Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Take some time to be with your family and the ones you love

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I heard some sad news today that makes me want to reevaluate what is important in life.  A coworker of mine took his own life yesterday.  Why, I don't know.  He was in physical pain, I was told.  But that doesn't explain everything.  It's not like he and I were close friends or anything.  Just a friendly acquaintance, that you'd run into in the hallway and have a short pleasant conversation with.  I knew he had a wife and two girls.  But I wasn't close enough to him to know his day to day life.  He gave me advice about what school my girl should attend, because his daughter and mine are in the gifted school based programs; basically taking advanced classes in school.  He helped me decide cause he went through it himself.  So why he passed is not understood at this time.  I believe it was suicide though.  My point here is that I need to try and take more time and be even more a part of my daughter's lives.  I feel like I already am an active participating husband and father, but it's things like this that make you appreciate the friends and family that you have even more. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Cherish every minute
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • rustypotts
    Options
    You said he was in "physical pain"  do you know if he was on Oxycontin?  I have had 2 friends that committed suicide and they were both on the stuff.  This is so sad.  He sounds like he was a good guy.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chronic pain can lead to death. It can lead to depression and anxiety, making life unbearable. I hope he is in a better place, whatever happened.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Anyone who has never had chronic, severe pain has any idea what it is like.  It grinds on and on, and wears you down.  I get pretty worked up over our war on drugs "pill mill" campaigns.  For everyone that is denied the ability to abuse their own bodies with pain pills, there are plenty who need them to cope.

Thank God for the neurosurgeons at the Jewett Clinic in Orlando; three level anterior diskectomy with a titanium plate and cadaver bone fusion.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Options

Anyone who has never had chronic, severe pain has any idea what it is like.  It grinds on and on, and wears you down.  I get pretty worked up over our war on drugs "pill mill" campaigns.  For everyone that is denied the ability to abuse their own bodies with pain pills, there are plenty who need them to cope.

Thank God for the neurosurgeons at the Jewett Clinic in Orlando; three level anterior diskectomy with a titanium plate and cadaver bone fusion.

How did you mess your neck up?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Arthritis. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I'm glad you made it through that. Neck and back pain is the worst. There is no relief sometimes, lying, sitting or standing.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

Been there c5,c6,c7 fusion last May, and L5,S1 fusion December of 2011.  While i am better now, it is only a matter of time.  For about 2 1/2 years i lived with the pain, and it took a toll on my family life.  Even though i was the one in pain, i think it hurt my wife and daughter even more.  There was just nothing they could do to help.  I am glad that chapter is over even if it is temporary.  Cherish your family each and every day!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    You said he was in "physical pain"  do you know if he was on Oxycontin?  I have had 2 friends that committed suicide and they were both on the stuff.  This is so sad.  He sounds like he was a good guy.
    I have no idea what his pain was from. He never mentioned it to me. I know his boss got him a new chair to help and he appreciated it. The autopsy will bring out the truth. His wife isn't saying anything. I would think she is being questioned. He was just 48. Same age as me.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009