Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice

2»

Comments

• I'm with CT

then god help you
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Angelina welcome to the cult I am also from NC just right up 321 in Lenoir. Any advice you need will be here on this forum, just ask these members they are very helpful. Good Luck
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    lousubcap said:

You can spend the cook chasing temperature (remember the fire is responding to air flow changes so the feedback loop has quite a delay time). Read all you really need to know here-

Best basic info site going- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the journey!  
    If you only take one thing from the previous post let it be not to be too concerned with dead on temps.  It all boils down to the internal temp and if it takes 15 minutes more or less in a cook that takes several hours it is no biggy one way or the other.

Gerhard
  • Cooked the other half of the wings I had marinated today on indirect. Much much better. I don't even think I would have needed to toss them in sauce afterwards. They were great.

Going to cook a pork tenderloin tomorrow but I have been reading to soak for 12 hours in a Brine. Guess ill do that later. Was planning on putting it on about 10 in morning. Think that's enough time? The biggest issue right now is getting the temp regulated I guess it's trial and error oh also am soaking some apple chips overnight for pork
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    @Angelina-first-no need to soak wood chips or chunks for use in the BGE-won't hurt but no value-add either.  You can skip that step-Don't know how big your pork tenderloin is but I cook them raised grid direct at around 350*F on the dome to about 140*F-takes 25-35 mins depending on thickness.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Angelina said:
    Maybe too much beer!

You can never be too thin, have too much money or good BBQ, and you can never have too much beer!
  • Amen ceramic chef!
  • My daughter also tells me you can't be too blonde! But then she's a natural blonde who is a big time model with tons of money! But she always comes home for BBQ and drinks beer with me. Ahh, life is good!
  • Love the picture with the snow and buildings. Where is that at ? And did you cook all that food in the food blog? Like on those dates? If so I guess you use the egg quite often
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Every cook with be better than the last for a while. Be patient and learn from every cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Pork tenderloin is looking and seek king good. Put some apple chips. Have a steady 250-275 temp and its been on since noon. What temp should internal be ?
  • BBQ_Greg
    BBQ_Greg Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    As a newbie myself (from Gastonia now living in Pennsylvania my first cook was in blowing snow on, December 30, 2012) I'm finding the advice and guidance here to be very helpful.  Folks here really do want you to succeed and have fun.  I am also finding the egg to be as forgiving as folks are saying.  Today I turned my egg over to 4 guys with no eggsperience, handed them a printout of responses to a question I asked on the forum.  Four hours later they turned out 37 pounds of some of the best medium rare (I know, overcooked for some folks) prime rib ever cooked. 

My point is, enjoy the egg and let it do what it does so well.  No need to stress.