Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What i get for not reading the rules....

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Rules are like directions, you only read them when you need them.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Not if you are a man. They line the garbage.
  • I just went to your website...so nothing's new? Everything has a price then says usd after the price. Why would I want to pay 175 for a usd cutting board? :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Everybody simmah down.  The forum spoke on the unsolicited solicitation, he knows the rules, which were posted for his convenience and is cool with it.  Guy's trying to start a small business rather than work for the man.
    edited January 2013
    Welcome friend, this here is an addiction. Be prepaired to indulge. Its a journey, but you know all this. You have been eggin 15 yrs. =D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    If you're happy and you know it, thank your ex...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • chamlin
    chamlin Posts: 19
    Griffin said:

I think that is pretty cool that you bought one from Mr. Fisher himself in the parking lot.

Brisket is a tough creature to master. I've put out some decent ones over the years and quite a few that flopped. I wish I could cook them more, but life always seems to keep us to busy and we often can't find enough people to make doing one worthwhile. They just don't reheat like pork does. Try travistrick's brisket. Seems to get pretty good results, although I'm not speaking from experience. I haven't tried one yet. Damn, I'm a bit embarrassed now that I stop and think how long its been since I've done one.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1

Sorry for the rocky start, but welcome aboard. Post some cooks with pics and this will all quickly be forgotten.

@Griffin,  i am going to give the brisket another shot.  A few of you have tossed me some links to review.  The one thing that i have been told about the brisket is that so much of is about the actual cut of beef.  I dont know where all of you are located, but if anyone is familiar with the atlanta area, is there a decent butcher shop or other location that you would suggest?  Or, do you guys have decent luck with grocery store meat departments?  Perhaps im over thinking it.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I get my Briskets at Pattons Meat Market in Duluth, on Ptree Indl near Berkley Lake.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I get my briskets at Fergusons off 400 and hwy 369. That's up by exit 17 on 400 so probably 45 minute trip for you. You need to make sure you get a full brisket (packer) with the flat and point not just that flat. The packer is much more forgiving.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    chamlin, 
    One thing I have heard is that if a brisket doesn't feel tender to start with, it never will be. When purchasing, pick one up and see how flexible it is. If it starts to bend in half, you should be good to go.

The Cen-Tex Smoker seems to be one of the best brisket troubadours around these parts. He likes the brisket offerings at Whole Foods and Costco/Sams. I don't know if the membership stores have packers down in Ga; they don't up here in Maryland. It's more of the flat for corned beef crowd.
  • I'm glad to help whenever you are ready. Eggcelsior is correct on how to buy. If it's all stiff in the cryo, find one that is floppy. Just PM me or start a thread when you are ready. I'll walk you through There are several other really good brisket guys on here as well, so pick your poison and I'm sure any one of us will be more than happy to hook you up

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Welcome aboard.  Table on CL is nice, but I must say...my table didn't even cost that much.  Hope you sell a million, but I think you have it priced a lil high.  Just my opinion though.  

For the record, I didn't read the terms of service either. lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Welcome aboard.  Table on CL is nice, but I must say...my table didn't even cost that much.  Hope you sell a million, but I think you have it priced a lil high.  Just my opinion though.  

show him your table...............
  • Eggcelsior
    Please do. It's Sooper Dooper sweet.
  • cazzy
    edited January 2013

cazzy said:

Fine!! I hate slowing off! Ugh! :-|

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Eggcelsior
    Whatever dude.

Will the real Cazzy please stand up?

• chamlin
    Gotta be honest, i looked the first picture and laughed.  The next one, and apparently the real one, is extremely, nice.  Looks very well crafted.  Im not sure where it is located, and/or what the material is.  It appears to be cedar, but i cant really tell.  The large cedar table that has been commented on as being too high priced, i think that you may (or maybe not) need to factor in the local value of materials.  The cedar table with the trellis (not my thing), has a hard cost of $1100 in material.  There is only one place to get decent cedar and/or cypress around here and they know it.  Its a real pain.  The tables seem to be pretty competitively priced around here.  Ive sold 12 of them in the last 4 months.  

That said, your table is extremely nice.  Is it your design, or did you buy it from a commercial outfit?  Well done.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chad.
  • chamlin said:
     I dont know where all of you are located, but if anyone is familiar with the atlanta area, is there a decent butcher shop or other location that you would suggest?  
    The Costco I tried (Brookhaven) had only flats.  Publix and Kroger had only flats as well.  I ended up getting a whole brisket at the Dekalb Farmer's Market (which is nothing resembling a farmer's market, in case you haven't been there).  Their beef is CAB (Angus) and on the higher side ($5.50/lb for brisket if I remember correctly).  But they will cut you a brisket any way you want it--if you can get around the possible language barrier enough to communicate what you want exactly (they trimmed too much of the fat cap in my case).   That said, I myself would be interested in others' responses regarding a good place to get a more reasonably priced packer.  The OTP ones listed above sound good but a bit far for me.

The next place I intend to look is Oak Grove Market on Lavista. It's essentially a butcher shop with a diner inside.  I got a great pork shoulder there a couple of weeks ago.  I wish I would have looked at their beef while I was there--I have no idea about availability or pricing of Brisket.  Also, they do some BBQ each day with an XL egg, so that has to count for something!
  • cazzy
    edited January 2013
    chamlin said:

Gotta be honest, i looked the first picture and laughed.  The next one, and apparently the real one, is extremely, nice.  Looks very well crafted.  Im not sure where it is located, and/or what the material is.  It appears to be cedar, but i cant really tell.  The large cedar table that has been commented on as being too high priced, i think that you may (or maybe not) need to factor in the local value of materials.  The cedar table with the trellis (not my thing), has a hard cost of $1100 in material.  There is only one place to get decent cedar and/or cypress around here and they know it.  Its a real pain.  The tables seem to be pretty competitively priced around here.  Ive sold 12 of them in the last 4 months.  

That said, your table is extremely nice.  Is it your design, or did you buy it from a commercial outfit?  Well done.

Thanks for sharing,

Chad.
    That was the point! Lol

It has a redwood top and redwood underneath the eggs. Everything else is cedar. It was designed and built by a local woodnut in San Antonio.

Really happy you're selling them! :)

Here's a few more pics of my table:

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I live by Chamlin and my table cost $300 in cedar and its as basic as you can get. Factor in $50 in 3" deck screws and then stain and you would have to charge like $550 for my table to make it even slightly worth while to spend an afternoon making. image

• chamlin
    ok, for the laughs of the group....i initially got in trouble for showing up tables...now, all of you guys are showing off yours and i just want to talk about BBQ...

Only kidding.  At the end of the day, its whats in the egg, not what the egg sits on....right?  The rest is just showboating (which is important too!)

I actually need to get a picture of the egg that is sitting in the large cedar table i built.  It is an ORIGINAL green egg.  Someone please correct me, but i think it is made from clay or maybe porcelain?  Regardless, it is old as dirt, and still cooks one hell of a pork butt.  The owner replaced the insides, but other than that, it is all original.  I think ya'll would appreciate it.  Ill get a pic.

• cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

Fine!! I hate slowing off! Ugh! :-| Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

=)). Nice

• nolaegghead
    Chad, I'm into woodworking (not professionally, but for fun) and built a shop in my back yard.  Got any pics you'd care to share of your shop? 
    YES! Nola's manbearcave is awesome! Please do share so we can live vicariously through you!
  • chamlin
    I am currently living in an interim house (see earlier posts).  My shop can currently be described as 10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag.  I went from a 30'x30' shop to a 12x15 shop.  it has been painful to say the least.  I will dig up some pics of my old shop and toss them around.  Im looking at some new property that has room in the back for a two story shop.  That would be my dream.  
  • nolaegghead
    Before Katrina helped demolish my old shop, I was working in a 10 x 18 hot metal box - I know where you're coming from.  Now I have 600 square feet plus some mezzanine storage, but I still have to put a lot of effort into keeping an open floor space.  At least I have AC and heat now.
    duck_hunter Posts: 185
    edited January 2013

Gary on guitar, Mickey on tambourine One, Two, Three

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's singing Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbayah

Someone's laughing, Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's crying, Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Someone's sleeping, Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

You forgot the "someone's egging, Lord"
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • chamlin
    Hey guys, i have been doing pizzas on the egg for a few years, but i am growing tired of the task of getting the pizza from the prep surface to the stone itself.  A friend of mine says that he preps his on parchment paper.  Picks the whole damn thing up and leaves the parchment paper in the egg during cooking.  Has anyone had any luck with this?  Any suggestions?  I have always been successful at the transfer, but there has to be an easier way.

Appreciate your thoughts.
  • chamlin said:
    Hey guys, i have been doing pizzas on the egg for a few years, but i am growing tired of the task of getting the pizza from the prep surface to the stone itself.  A friend of mine says that he preps his on parchment paper.  Picks the whole damn thing up and leaves the parchment paper in the egg during cooking.  Has anyone had any luck with this?  Any suggestions?  I have always been successful at the transfer, but there has to be an easier way.

Appreciate your thoughts.
    That's exactly how I do it.  The only burning of the parchment is if you let it hang over the side.  I transport it on a cookie sheet, slide it on the stone with a corner of the paper, and do the reverse when cooked.  Works great for me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious