Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs (Kalbi)

Comments

• This recipe has a full cup of sugar in it. Even though it's awesome, it's not low carb
    True.  I guess I was a little misleading.  But the sugar is for the marinade and it's not like you're consuming the whole cup of sugar.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The guy with the tie is VI. 

love ya, bud. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • One of my favorites.  I get the ribs from a Mexican market.  They are sliced much thinner than flankenribs.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • This recipe has a full cup of sugar in it. Even though it's awesome, it's not low carb
    True.  I guess I was a little misleading.  But the sugar is for the marinade and it's not like you're consuming the whole cup of sugar.
    very True. I'm pretty liberal with my marinades when I go low carb and I would probably cut down or do 1/2 Splenda 1/2 sugar or something but I would still eat it. It's crazy how much sugar can be in asian marinades though! I can't wait to tear into this one though. and my wok will be here from SF while I'm in NY next week. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for some pointers. I'm so excited to learn to cook asian. I suck at it and it's right at the top of the way we like to eat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Excellent cook and pictures! I was planning a trip to a large Asian market closer to Boston to get some hard to find ingredients for some upcoming stir-frys. Looks like my shopping list got longer. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the link.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • jfm0830 said:
    Excellent cook and pictures! I was planning a trip to a large Asian market closer to Boston to get some hard to find ingredients for some upcoming stir-frys. Looks like my shopping list got longer. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the link.

Jim

Grab a pork belly when you are there
  • The guy with the tie is VI. 

love ya, bud. 

I can only say that if i were VI, I would take that as a compliment. If I were to try any of those moves, I would require medical care for well over a week
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

Yeah, I'd break my neck.  I may have more hair than that dude, but he would definitely outdance me.  ;)

• Yes, I confess that was me in the video.  That always happens to me when I taste one of Mickey's charbroiled chicken wings.  :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    jfm0830 said:

Jim

Grab a pork belly when you are there
    Strangely enough I have no problem getting hold of pork bellies. One of the local butcher shops supplies a lot of restaurants in the area and pork bellies are a popular item. I can usually call them in the morning and have a pork belly at my local branch in the afternoon.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Cen-Tex we were in Central Market yesterday (Lamar /Austin) and they has pork bellies.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The recipe says it would feed 4 to 6. I think closer to 6, but let's use 4 instead. Only a fourth or less of the marinade will stick, meaning you have a tablespoon or less of sugar per serving. Not terrible. The sugar generates the deep char. 

What you shouldn't be eating is the short ribs. ... Try Vietnamese grilled beef on a salad instead.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm said:
    Only a fourth or less of the marinade will stick, meaning you have a tablespoon or less of sugar per serving. Not terrible. The sugar generates the deep char. 

Actually, it's better than that.  When I transferred the meat that was rubbed in brown sugar to the marinade (which does not include brown sugar), I noticed a lot of brown goo at the bottom of the bowl.  That was the brown sugar which had leached moisture from the meat.  I don't know the science or the reason, but I think that was the purpose of the brown sugar and not much went into the marinade.  The slight sweet taste on the final meat supposedly comes from the Asian pear.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey said:
    Cen-Tex we were in Central Market yesterday (Lamar /Austin) and they has pork bellies.

That's where I get mine but man they are proud of them ($4.99lb)
  • Very nice Gary.  
    You wrote that y'all like the flap steak better, was it the taste or the chew?  Last time I had flanken ribs there was a little more chew than I liked.  
    =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Very nice Gary.  
    You wrote that y'all like the flap steak better, was it the taste or the chew?  Last time I had flanken ribs there was a little more chew than I liked.  
    =D>
    It was the chew, Joan.  Flap steak is just a better cut of meat.  I'm considering making that for Salado, and might use beef tenderloin.   :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey said:

Have you tried getting a pork belly at La Michoacana?  The meat market on Bee Caves in Westlake also has bellies priced about the same as CM.  The butcher out on Hudson Bend can get you some, but will require a preorder.

• Mickey said:

Have you tried getting a pork belly at La Michoacana?  The meat market on Bee Caves in Westlake also has bellies priced about the same as CM.  The butcher out on Hudson Bend can get you some, but will require a preorder.

i've never been to the guy in hudson bend. where is he?
  • 5000 Hudson Bend Road x street from the Los Pinos mexican restaurant.  I have not ordered one from him yet, but it is on my to order list.  Everything I have purchased from him has been top quality.  We really like his market bacon.
  • 5000 Hudson Bend Road x street from the Los Pinos mexican restaurant.  I have not ordered one from him yet, but it is on my to order list.  Everything I have purchased from him has been top quality.  We really like his market bacon.

Cool. I'll check him out for sure. Just a few minutes from the house
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    jfm0830 said:

Jim
    If you're ever passing through Burlington, check out a supermarket called "H Mart".
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Burlington VT? I think I have some illegitimate children up there. Say high to the chillis girls for me. Such lovely ladies.

I spent a spring up there learning how to climb and repel. It was called Mountian warfare school. I had the time of my life.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Let the games begin :)

Don's Bogam, Koreatown NYC

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Let the games begin :) Don's Bogam, Koreatown NYC

Hmmmmph !  Amateurs !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I would still rather eat yours but it was really good.
  • I would still rather eat yours but it was really good.
    Ahhhh. For that, I'll have a present for you in Salado, buddy !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• :x
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2013
    Just did VI's recipe on flap meat from Costco, unbelievable flavor!!!! I made the full marinade recipe so I used the whole 3-1/2 lb flap meat package. 25 degrees out and snowing at the mountain house, so no pics. Since there is just the two of us, we have plenty of left overs, will be doing fajitas tomorrow. I'll use this again on skirt steak, it's much better than the teriyaki marinade that we usually get on the skirts. Thanks VI.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Just had fajitas with the left overs, added some bell peppers, onions, avocados, sour cream and burgundy mushrooms,. I can't say enough about this marinade!!! Give it a try.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Billyray - It is an awesome sauce. I made the marinade and simmered it on the stove until it was thick enough to coat the back of a spoon- about 30 minutes and tossed with some fried wings. MDSH loved them. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !