Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need some suggestions for BGE chicken on a can (first time ever!)

Hello guys,
My girlfriend got me a BGE for Xmas and I used it to cook some wild boar ribs and loin this afternoon. its amazing how juicy the small loins stayed. I just threw some soaked Apple wood chips on the hot coals and put a dry rubbed chicken over the beer can pot thing in a drip tray. I also used the plate for indirect cooking. My question is, how long and at what temp should I cook this chicken? I have heard everything from 250 for 2-4hrs to 375 for 45 mins. I need some GOOD advice for my first chicken. 
Thanks in advance

Comments

• 375 to 400 degrees. One hour forty five mins. Check leg, if pulls loose done. Hard to mess up beer can chicken. Enjoy your egg
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome to the zoo. 
    Don't beer can it, either use a vertical roaster or better yet spatchcock it - take the backbone out and butterfly it. i prefer indirect 400-426, others do direct.
    You do not need to soak your smoke wood, just cut off the air by closing the vents to the appropriate amount and you will get all the smoke you need. Mix the smoke wood, chunk or chips in with the lump. Light only one place on the top and the smoke will last for hours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I agree with the above post. However you can check like he said, but remember you should always cook to temp not time. 
  • Thanks for the tips! The breast was PERFECT but one thigh was a little under cooked, the other was a little more then a little under cooked :/ 
    The breast hit 165F after I pulled it from the BGE so I thought it would be good to go. I know for next time. This was easily the best chicken I have ever made! I cant wait to try out a wild boar ham on it tomorrow! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the tips! The breast was PERFECT but one thigh was a little under cooked, the other was a little more then a little under cooked :/ 
    The breast hit 165F after I pulled it from the BGE so I thought it would be good to go. I know for next time. This was easily the best chicken I have ever made! I cant wait to try out a wild boar ham on it tomorrow! 
    One of the reasons I take spatchcock to the next level.... Seemed you wanted a nice looking "whole" bird, looks good. 
    After taking the backbone out, take off the leg/thigh, split the breast and remove the wings so you have 6 pieces. Egg at 400 indirect. Put the leg/thigh on, 10 minutes later the breasts, 10 minutes later the wings. Total cook time about 1 hour. The legs will be at 175+, the breast at 160+, the wings, 170+. All good. 

LS cooks whole chickens inverted, the higher in the dome the higher the heat, so if you cook inverted, the legs/thighs get more heat, the breast less. I really don't care about "presentation" anymore, so I chop shop them as noted above. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks for the tips! The breast was PERFECT but one thigh was a little under cooked, the other was a little more then a little under cooked :/ 
    One of the reasons I take spatchcock to the next level.... Seemed you wanted a nice looking "whole" bird. 
    After taking the backbone out, take off the leg/thigh, split the breast and remove the wings so you have 6 pieces. Egg at 400 indirect. Put the leg/thigh on, 10 minutes later the breasts, 10 minutes later the wings. Total cook time about 1 hour. The legs will be at 175, the breast at 160, the wings, 170. All good. 
    this sounds perfect. what do you use for seasoning? I used "Dillo dust" rub, shock top raspberry wheat beer in the can thingamajig, and soaked apple wood chips. the taste was really different and great. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    You're cooking wild boar and your GF bought you a BGE for xmas.  Life is good, eh?   ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure