Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Prime Rib (Finally)

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who helped me out cooking my first prime rib on the Egg. I've cooked one once before, but it was in an oven and there have been many days and bourbons since then, so my memory of that even is hazy at best. I couldn't have done it without y'alls help.

13.89 lber

Seasoned up

Onto my new adjustabe rig on the egg at 250

Searing it

A note from the peanut gallery as we waited on it to rest

carved

The picture doesn't really do it much justice. It was a lot pinker than it looks there. Not used to taking pictures in my Mom's kitchen.

Everything woked out great. Well...almost. I never asked how long the sear was supposed to take. I erred on the side of caution and as a result, didn't sear it long enough. Got a bit freaked out, threw the AR back on and finished cooking it indirectly. Other than that, things went great. I took way too long doing the write up on my blog, so I actually need to get some work done, so if you are interested in a very long and verbous version of all the details (and a few mor pictures), you can check it out there. Thanks again for all the help.

The Not So Perfect Prime Rib Cook

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Looks good!
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Griff - looks good. That is one huge piece of meat. IMHO This is easier if you take the bones off, trim a bit more than usual of the fat cap (your's looks pretty good) and tie to make the roast round. A roast this size with an egg of this size, you have no room to move the roast as the sear takes off. I usually take the internal to about 120, foil it in a warm oven for 5-15 minutes depending on where the internal was, sear for color only, you can't cook the inside of this thing with the sear. 

Great job.... The family was happy I bet.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks awesome as usual griff! Love the napkin drawing too. Talented lil artist.

Need to do a prime rib already.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

yeah...I think I'm gonna do boneless from now on. That way you can tie it up and make a cylinder and it will cook better. And trim it more. The peanut gallery was worried I was trimming to much fat off and sometimes you just have to listen to Mom (even when you know she is wrong)

My Uncle David drew that. Quite an artist. All from memory, not looking at anything when he drew it. Theres a lot of artistic talent in our family....I just didn't get any.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You are a culinary artist!  Don't sell yourself short!  ;)  That all looks amazing.  Very nice job, start to finish. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great cook-never a doubt. Congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook-never a doubt. Congrats!

That makes one of us. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited December 2012
    That looks truly excellent Griffin!! You can tell how moist it was from couple of those pictures. Standing rib roast is so expensive it can be kind of intimidating doing it, but the reality is it's really forgiving roast.

After you've used it a bit, you'll have to let us know how you like your new adjustable rig.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • It does look great!  The only thing i can add is that i prefer the roast bone in, strictly for flavor purposes (plus the dog likes it that way too!!!!)

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I followed your method to the letter, to include the reverse sear and being freaked out by the amount of smoke when I put it on direct at 500.  I opened the dome and suddenly became completely enveloped in smoke.  Not lying, I couldn't see a thing for a good two seconds. 

I felt like the fat dripping on to the coals was creating so much smoke that I risked negatively affecting the taste of the meat.  So, I shut down everything, dropped the temps back down to about 300 and replaced the plate setter.  I let the temp climb to 135, pulled it and let it rest for about 20 minutes.  I loosely covered it in tin foil, which I think was a mistake, because it let the temp climb a bit more than I wanted.  When I cut into it, it was pinkish at best.  Probably a bit past medium, and I wanted a bit under. 

The family loved it. The flavor of the meat was delicious, and everyone was kind enough to compliment me on it.  The au jus recipe you posted was MONEY! 

When I opened the dome to turn it, and disappeared into smoke, I couldn't help but laugh and immediately think of your story.  I was already stressed because (like you) the rest of our family Christmas dinner was ready (we celebrated today), and I was missing the Huskers bowl game.  At the time, we had the lead.  Oh well...it was a strong showing.  Your Bears looked great!

All in all, today was a successful cook.  I just got a kick out of the similarities between your experience and mine today.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE