Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoke bacon questions

2»

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Thanks for all your help. Off to the store to getthe rest of my ingredient
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    billyray said:
    I'm doing Centex pig candy right now, should be done in about a 1/2 hour. Will post pics. I sampled one and boy was it good!
    yeah buddy. That stuff is awesome. like crack

Here's the pig candy. @250 for 3 hours, next time will try 250 for 2 hours.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Lookin' good billyray.

Haven't looked at this recipe, but what is the benefit of cubing the bacon as opposed to the traditional strips with a liberal coating of brown sugar, chiles, crushed pecans, etc?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I only cubed the pieces I cut off to square up the slab for slicing. I had to pull them away from my wife, like Centex said they are like crack.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2013
    you can absolutely use strips for pig candy and "millionaire bacon" but I use the odds and ends for that stuff. Strips are just as good but I cube up the odd bits as lardons and slow roast them for many things. Pig candy is good but lardons make great soup/bean flavorings, bacon bits, and tons of other stuff. I always try to get a pound of lardons out of a full belly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Thanks guys.  Aware of lardons, didn't know if the cubes create a different texture when made into pig candy?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker said:
    Thanks guys.  Aware of lardons, didn't know if the cubes create a different texture when made into pig candy?

They do have a different texture. Crispy outside, gooey middle. yum
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX