Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Effin Nomex.

Options
9 cooks in with Nomex. First pizza and whole thing burned off. BS. Platesetter legs up with leg in back center like normal. 550 degree dome. Warranty for Nomex?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    That sucks!  I replaced my gasket with the BGE high temp gasket a few months back...still holding up like a champ. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Haven't had a gasket for a year now. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    Options

If you're going to take the time to replace the gasket, put on a Rutland.  It will be the last one you'll ever have to install.  Love mine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Which nomex gasket did you use? Haven't had any issues with the High Q one....and have done several high temp cooks.
  • CeramicChef
    Options
    hapster said:
    Do like me and go with the never fail ceramic gasket. That sucks...

Hapster - where did you get your ceramic gasket? Mine is looking a little ragged and I'm thinking of replacing it come Spring. Thanks in advance.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    LOL

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• planenutz
    Options
    I lost my Nomex gasket tonight during it's second use.  The temperature wrapped all the way around the dial to 200 so it was quite hot.  This happened on the first of 4 pizzas and I just pulled all the Nomex off and kept cooking.  Not sure what I'm going to do next except I know I'm not putting the same stuff back on.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I was bare backing for a while but teaching wife how to use egg and wanted the padding. This is a high que Nomex. Burned in the front center and back center. Calling High que to see what they say.
  • Chubbs
    Options

If you're going to take the time to replace the gasket, put on a Rutland.  It will be the last one you'll ever have to install.  Love mine.
    I was going to do this. Have a place in Columbia I can buy Rutland. They sell eggs and told me not to put it on my egg. Don't mean to start the age old gasket debate but that is why I went with Nomex.
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    I had a nomex but it became stiff and leaked smoke like crazy. Just replaced with the Rutland gasket. Works great.
    Opelika, AL
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks @brownbw. Now that wife is using egg some I want a gasket. Trying to decide between Rutland or new BGE. Guess Rutland will get the nod.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options

hapster said:

Do like me and go with the never fail ceramic gasket.

That sucks...

Hapster - where did you get your ceramic gasket? Mine is looking a little ragged and I'm thinking of replacing it come Spring. Thanks in advance.

Haha
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    Three choices

1.  Put on a Rutland once and be done

2.  go gasketless

3. Keep a bucket full of gaskets around , and just plan on replacing if you get the heat above 450.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I fairly certain they are made from the exact same material as the egg as well
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm having trouble removing the old ceramic gasket so that I can replace it with a new one.
    ;)
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Gezr said:

I'm having trouble removing the old ceramic gasket so that I can replace it with a new one.
    ;)

I used a sawzall.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I second the Rutland option. Put one on mine last summer. Did a lot of pizza cooks afterwards, including one that got away from me and went nuclear. Gasket still looks like the day I installed it.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I recently installed a nomex from BGE and have done 3 pizza cooks (500*-700*) with out any incidence. I only did 1 short low and slow before my first pizza cook.

Maybe there is a difference in quality between brands?

The Rutland route seems to have a lot of happy customers.

@Botch has a neat gasket that seems low maintenance too as an alternate option.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    There is no question Rutland makes a great high heat gasket, both my EPA certified wood stoves have them. The question with Rutland has always been if it is safe to use around food. The Naked Whiz had quite a write up regarding Rutland not certifying their product for/near food. 
    If you are willing to take what might be an unknown risk, and do not like replacing BGE or Nomex gaskets, buy a Rutland. 
    None of the other ceramic cookers approve Rutland, but like BGE it may not be in their best interest. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Just got off the phone with High-Que. They are sending me a new Nomex as they said they stand by their product. He said if the dollar bill test worked with even drag around the egg and none of the  gasket was hanging over the lip of the ceramic then it is possible it was defective. I am sure it was operator error in some way shape or form although I applied slowly to make sure it was on there properly with no overhang. At any rate, great customer service and a new gasket on the way from high-que.