Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does NO gasket = more lump usage?

Since frying the gasket completely off the egg I have noticed that I am burning lump at a much higher rate.  Now this could also because its been colder out.  The vent settings are enev open larger now to achieve the same temps (using a maverick and the dome to show this).

Is it the gasket or the cold temps? 

For example I have loaded the firebox to the top and did a 3 hour cook at 350 last weekend.  Today I checked it and almost all the lump is gone where as in the past I still had at least 1/2 a fire box to go.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Think it might be the cooler temps, unless you have a noticeable leak...
    After I fried my OEM BGE wool gasket, I cooked for at least a month with no gasket. My dealer gave me a BGE high temp and I installed it. No real difference in lump useage. 

Easiest way to check is to snuff it out and see if it does in fact go out right away. 
    I think you may have answered your own question, in that you note the vents are open more. 
    More air= More lump burned. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Smoke definitely comes out the sides at times where the gasket should be.

Garnerville, NY
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    I fried my gasket up after the first few months.  I tried without one, and when shutting down my egg, most of my lump would get burned up.  This convinced me to always go with a gasket.  I put on a Rutland and couldn't be happier with it.  Now I have lump left over for the next cook every time. All eggs are not the same.  Some have a better lid/base fits then others.  Mine wasn't very good.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• if you go gasketless, you need to adjust your dome so it fits as snugly as possible. If you don't, it will not shut down like choke said.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • robnybbq
    Ok. Next weekend then. Will need new bolts for the bands would put a new gasket on but too cold out

Garnerville, NY
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    No it does not.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not on my three.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    Yes or no, depends on the seal between base and dome as addressed above.  Air flow=lump consumption.  More air flow...When you shut down if you have an air gap you will still have air flow...you know how this ends!  Gasket or commando is your call :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    This is a pic from Christmas. NO gasket on this Egg in over 4 years. No problem and shuts off just fine. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos And Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I've been cooking for 11 months now without a gasket on an XL and a LBGE and the only issue I see is the dome is dirty on the outside from when some smoke leaks.  I have no particular intention to replace the gaskets.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• robnybbq
    I just fired mine up and allot more smoke coming out where the gasket was then I thought.  This is probably the issue.  But wouldn't the vents be closed more for the same temps?  My vent settings are way off compared to the summer.  350 - 1.5 inches open plus the DW petals open and slid over with a 1/3 inch opening.  Where as in thr summer/fall - 3/4 inch on bottom and just the DW petals open.

Garnerville, NY
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Vent settings might be different. I dont really know, my gasket burnt off on its second cook and I never replaced it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • robnybbq
    I just have to adjust the dome so it seals better.  I'll try and find new bolts this week to do it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391

My large egg only leaked minimally, without the gasket.

I did finally replace it with a Rutland, mostly only because of the feel and sound of ceramic against ceraminc when I closed the dome.

Other then that, really, no problem though.

RicklessssssS in Oregon

PS Am really liking the Rutland gasket...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    ive never changed the bolts and have had the dome off several dozen times.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    I have the bolts bent over pretty good (like the instructions said to - Yes I actually read the instructions for once).  I want a spare bolt in case I snap the ones on there.

I have a new gasket but I do not think it will stick in the cold.

Went through a full firebox for a 375 - 1 hour plus 45 minute ramp up cook last night.  Took a long time to get up to temp as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    When my gasket first fried it didn't fry completely...I had a big area where the gasket was burning away.  I think this is actually worse than no gasket as it allows more air in and out.  When I had this situation, I definitely noticed more lump usage. I'm pretty sure the biggest culprit was the fact that when I shut down the egg it never sealed up tight.  Air was being sucked in enough to keep the fire going and the lump would continue to burn.  

It sounds like you have the right idea already.  If you want to go with no gasket- I would suggest scraping off any remaining gasket and then adjust the dome to make it seal as well as you can with no gasket.  

FWIW- I decided to replace mine with a high queue gasket and that worked great for a while- but it has also now burned up in a small spot that is continuing to grow so now I'm back where I was.  I think I might soon find myself in the no gasket camp.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    SmokeyPitt come join us, the water is fine in the no gasket camp