket.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Ooops ignore the google translate part but the site is www.epicesdecru.com

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013

Penzey's is the best for herbs & spices, my kitchen is full of them. When I'm not using texasbbqrub.com for rubs, I make my own rubs from Penzeys stuff.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Most of my spices are Penzey's.  I think they make great spices, and also, you can get small amounts, so you can use them before they go stale.

For chicken, they make a Poultry Seasoning.  Also, I like Southwest Seasoning.  Although I use that mostly in my Southwestern soup, the bottle says it's good on chicken for grilling.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    They have great stuff. Like Richard  Fl said their catalog is fun to read for some of the neat recipes they publish.

For roasting chicken we like Fox Point (salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorns)
    33rd and Galena is another good one.

They offer salt free rubs which is nice if you are on a low sodium diet like myself.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Thanks to @Brownie, tried their English Prime Rib - it has become the family favorite. Last order of Chicago Steak spice, tried their Ozark Style Seasoning - "A modern version of a classic Southern blend". Not knowing a classic Southern blend if I fell over it, we really like this. Best rub we've used on spatched birds. 
    Used it on chicken and pork chops. Very good, rather unique from my perspective. 
    Contains - Salt, tellicherry black pepper, garlic, thyme, sage, paprika, mustard, ancho, celery, cayenne, dill weed, caraway, allspice, ginger, cardamon, bay leaf, mace, cassia, savory, cloves.

Ok - so other than cumin, oregano and marjoram - that is pretty much most of my spice cabinet. 
    Will be ordering more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I especially like the Galena Street Chicken Rub. And the Chicago Steak Rub. Their Mitchell Street Steak Rub is good as well and adds some good smokey flavor.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I was just introduced to them this Christmas when i got a sample box. I really like the Galena Street rub on chicken and ribs. The BBQ 3000 is also good on pork, chicken and veggies.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Store opened several months ago in the land of Kentucky Jelly-I like their jerk chicken seasoning and the jerk pork is great as well.  Anyone have anything they would recommend on a brisket...I'm getting a bit more lazy and am in a transitional period, not making as many of my own rubs any more...And yes I know DP is out there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    lousubcap said:
    Anyone have anything they would recommend on a brisket...
    Texas BBQ Rub is the best there is.

Any of their rubs are great, but I tend to use their Grand Champion Rub. Tell Bill Cannon that Gary Willson sent you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• For chicken and fish we use, individually or a combination of, Penzey's Fox Point, Trinidad Lemon and Garlic, and Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave Chicken and Fish Seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic, lemon, onion). For ribs and Boston butt, I've been making my own rub for years because the store- boughts are just too peppery for me. If you have a Spice and Tea Exchange nearby, I strongly recommend their Florida Sunshine spice blend. It comes in a grinder and has sea salt, orange-lemon-lime zest, ginger root, green peppercorns, and rose petals. I frequently add it to my Penzey's blends on our chicken and fish.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @V I-thanks-will give them a go-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    You should call this Forum Eggipedia... Thanks for the great suggestions, gonna order a catalog.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited January 2013
    Been using Penzy's for about 6-8 years now. They cost a bit more, but I feel their offerings are very high quality.

We get stuff online, and from a B&M store when we go visit family. I find I spend more when actually in the store.

As mentioned, the poultry seasoning is good. Also a big fan of Ozark seasoning(on chicken and scrambled eggs too), as well as a few other of their blends that I can't recall right now....I'm getting a bad case of CRS!
  • Just went and checked out penzeys in Houston. Really cool store and I found the pricing wasn't to far off from other premium brands.
  • Arbucklej said:
    Just went and checked out penzeys in Houston. Really cool store and I found the pricing wasn't to far off from other premium brands.
    19th St.  Those are two very nice ladies that work there.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Penzeys has really good stuff, but you can also look at The Spice House if you are in the Milwaukee or Chicago areas.  I'm not sure if they do mail order though.  The Spice House is run by the sister of the guy that runs Penzeys.  I know I am lucky as hell having both The Spice House and Penzeys close to home...heck Penzeys main facility is about 5 minutes from my office so I visit often.
  • Living in the Milwaukee area, I easily get to go Penzey's. I like their Chili 3000 seasoning for chili. Thee Fajita seasoning is great. Cajun is good. I really like their Northwoods, a little smokey with a kick. Not to mention their great selections of dried peppers and chilis and the rest of their spices and herbs. It really is. Great place.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Arizona Dreaming for Chicken
    Chicago Street for steaks
    Chilli 300 is good in chili
    Pizza seasoning is good
    Their new Rasberry sauce is great on pork chops

Garnerville, NY