Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this Bacon talk....

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum

Got my pink salt in and grabbing a belly today for some homemade bacon. After curing, what temp do you bacon pros usually smoke bacon? I am worried about keeping the temp down for hot smoking less than 200. I cant imagine trying to keep it below 100 for cold smoking. Please help me understand.

I have seen posts about Amaze-N-Smoker or whatever. Is that needed?

Thanks in advance...

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You and me both brother.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I put my belly in the fridge this morning to cure for a week.  I recently got the Amazing Smoker, and it has gone out on me shortly after lighting both times I've tried it.  I have a note in to C-T for advice.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    VI said: "I put my belly in the fridge this morning to cure for a week". So Gary how do you walk around =)) =)) =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    I put my belly in the fridge this morning to cure for a week.  I recently got the Amazing Smoker, and it has gone out on me shortly after lighting both times I've tried it.  I have a note in to C-T for advice.

@VI, well I guess we both have +/- 7 days to figure it out.
    :))
  • Mickey said:
    VI said: "I put my belly in the fridge this morning to cure for a week". So Gary how do you walk around =)) =)) =))
    Sigh ..... I'm afraid THAT belly wouldn't fit in the fridge.   :(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Make sure the vent on the bottom is fully open and the DW is off. I haven't had a problem with using pellets if that is the style you are using. Make sure you are following the directions Todd provides you, if you have problems just email him, he is super helpful.

The Amaze-N-Smoker is by no means required, however, it does make it fairly simple to cold smoke.

You can do either hot smoke or cold smoke. I know CT prefers the cold smoke now that he has tried both ways. Most people I have seen do it do the cold smoke.
  • Chubbs
    Make sure the vent on the bottom is fully open and the DW is off. I haven't had a problem with using pellets if that is the style you are using. Make sure you are following the directions Todd provides you, if you have problems just email him, he is super helpful.

The Amaze-N-Smoker is by no means required, however, it does make it fairly simple to cold smoke.

You can do either hot smoke or cold smoke. I know CT prefers the cold smoke now that he has tried both ways. Most people I have seen do it do the cold smoke.
    So for cold do you only have the amaze n smoker in there (no charcoal)? That is where I am confused.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

I just lay the cold smoke generator on top of the used charcoal without cleaning.  A little sawdust fire is nothing to get excited about. 

You guys are in for a treat.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• See Focker's comment, apparently it is six to one, half dozen to the other.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    anyone know how cold is too cold for cold smoking? My setup doesnt generate any heat in the where the meat is and the ambient temps aren't supposed to be above freezing for a few days (been around 20*F for highs the past few days. I have a couple slabs that need smoked but am thinking I need to wait for it to be a bit warmer out.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    For you cold smoke lovers; how about this idea; clean out the egg, and throw chucks of hickory in and just light that.  Wouldn't four or five chunks burn low but give of plenty of smoke?  I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for my first bacon.  Thought that might work.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Chubbs said:
    Make sure the vent on the bottom is fully open and the DW is off. I haven't had a problem with using pellets if that is the style you are using. Make sure you are following the directions Todd provides you, if you have problems just email him, he is super helpful.

So for cold do you only have the amaze n smoker in there (no charcoal)? That is where I am confused.
    yes. No lump, clean fire box. AMS on the grate, bottom wide open and top off. If you get the pellet smoker (which is the one I have) light it with a torch for about a minute until that in is fully on fire. let it burn for 3-5 minutes until 2-3 inches of the pellets are really going good. Then blow it out and set on the grate. I get 12-14 hrs of continuous smoke this way. I told Gary earlier, make sure your pellets are really packed in and uniform around the corners. I ad it go out on a corner one time, but other than that, it has worked like a champ. I did 5 slabs of bacon Saturday night and it was still going strong at 10am yesterday morning. The dome Thermo was registering no heat at all. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    edited January 2013
    anyone know how cold is too cold for cold smoking? My setup doesnt generate any heat in the where the meat is and the ambient temps aren't supposed to be above freezing for a few days (been around 20*F for highs the past few days. I have a couple slabs that need smoked but am thinking I need to wait for it to be a bit warmer out.

I've done cheese with an ambient of 25*F, 2 hours and no problems with a good flavor.  Frost was still on the egg at the end.  When I researched, consensus seemed to be that cold smoking can be done at these temps, it just takes longer to reach the desired smoke flavor. 

I'd smoke during the day at highest temps, slice, taste, smoke more if needed the next day same time.  Moving the eggs into the sunlight would help.  You won't hurt anything at these temps.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• It does raise the temp in the egg a little so I think you might be ok at those temps. I wouldn't go much lower (like where the food would freeze) but that's just me. I don't know that would negatively affect the smoke. Just a guess.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

+1 for C-T lighting method, I do the same and have had no problems.

Chubbs Hot smoke at 200 degrees until IT of bacon is 155 (about 2-3 hours). Cold smoked some the other day with the AMS like C-T's, temp. inside the egg was 65-75 when measured with a Thermapen through the eggs temp. gauge hole. I don't think there is a to low temp. for cold smoke, what you want is smoke not heat. For sure you don't want to be over 100 degrees, because then it starts cooking.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs

Thanks CT, so you would definitely suggest cold smoking with AMS vs hot smoking at 175-200? You use pellets instead of saw dust in AMS?

If you cold smoke, obviously it doesn't get to internal of 150 like hot smoking. How long do you keep it in if you cold smoke? Any difference in slicing it between the two? Sorry so many questions, and your help is definitely appreciated.

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I just smoked my first batch of bacon.  Used the amazen cold smoker with saw dust.  Worked perfectly.  I was afraid it would be too cold out so i put a 60 watt bulb in my egg.  The bulb and the amazen smoker generated enough heat to keep the inside of the egg around 60 degrees (it was about 20 degrees outside). 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013
    I cold smoked mine for 10 hours, might go 8 next time. The smoke was a little heavy for me. I use pellets in mine. Traeger has 20 lb. bags, apple, hickory, cherry, oak, alder and mequite. This is a more reasonable way to buy the pellets. If you want other types of wood, peach, pecan, etc. I got some from AMS, but it gets expensive for the amount you get.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Focker

A great source for sawdust.

http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?Flavored%20Smokin%27%20Dust

No torch required for lighting, more consistent burn, lighter smoke, smaller fire.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Chubbs

Thanks @Focker! Great resource. Noted.

I think I may try cold and hot smoking to see which we prefer. Thanks for all of the help. Looking forward to this.

• Mighty_Quinn
    It does raise the temp in the egg a little so I think you might be ok at those temps. I wouldn't go much lower (like where the food would freeze) but that's just me. I don't know that would negatively affect the smoke. Just a guess.

my setup (2 eggs and dryer vent hose) does not raise the temp in the smoke chamber (large egg) at all and being so far below freezing is my worry...I would think the bacon (surface at least) will begin to freeze over the many hours it'll be out there. They are drying in fridge to form pellicle now...I may just stop that and foodsaver them and then prep for smoking next weekend when it's at least gonna be in the 40s...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    it's currently 6.6* and snowing lightly here so no sun to move eggs into to help..this is gonna have to wait for another day...
  • Focker
    edited January 2013

How long do you intend to smoke?

Going from fridge to those ambients would still give you a good window before freezing.  Even if it starts to freeze it will still absorb smoke.  You could split it up into two or three shorter smokes?  Historically, that is how cold smoking has been done.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Chubbs
    I put my belly in the fridge this morning to cure for a week.  I recently got the Amazing Smoker, and it has gone out on me shortly after lighting both times I've tried it.  I have a note in to C-T for advice.

VI, you using the dust or pellets? I read use a torch to get the dust going, but I am new to this so not too sure.
  • @village idiot

Not sure, but maybe this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmVcyWYXnI

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Mighty_Quinn
    Focker said:

How long do you intend to smoke?

Going from fridge to those ambients would still give you a good window before freezing.  Even if it starts to freeze it will still absorb smoke.  You could split it up into two or three shorter smokes?  Historically, that is how cold smoking has been done.

I was thinking on doing at least 8 hours and then start to check and see if I get the color/smokiness I'm looking for....figuring it might go 12+hours... Thanks for advice!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

it's currently 6.6* and snowing lightly here so no sun to move eggs into to help..this is gonna have to wait for another day...
    The light bulb trick worked great for me.  I would give that a try.  Maybe use a 100 watt bulb to produce a little bit more heat.  I put the light bulb in about 30 minutes before i added the cold smoker.
  • Focker

For the Pro-Q, I have used a tea candle and even a grill lighter to get it going.

Chubbs, the video MJ posted shows you what kind of smoke you are looking for...thin and blue.  Same as doing BBQ on the egg.  Billowing white smoke...not good.

It is only sawdust, a torch is convenient but not necessary.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Mighty_Quinn
    Hmm....I do have a heat mat for seed starting that I might be able to put in the large egg. I'm not sure i have an small enough fixture to use a light bulb. Good idea, thanks!
  • Chubbs said:

Thanks CT, so you would definitely suggest cold smoking with AMS vs hot smoking at 175-200? You use pellets instead of saw dust in AMS?

If you cold smoke, obviously it doesn't get to internal of 150 like hot smoking. How long do you keep it in if you cold smoke? Any difference in slicing it between the two? Sorry so many questions, and your help is definitely appreciated.

Yes- I very much prefer the texture of cold smoked over hot smoked. and yes I use pellets. I don't know that is any better, I just bought the AMS that had the longest possible burn time which is the pellet version. It burns sawdust too so it's also the most versatile.

I don't measure internal temp at all. I just let it go until it burns out. Like 12-14 hrs. I do it indirect though so that may make a difference. I have an adjustable rig that I put the stone in and go 2-3 grids when needed