Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife doesn't like the egg because she doesn't like the smoke flavor.

leo123
leo123 Posts: 101
Any suggestion's on a recipe that might sway her thinking?

I have used chips in the past to enhance the smoking flavor, which I like and everyone else seem's to love. I have also used no chips just charcoal and she still isn't happy with the egg.
  Everything that is cooked on the egg comes out moist and tender, but I seem to have a finicky and picky wife.

So what I think that I am really asking.
   Does anyone out there know of any great divorce Lawyers?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Use a neutral smelling lump and let the fire go long enough for the smoke turn clear. If the smoke isn't clear it will impart an acrid nasty smoke taste.

I use Wicked Good and I dont get much of a smoke flavor. However, I used to use mesquite lump so I am not the best no smoke judge.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    + 1 on the Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump being "very smoke neutral".   If your recent grilling experience is with a gasser then things will taste different cooked over lump, regardless of brand or if you add wood smoke chips/chunks or not.  If SWMBO (forum term for wife :) ) still has issues, then just cook up some of her favorite foods on the BGE-sit-back and enjoy the cook and follow-on consumption.  She may find the lawyer for you-or come around to your side of the equation-you can decide the "victor"!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cook hotter. The smoke flavor is lees intense on hot cooks so try a steak done at 500-600 and keep a close eye on it to make sure you don't overcook it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I have the same situation, wifey isn't too keen on the smoke. As BYS1981 suggested go with the Wicked Good. In my opinion it is very neutral.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • leo123
      Thanks for the tips.
      First time posting, Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking that my wife may be jealous because I have been spending more time with the egg than with her. (don't know how to do the smiley face)

Her birthday is coming up so maybe I'll buy her a couple of bags of Wicked good.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    People bake pies and stuff on the egg. Are you waiting til your smoke is clear. I'll take it off your hands if you need to get rid of it....the egg I mean

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    edited January 2013
    @leo123 one of my sisters calls my and daughter the "Egg Widow" and "Egg Orphan"

:)
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Have her hang out next to Egg while you are cooking the next meal, I think when you smell the smoke it desensitizes your taste buds to the smoke flavour.  When I do pork chops I don't taste much of a smoke flavour but if I take a left over chop for lunch I can definitely taste the smoke.

Gerhard
  • leo123
    First time posting was doing a bit of tongue and cheek, really didn't know what would be the results.

But I'm glad i did. You guys and galls are great. This is so much fun.

I have received allot of great advice on the subject.  I maybe should buy a different type of charcoal or cook for a girlfriend.

I'm kind of thinking that it may take allot of work and doing allot of research to come up with the best type of charcoal to use.

So to make it easy for myself and everyone out there that is giving me advice. I may need a girlfriend.

( I mentioned before that I don't know how to make the smiley face)
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    My wife dosen't like alot of smoke either. I use Wicked Good or BGE lump and she loves everything that comes of the egg. Like others have said just make sure the bad smoke is gone before you start cooking.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I had the same situation. I now let my royal oak lump burn an hour before any food goes on. It may defeat the purpose, but I cook most things indirect (with the plate setter) which stops food from dripping and therefore causing more smoke.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I'm thinking a new wife to go with the new Egg! LOL!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Maybe light up less lump in the egg and try to get it all lit before cooking so it burns cleaner. The other thing to try is cooking something on the egg then "finishing" it on the gasser so that it looks like it came off the gasser. If she says it tastes good, you can tell her how you really cooked it - that its not the egg that is the issue.

Otherwise trade it in... The wife I mean :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    @leo123

( I mentioned before that I don't know how to make the smiley face)
    In the comment box on top far right click the smiley face icon
    :) and a bunch of yellow heads pop up.
  • I hope you signed a pre-nup.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    My wife doesn't like my a$& because of the smells that come out of it, but that has never stopped me from blasting off.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Wrap her portion in foil?

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I had same problem at first. Turns out I was putting the food on the grill before all the nasty smoke had cleared.  SOLUTION: make sure you let new charcoal burn for a good 35-40 minutes before putting the food on.  You can waft your hand over the top of the egg while it burns - if it smells too smoky or has a white/blue color - than wait longer.  What you smell is what you taste.  

Or you can just sell your egg to me!!!  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Bake her some cookies in the egg, make sure you let the fire burn for awhile before you put the food in
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    IrishDevl said:

My wife doesn't like my a$& because of the smells that come out of it, but that has never stopped me from blasting off.

When my 11 month old busts a$$. My wife just looks at me and says "That was your genes". I reply: "What have you been feeding her?" since she's breastfed.

Couch time!
  • IrishDevl
    Always blame the woman.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Cook a chicken at 400-450 indirect, get it hot less smoke. Let the egg warm and stable for at least 30-40 minutes. Don't use any smoke wood and a neutral lump, 

Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • leo123
    thanks guys... great advice.

I may have to keep my wife along with the egg after all.
  • IrishDevl
    leo123 said:

thanks guys... great advice.

I may have to keep my wife along with the egg after all.

Ya, I guess keep the wife - for now.
  • It's probably cheaper to keep the wife! In fact, after 2 divorces, I can tell you with 100% certainty that disposal costs are VERY high! It's a heckuva lot cheaper to rent than own! :)) :((
  • disposal costs!!!!!! hilarious
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX