Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Questions

Options
I was wondering what type of monitoring devices I need to make best use of LGBE. Due to price concerns, what combination would be best?

(1) Thermapen and cheap Thermoworks oven thermometer/timer now;

(2) Thermapen and just use dome thermometer now, Maverick ET-732 later (month or 2 down the line); or

(3) Thermoworks TW8060 and Thermoworks cheap instant read (RT600 for $19 or RT301A for $16) now with upgrade to Thermapen down the line.

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Thermapen first off no matter what. Use it inside and outside as it is a pro tool.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Beyond the thermapen, a good remote thermo so you can monitor the cook w/o having to open the BGE all the time.  Maverick is the rig of choice-I am using a scientific american and it works just fine.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Beyond the thermapen, a good remote thermo so you can monitor the cook w/o having to open the BGE all the time.  Maverick is the rig of choice-I am using a scientific american and it works just fine.
    +1, I use the Mav for low and slow only and to monitor pit temp for other roasts, as a timer - so I do not leave my starter in for more than 8 minutes.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    Options
    I am not allowed to get an expensive instant read and an expensive remote thermo right now. I need to get a cheap one or the other and upgrade later down the road. I can get a cheap thermo works oven thermo and the thermapen but that won't give me the grill temp. Or I can get a cheaper instant read (RT301A reads in 5 sec with good accuracy below 300) and a good remote thermo. I would then upgrade the inferior component down the line (likely in June).
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams